Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Objections to Jesus as Messiah from Judaism
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:43 am 

Religion: Catholic
Hi,

How should we respond to the ideas from religious Jews who reject Jesus as Messiah because:

1. He did not restore the earthy kingdom of Israel?
2. Jesus didn't bring world peace either which is kind of in the same train of thought as above.
3. The objection that Messiah was never prophesised to come to earth, leave then come back to earth again in the Old Testament.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Objections to Jesus as Messiah from Judaism
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:17 am 

gmor8802,
We see two strains of Messianic prophecy in the "OT". One is "Messiah Ben Joseph" or, the suffering servant. The other is Messiah Ben David who is referred to in triumphant terms. As Catholics we believe that the prophecies about world peace pertain to His second coming while the ones about the suffering Servant were fulfilled in the first century. It's a big subject but I think that this is the heart of it...

Regards,
SDS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 am 

SDS1966 wrote:
gmor8802,
We see two strains of Messianic prophecy in the "OT". One is "Messiah Ben Joseph" or, the suffering servant. The other is Messiah Ben David who is referred to in triumphant terms. As Catholics we believe that the prophecies about world peace pertain to His second coming while the ones about the suffering Servant were fulfilled in the first century. It's a big subject but I think that this is the heart of it...

Regards,
SDS

Thanks for the response. That makes sense.

What of the last point? I've heard a few objections from Jewish people regarding Jesus as the Messiah.
They bring up things that happened with Jesus that were not prophesised.
Main one I heard was that the Messiah was never to come to earth, die, leave and then come back again.

What would be a good response to that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:17 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for the response. That makes sense.

What of the last point? I've heard a few objections from Jewish people regarding Jesus as the Messiah.
They bring up things that happened with Jesus that were not prophesised.
Main one I heard was that the Messiah was never to come to earth, die, leave and then come back again.

What would be a good response to that?

Hello gmor8802,
The difficulty with demonstrating what is, and what is not, "prophesiesed" in the texts of the Old Testament is one of interpretation, of course. There is no denying, for example, that Isaiah 53 speaks of a suffering servant whose sufferings take a form at least quite similar to what the Gospels report happened to Jesus of Nazareth. It even suggests that this servant will die and yet...prolong his days somehow. The question is not weather those passages exist...but rather WHO or what do they speak about? A Jewish person is likely to see Is 53 as speaking of Israel in general. I have been through that debate and I think the Christian interpretation makes good sense and the Jewish one...not so much...but that is essentially why the debate exists, I think.

So, if someone insists that, as you say...."that the Messiah was never to come to earth, die, leave and then come back again."

You can say..."oh yes He was. The same set of books you are using to paint your picture of the Messiah paints the picture of Jesus quite well too."

Regards,
Scott