Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: On morality... again
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:06 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Can you give me a brief big picture on why some things are good and must be done, while some other things are evil and must be avoided?

I know I've already asked this... but I find myself unable to articulate it now.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: On morality... again
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:13 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Found this:

Quote:
The Catholic answer is that sin is not an arbitrary list of dos-and-donts. Rather, the things that help a human flourish are good, whereas sin is always, one way or another, destructive of self. In other words, sin is built into what it means to be human.
This is a statement (perhaps overly simplified) of the basic principle underlying natural law.
If I own (and drive) a car, I need to change the oil regularly. That means that the injunction in the owner's manual to change the oil is not an arbitrary imposition--it's simply what's necessary to keep the car running. Likewise, sin in one way or another always leaves us running less efficiently, makes us less human.

What does "destructive" and "flourishing" mean here?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:11 pm 
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
“Flourish,” in this context, is a synonym to “thrive.” It means growing in a positive and salubrious manner. “Destructive” alludes to the opposite of “flourish” here. Its context paints a picture of the human being, who had thrived in the healthiness of goodness, now finding him/herself falling ill due to the effects of sin.

The thing is that one never knows what kind of destruction will result from a particular sin (or unabated series of sins). It could be a sudden, acute attack; a chronic series of sufferings, or a moral decay so subtle that its effects go unrecognized by the ind, who turns a deaf ear to the warnings of those who do notice.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:58 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
To quote Mammy Yokum, "Good is better than evil because it's nicer."