Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Not as I think you are, but..." Quote
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:26 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
There was something like "Lord, may I know you, not as I think you are, but as you actually are".

TheJack quoted it once. I think it's from Lewis or Newman.

What is the actual quote?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: "Not as I think you are, but..." Quote
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:07 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
You may even encourage him to attach great importance to the correction and improvement of his composite object, and to keeping it steadily before his imagination during the whole prayer. For if he ever comes to make the distinction, if ever he consciously directs his prayers “Not to what I think thou art but to what thou knowest thyself to be”, our situation is, for the moment, desperate. Once all his thoughts and images have been flung aside or, if retained, retained with a full recognition of their merely subjective nature, and the man trusts himself to the completely real, external, invisible Presence, there with him in the room and never knowable by him as he is known by it — why, then it is that the incalculable may occur. In avoiding this situation — this real nakedness of the soul in prayer — you will be helped by the fact that the humans themselves do not desire it as much as they suppose. There’s such a thing as getting more than they bargained for!

Lewis, Screwtape Letters, last but of chapter 4

Here's a link of the entire chapter being read by John Cleese. It's worth a listen if not a full read:

https://youtu.be/J8iQqxj_8YA

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3