Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: PSA: There is no such thing as "the Protestant view"
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:14 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
LuxHominumErat wrote:
You are right Jack, unless the "protestant-view" within a conversation is qualified to mean a particular point of doctrine shared among all baptized non-Catholics and not held by Catholics, then you could say, "the protestant-view". Or no?

I know of literally no "particular point of doctrine shared among all baptized non-Catholics and not held by Catholics." Perhaps one exists. I don't know it.

Post subject: Re: PSA: There is no such thing as "the Protestant view"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:09 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
LuxHominumErat wrote:
You are right Jack, unless the "protestant-view" within a conversation is qualified to mean a particular point of doctrine shared among all baptized non-Catholics and not held by Catholics, then you could say, "the protestant-view". Or no?
The problem with this is, in addition to Jack’s points, that the doctrines aren’t a cluster of unrelated propositions. Every point of doctrine in a system needs to be coherent. So even if I agreed on the wording of a doctrine by, say, a Pentecostal Church, we wouldn’t have the same doctrine, as that doctrine needs to be read in light of the other doctrines. Let’s say that a Pentecostal Church wrote, on their website, that «Only Christ saves us.»* I agree with that, but when you actually analysis that in light of the doctrines, the differences are really telling, especially when it comes to the sacraments. We (Lutherans) believe that baptism is a place where we are saved (i.e. that God uses baptism to communicate or impart salvation to us), while Pentecostals believes that baptism is a place where our (previously won) salvation are confirmed (i.e. that we use baptism as a way to communicate unto others that God has saved us). Here we also see a major difference. As a Lutheran, I say that God is the subject of baptism (communicating salvation to us), while Pentecostals (at least the ones who I have talked to on this matter) say that the person being baptised is the subject of baptism (communicating his salvation to other people). We also see this in how people use language. I always say «I was baptised on….» But most of the Pentecostals I know say «I baptised myself [by means of the person who baptised me] on…»

So even if there is a point of doctrine that is not held by the Roman Catholic Church, and which is held by all Christian churches outside the Roman Catholic Church, it wouldn’t mean much, as doctrine is systematical.

* This is not an example of a doctrine not shared by Roman Catholics, btw. It is only an example of a shared piece of doctrine.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2