Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Common good quote meaning
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:44 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
We now inhabit a social order whose institutional heterogeneity and diversity of interests is such that no place is left any longer for a politics of the common good. What we have instead is a politics from whose agendas enquiry concerning the nature of that politics has been excluded, a politics thereby protected from perceptions of its own exclusions and limitations. Enquiry into the nature of the common good of political society has become therefore crucial for understanding contemporary politics. For until we know how to think about the common good, we will not know how to evaluate the significance of those exclusions and limitations.

- Alasdair MacIntyre, ”Politics, Philosophy, and the Common Good.“

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: Common good quote meaning
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:16 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Borrowing from gherkin in the other thread, gives me an idea:

Now, politics has lost sight of the common good. (Deny such a notion altogether, or deny what exactly is the common good?)
But to criticize and reform and improve politics, we need the idea of common good. Since they don't have this idea, they can't see their faults. If we don't have this idea, we can't see their faults.

Am I understanding this correctly?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

:popcorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I don't think your last sentence is quite correct. We might be able to see the faults, but we won't know how to evaluate their effect on society.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Thank you. On a more basic note, in classical thought, what exactly is the common good? I've encountered this word in many places, but don't have a good grasp of what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:21 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It sounds to me like MacIntyre is about to explain. Or is that an excerpt you encountered elsewhere?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I encountered the quote/excerpt. I'm not reading anything written by him rn. I've got far too many other things to read!

The idea of common good is something I've seen in many Catholic-ish places, but I haven't seen anyone actually explain the concept.