Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why don't Protestants rebel against the Protestant Churches?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Why don't Protestants rebel against the Protestant Churches?

Atheists and bad Catholics may rebel against the Catholic Church, which condemns their vices. But why should anyone rebel against the Protestant Churches? Protestantism is most obliging as a rule, and instead of going against the grain, and ordering its adherents to renounce their evil inclinations, either remains discreetly silent, or breaks down Christian principles to suit the desires of men. How often we notice Protestant leaders first studying what men want, and then interpreting Christianity accordingly! The Catholic Church first asks what Christ wants, and then tells men that, even though it be uncomfortable, they must live up to it. Protestant Churches sanction divorce, birth-control, and almost any heretical doctrine about Christ and His teachings, impose no strict obligation of Sunday worship, and are so harmless generally that no one would think of being up in arms against them. If a man does not like them, he just ignores them. The Catholic Church, however, is known to be a really vital force, and men find that they cannot ignore her. Enemies of Christianity are not concerned much with Protestantism. It is in Catholicism that they recognize the deadly enemy of atheism, materialism, and Communism.

Source: Radio Replies from 1938.

Just a thought...

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

Post subject: Re: Why don't Protestants rebel against the Protestant Churches?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:33 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

:laughhard

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:38 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
If you leave the Catholic Church you cannot remain a Catholic, but if you leave a Protestant church you can still be a Protestant.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:54 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Yeah, they just church hop. Get mad at one pastor, go to another church. Get mad at the choir director there, go to another one. Get mad at the sunday school leader, go to another one. I know, I was raised that way.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:50 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, I don't attend Mass in my hometown...

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:24 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: RCIA(ish)
Greg wrote:
How often we notice Protestant leaders first studying what men want, and then interpreting Christianity accordingly! The Catholic Church first asks what Christ wants, and then tells men that, even though it be uncomfortable, they must live up to it. Protestant Churches sanction divorce, birth-control, and almost any heretical doctrine about Christ and His teachings, impose no strict obligation of Sunday worship, and are so harmless generally that no one would think of being up in arms against them.

:fyi: Not all of us are that way!

Besides if we were to rebel against the Protestant Churches we might have to become... :shock: Catholic! Oh wait, that might be me...

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Greg wrote:
Why don't Protestants rebel against the Protestant Churches?

Atheists and bad Catholics may rebel against the Catholic Church, which condemns their vices. But why should anyone rebel against the Protestant Churches? Protestantism is most obliging as a rule, and instead of going against the grain, and ordering its adherents to renounce their evil inclinations, either remains discreetly silent, or breaks down Christian principles to suit the desires of men. How often we notice Protestant leaders first studying what men want, and then interpreting Christianity accordingly! The Catholic Church first asks what Christ wants, and then tells men that, even though it be uncomfortable, they must live up to it. Protestant Churches sanction divorce, birth-control, and almost any heretical doctrine about Christ and His teachings, impose no strict obligation of Sunday worship, and are so harmless generally that no one would think of being up in arms against them. If a man does not like them, he just ignores them. The Catholic Church, however, is known to be a really vital force, and men find that they cannot ignore her. Enemies of Christianity are not concerned much with Protestantism. It is in Catholicism that they recognize the deadly enemy of atheism, materialism, and Communism.

Just a thought...

This may all be true; none the less, they do protest and schism from their own protestant churches. Hundreds of new protestant churches are formed every year by those breaking away from their own protestant churches. It's to the point now that there are thousands of Protestant denominations.

-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jBacBbNT4
-
http://CatholicTruth.webs.com

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:59 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Hence my reaction to Jerome_2 above.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Two-Faced
I recently witnessed my seminarian friend debate a pastor of the Church of Christ. This pastor declared that they were not Protestant, and that the Catholic Church was a denomination. I was so :?: that I could not respond.

‘Humility.’”

~ St. Anthony the Great

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:01 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Constable Toad wrote:
I recently witnessed my seminarian friend debate a pastor of the Church of Christ. This pastor declared that they were not Protestant, and that the Catholic Church was a denomination. I was so :?: that I could not respond.

http://soundamerica.com/soundamerica/so ... grunt0.wav

(NAR)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:01 am 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Turgonian wrote:
Well, I don't attend Mass in my hometown...

He's not talking about going to another Catholic church, he is speaking of the tendency to go to a different flavor of Protestantism. I know I see my Protestant friends do it. With non-denominational churches as the holding place for them while they seek another church.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:30 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Christian
Teakafrog wrote:
Yeah, they just church hop. Get mad at one pastor, go to another church. Get mad at the choir director there, go to another one. Get mad at the sunday school leader, go to another one. I know, I was raised that way.

I know of many Protestant leaders who lament this as well. However, it seems inevitable. Most of my "church hopping" was not because I was mad at someone, it was more of the confusion in my mind of wich one was right, or where did God want me. If you listen to christian radio, Moody radio for example, you will discover so many various doctrines being taught it will make your mind do flips! At times it seems the Calvinists preach Calvin more than Christ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Why should the descendents of Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, and company be held to a standard their fathers were not held to? That standard being the expectation to adhere to the traditions of one's faith community.

It is impossible for protestants to remain united with each other when one of the hinges of their movement was the denial of ecclesial authority in faith and morals.

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort