Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Error in video concerning the 'Moses seat' in Synagogues
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:55 am 

Religion: Christian
I came across the following video by Mr. Ray on YouTube (link is to the 1:45 mark where the statement in question is made):

https://youtu.be/2O3RSfCAles?t=105

I just wanted to respectfully point out an error. Mr. Ray, when discussing the Keil and Delitzsch commentary on the Old Testament states:

"In it they [Keil and Delitzsch] say: that when Moses came down from Mt. Sinai and took his seat among the people, God gave Moses the infallible gift of interpretation..."

The commentary referred to is in the public domain and can be read online. The statement is actually in the commentary on Genesis 41, not Exodus 13, as alluded to. The commentary states the following:

"This promotion of Joseph, from the position of a Hebrew slave pining in prison to the highest post of honour in the Egyptian kingdom, is perfectly conceivable, on the one hand, from the great importance attached in ancient times to the interpretation of dreams and to all occult science, especially among the Egyptians, and on the other hand, from the despotic form of government in the East; but the miraculous power of God is to be seen in the fact, that God endowed Joseph with the gift of infallible interpretation, and so ordered the circumstances that this gift opened the way for him to occupy that position in which he became the preserver, not of Egypt alone, but of his own family also."

This commentary is here:

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/kad/genesis/41.htm

The commentary is regarding Joseph and the interpretation of Pharaoh's dream, not Moses and the interpretation of Scripture.

Post subject: Re: Error in video concerning the 'Moses seat' in Synagogues
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:09 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
OK, Steve made the correction as follows,

"To make a correction. I quoted Keil and Delitzsch as saying that Moses was an infallible interpreter, when in actuality they said it in regards to the patriarch Joseph in the book of Genesis. I got the wrong person but my point still stands. God can use fallible men to make infallible interpretations. Moses also had this charism though the commentators did not specifically say so in his regard."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:26 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Hey where did ya go?
Ya see how that works if a man sees he is wrong he owns it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:07 pm 

He added that comment after I had an email exchange with him and after two of my comments respectfully pointing out the error were deleted. He said he didn't delete them and I have no evidence otherwise so I'm not going to accuse him of doing so. Maybe he has someone that assists in managing his YouTube channel. In any case, I have a screenshot of one of the comments I posted.

We had a very cordial, charitable exchange and I respect him for that.

You need no further details but things aren't always as they seem...

I will say, again, the commentary is not just referring to Joseph vs. Moses, it's referring to interpreting a dream, not Scripture (which didn't exist yet, with either of those men). Further, the phrase "infallible interpretation" is not one that appears anywhere in Scripture. There are never any Synonymous phrases (inerrant, perfect, etc.) used of mortal men. One can certainly say that true (vs. false) prophets spoke "infallibly" because their Words were God-breathed onto the pages of Scripture. Prophecies are, by definition forward-looking and verifiable (they come to be or not). After the ink on the original autograph of Scripture dried, the only way we have to verify anything is by evaluating it against that which we KNOW to be infallible. That's what "sola scriptura" is...it does NOT mean Scripture is the only authority, it means it's the only infallible authority.

The term "ex cathedra" is used to describe infallible (dogmatic) papal pronouncements under certain conditions. Do you know when that phrase was first used?

Last edited by imscoop22 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:12 pm 

I will add that Scripture never speaks of Moses having any type of infallibility. Indeed, Judaism, both ancient and modern, lack such a concept. If you believe otherwise and would like to discuss, please reference the relevant passage(s). I'd be glad to review and discuss.

Here is a Rabbi addressing the topic of "infallibility" in Judaism: http://www.mesora.org/FollowingtheRabbis.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:26 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Not sure when that term was first used?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:02 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

The Petrine Ministry establishes authority here in Mt 16; 18-19.

"Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven and whatever thou shalt bind on earth shalt be bound in heaven."

Peter is given authority. Keys

Luke 10; 16
"He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you, rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

Again the chain of command is established, with a teaching authority.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:12 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Infallibility defined in 1870.