Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sola Scripture?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:13 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
"Jesus did not give anyone the authority to forgive sins on God's behalf"

This power was given at the birth of the Church when Peter was given the keys.

"Whose sins you shall forgive they are forgiven them whose sins you shall retain they are retained."
"What you hold bound on earth is bound in heaven what you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:41 pm 

Religion: Christian
Were Hillel and Shammai forgiving sins?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:59 am 
Citizen
Citizen

imscoop22 wrote:

Explain, I gotta Google that. You are way ahead a me. :laughhard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:57 pm 

You are correct that the character qualifications can be ignored by anyone. In Catholicism, they are generally ALWAYS ignored (the notable acceptance of clergy from other denominations is the only exception I'm aware of).

Hello imscoop22,
I can’t imagine where one would look to substantiate the claim that the Catholic Church “ALWAYS” ignored the qualifications listed for bishops. The Church certainly places an importance on all of these qualities:

...sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.

Here is a link to a site that explains the process. https://www.simplycatholic.com/selecting-bishops/

A celibate priest or bishop cannot, by definition, meet those qualifications.

He may certainly meet all of them except those that pertain to a married man. The requirement is for “one wife”, which is the Christian norm. It does not insist that an unmarried man can not be a bishop or a priest. And, in point of fact, the Catholic Church does have married priests and not just converts.

I would suggest that it would be quite a slanderous thing to insist that the Church simply ignores all of the qualifications simply because of specific issues surrounding marriage. You certainly don’t mean to suggest that the Church encourages drunk, inhospitable, violent money grubbing reprobates to become bishops?

SDS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:03 pm 

I would also note that St Paul in 1 Cor 7 tells us that it is better for a man not to be married so he can focus on the Church of God. This certainly does not condemn marriage but, it would also be incomprehensible if the Church also insisted that all priests and bishops be married.

Regards,
SDS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:36 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

imscoop22

... yes, if they were members of the original 12

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2