Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 49 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:27 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm
Posts: 812
Religion: Looking for answers
Highlander wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Might I suggest that a climate change discussion is a bit off-course for apologetics? Especially because whether or not it's real has nothing to do with resolving the question of what constitutes definitive teaching.

That was a cheap shot. I was responding to an issue you raised. Which, I realize, was my mistake.

BTW, I know I know more about the tainted subject than does the Pope.

But if I hadn’t replied to you, you would have thought I was ignoring you or that I had no answer. And if I had replied, I would have been disregarding Obi’s request. So I wanted to let you know why that was the end of that discussion in this forum, as far as I was concerned.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:08 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:30 am
Posts: 8753
Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
gherkin wrote:
In reply to Treebeard's OP, I think there's a point that hasn't gotten pointed out yet (unless I missed it up there in the storm), which is the apparent snarkiness. Maybe I'm misreading you, TB, but it seems like you're taking a crack at people who post threads like the pagan worship thing. I'm sorry if I'm getting you wrong. But if I'm getting you right, then you ought to apologize. The fact is that Francis is all over the media. It's very hard not to have him in your face, especially if you read websites like the National Catholic Register or whatnot, which of course many Catholics do. And when the content of this in-your-face Francisness is his constant idiocy, it's hard to avoid being angry, confused, or otherwise distressed. Coming here--whether apologetics or the lyceum or elsewhere--to ask for help with this is thoroughly sensible. It beats silently stewing and letting that distress eat away at your Faith. Mockery--for example, implicitly referring to such questions as "obsessing" is not a fraternal response.

Point taken. (Although I'm not quite sure what to make of the "his constant idiocy" statement.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:44 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm
Posts: 812
Religion: Looking for answers
TreeBeard wrote:
gherkin wrote:
In reply to Treebeard's OP, I think there's a point that hasn't gotten pointed out yet (unless I missed it up there in the storm), which is the apparent snarkiness. Maybe I'm misreading you, TB, but it seems like you're taking a crack at people who post threads like the pagan worship thing. I'm sorry if I'm getting you wrong. But if I'm getting you right, then you ought to apologize. The fact is that Francis is all over the media. It's very hard not to have him in your face, especially if you read websites like the National Catholic Register or whatnot, which of course many Catholics do. And when the content of this in-your-face Francisness is his constant idiocy, it's hard to avoid being angry, confused, or otherwise distressed. Coming here--whether apologetics or the lyceum or elsewhere--to ask for help with this is thoroughly sensible. It beats silently stewing and letting that distress eat away at your Faith. Mockery--for example, implicitly referring to such questions as "obsessing" is not a fraternal response.

Point taken. (Although I'm not quite sure what to make of the "his constant idiocy" statement.)

Gherkin, who are what do you think the National Catholic Register should report if not so much the Pope?

I’ve never heard anyone described as “in your face” in a way which wasn’t disrespectful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:53 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76278
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Denise Dee wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:
gherkin wrote:
In reply to Treebeard's OP, I think there's a point that hasn't gotten pointed out yet (unless I missed it up there in the storm), which is the apparent snarkiness. Maybe I'm misreading you, TB, but it seems like you're taking a crack at people who post threads like the pagan worship thing. I'm sorry if I'm getting you wrong. But if I'm getting you right, then you ought to apologize. The fact is that Francis is all over the media. It's very hard not to have him in your face, especially if you read websites like the National Catholic Register or whatnot, which of course many Catholics do. And when the content of this in-your-face Francisness is his constant idiocy, it's hard to avoid being angry, confused, or otherwise distressed. Coming here--whether apologetics or the lyceum or elsewhere--to ask for help with this is thoroughly sensible. It beats silently stewing and letting that distress eat away at your Faith. Mockery--for example, implicitly referring to such questions as "obsessing" is not a fraternal response.

Point taken. (Although I'm not quite sure what to make of the "his constant idiocy" statement.)

Gherkin, who are what do you think the National Catholic Register should report if not so much the Pope?

I’ve never heard anyone described as “in your face” in a way which wasn’t disrespectful.


The fact that you that's a very vocal non-Catholic somehow feel driven by the need to defend Francis it's more than a little odd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:34 am 
Offline
There Can Be Only One
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 13017
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
The fact that you that's a very vocal non-Catholic somehow feel driven by the need to defend Francis it's more than a little odd

One who is a covert anti-Catholic might feel driven to use the Pope against the Faithful. One who is a shrouded provocateur and closet dissident might feel driven to extol Papal actions that harm the Church.

Might. Might not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:15 pm 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:20 pm
Posts: 33351
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
TreeBeard wrote:
Point taken. (Although I'm not quite sure what to make of the "his constant idiocy" statement.)

What I mean by that is that Francis constantly speaks and acts like an idiot. (Idiocy is a more charitable interpretation than the other alternatives, of course.) Hope that helps. :fyi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:46 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm
Posts: 812
Religion: Looking for answers
Doom wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Gherkin, who are what do you think the National Catholic Register should report if not so much the Pope?

I’ve never heard anyone described as “in your face” in a way which wasn’t disrespectful.


The fact that you that's a very vocal non-Catholic somehow feel driven by the need to defend Francis it's more than a little odd

:scratch: "The fact"? :!: That you think that's a fact Doom is more than a little odd.

I am a practicing Catholic.

Posted in the Lyceum, 13th November:
Denise Dee wrote:
My life has been transformed since...
...since I opened up my heart and became a practicing Catholic and/or became a Christian. I don't know for sure whether it has been Catholicism or Christianity which has been responsible for the change, but it doesn't matter. Jesus is responsible for the change. Pope Francis inspires me to open up my heart to the divine love which is at the heart of both Catholicism and Christianity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:29 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76278
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
That's fine if you want to play it that way then I'll say that as as a supposed Catholic who rejects pretty much everything the Church teaches then it makes complete sense why you would defend a Pope who does likewise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Am I a bad person because...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:57 am 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm
Posts: 812
Religion: Looking for answers
Doom wrote:
That's fine if you want to play it that way then I'll say that as as a supposed Catholic who rejects pretty much everything the Church teaches then it makes complete sense why you would defend a Pope who does likewise.

Doom you clearly don’t understand the difference between complete sense and complete nonsense. I don’t care what you think of my attempts to practice my religion, but to say that Pope Francis “rejects pretty much everything the Church teaches” is complete nonsense.

I’m aware that a lot of Americans believe in a lot of crazy conspiracy theories, but I’ve never heard that one before.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 49 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


Jump to:  
cron