Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Faith
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:50 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Why is God so pleased with faith?

I have my own ideas but I wanted to ask you all, to maybe get a true and different perspective on this

Post subject: Re: Faith
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:19 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

But without faith it is impossible to please God. For he that cometh to God, must believe that he is, and is a rewarder to them that seek him. Hb 11:6

The first answer to the question is that this is something we know by revelation. Unless I am missing the mark, it is not a subject otherwise attainable by reason.

"You seek me", St. Augustine comments, "for the flesh, not for the spirit. How many seek Jesus for no other purpose than that He may do them good in this present life! [...] Scarcely ever is Jesus sought for Jesus' sake" (In Ioann. Evang, 25, 10).

“therefore is my people led away captive, because they have not knowledge … therefore hath hell enlarged her mouth without any bounds” (Is 5:13-14).

But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. (Mt 24:13)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:11 pm 

Like any parent who is pleased when a child does well, God can be pleased with us. He doesn't need our faith, but He knows that it is for our benefit, so that pleases Him.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:28 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
We all need to pray daily, whether we feel like it or not.

Sometimes it may seem that God is not listening, although He always hears us.

We need faith that He loves us infinitely and always desires what is best for us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:59 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Strider wrote:
Why is God so pleased with faith?

I have my own ideas but I wanted to ask you all, to maybe get a true and different perspective on this

Could it be that faith is an act of love, and by exercising faith, we are really entering into an act of love.

And love is what we are called to become as followers of Christ.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
I don't believe there's a definitive answer for this. It's the kind of question more useful for meditation and devotion. That doesn't make it a bad question. Just that we don't have the answer.

In my own reflection, I keep coming back to the question, if God speaks all into being, then what better response than to hear and believe? If all comes from God, then all that I can give Him is nothing more than He has already given me. I cannot contribute anything to His being, to His joy, to His perfection. Even my praises to Him are for my benefit and His gifts to me. Given that, it seems entirely fitting that what pleases God is faith. To see Him as True. To rely on His steadfastness. To rest in Him. Then any works of faith I do are seen to be His own works through me. So then, truly, without faith it would be impossible to please Him, and even more, even my good works done apart from faith would actually be sin, as they would, in some sense, be me thinking Him a liar, as if I came up with them and were trying to supply some need of His. But such is absurd! So faith, it seems to me, is the first and last response to God's Perfection.

So it seems to me.

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
I have pondered this a lot and I have come to the conclusion that to hold something as true, you can either have faith or evidence. When you are dealing with things like the distance between the earth and the sun, or whether or not Cyrus the Great existed, then evidence is preferred. But, when the thing you are trying to know is whether you love someone, or are loved by someone, there is a problem with evidence, and faith begins to win the day.

My wife can try to provide evidence of her love for me with gifts or other nice acts. But, if my knowledge of her love for me relies only on these then I will ultimately be unhappy or unfulfilled. She cannot possibly provide a continuous supply of evidence. And if she tried, she would eventually resent me. Why should I need such a thing? Can't I just believe? Can't I just trust? I think true love requires a faith without evidence. It is a profound encounter where two wills accept, without continuous acts of evidence, that they accept each other. It is quite simple. If you tried to base it on anything else, you would ruin it. So, faith is the ideal in relationship. It's scary, but it is the ideal.

FJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:23 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

I think it is like the double slit experiment in quantum mechanics. I use this image when I speak of grading in schools. Real education happens with relationship and oftentimes our desire for exact measurement of student progress (which is actually impossible) has us "collapsing the wave function." We actually turn off real learning the more we try to measure what is actually an unmeasurable thing. I think the same is true in any relationship. The more evidence we try to provide for something like "love" the more we collapse it into something that actually isn't love.

FJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:32 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

(sorry doom for the repetition) - I think the struggle between measuring and having faith for humans is due to our hylomorphic nature. It is a struggle between our material desire to measure things and seek evidence, and our spirit's desire to rest in something without movement. So, we often struggle between wanting to just "be loved" but also the need to see signs of that love as reassurance. I think it is a body/soul struggle that doesn't have to be at war with each other. They are meant to complimentary, but I think the premise of your question exposes that they are, in fact, often at odds with each other. This is a result of the fall, imho.

FJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:01 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

forumjunkie wrote:
I have pondered this a lot and I have come to the conclusion that to hold something as true, you can either have faith or evidence. When you are dealing with things like the distance between the earth and the sun, or whether or not Cyrus the Great existed, then evidence is preferred. But, when the thing you are trying to know is whether you love someone, or are loved by someone, there is a problem with evidence, and faith begins to win the day.

My wife can try to provide evidence of her love for me with gifts or other nice acts. But, if my knowledge of her love for me relies only on these then I will ultimately be unhappy or unfulfilled. She cannot possibly provide a continuous supply of evidence. And if she tried, she would eventually resent me. Why should I need such a thing? Can't I just believe? Can't I just trust? I think true love requires a faith without evidence. It is a profound encounter where two wills accept, without continuous acts of evidence, that they accept each other. It is quite simple. If you tried to base it on anything else, you would ruin it. So, faith is the ideal in relationship. It's scary, but it is the ideal.

FJ

I was thinking something similar.