Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Altar Servers & Sign of Peace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:00 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Hi, I' ve been wondering about something for quite a while, maybe a couple of years now.

I attend a Novus Ordo Mass, and even though the priest never leaves the sanctuary during the sign of peace, the altar servers do. They go to shake hands with their family, but then they roam throughout the church, giving many people the sign of peace and don't get back to the sanctuary until the Agnus Dei is under way. By that time, we are all kneeling. It seems rather disruptive to the posture, to be kneeling in prayer and having the altar servers still floating about the church.

This doesn't seem proper to me. Does anyone know what is proper? Are there any guidelines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
See paragraph 82 - no-one should move around the church - just offer the sign of peace to those close by.

The altar servers should only offer a sign of peace to each other and stay on the sanctuary.

http://www.nccbuscc.org/liturgy/current/GIRM.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

They definitely shouldn't do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:50 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
I agree. I never moved from the sanctuary during Mass. Just offered the Sign of Peace to the priest and the lector standing next to me.

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

So how would you approach the subject with the priest? Any ideas? Some parents might get offended if their children are told they can't come and offer the sign of peace to their families. Not everyone understands that there are rubrics to the Mass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
Just tell him that you have a concern about the practice and make sure you can show him that it is a valid concern. Find the appropriate info, such as provided above by aussie_mal, and show it to him.

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:15 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Wilco98 wrote:
Just tell him that you have a concern about the practice and make sure you can show him that it is a valid concern. Find the appropriate info, such as provided above by aussie_mal, and show it to him.

The only problem with quoting the GIRM is that I am in Canada, and our bishops have not yet adopted the GIRM. Once before I mentioned it, when I was discussing the Orans position for laity during Mass with my priest, and he explained that because the CCCB has not yet adopted the GIRM, that it doesn't apply here. He said what does apply is what the Diocesan bishop permits.

Incidentally, when I asked him why we are so far behind in adopting the GIRM, he said it was due to the cultural differences between the French and English bishops, as well as the differences between the traditional and liberal bishops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:28 pm 
Transcendent
Transcendent

The GIRM isn't adopted and it isn't a choice for them to adopt it or not. It is the universal liturgical law of the Church for the Roman Rite liturgy. It appears that you have a rough situation in your parish :(

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:31 pm 
Transcendent
Transcendent

There are a few "options" that the GIRM permits the Bishops to make a decision on, but that is a different story.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:21 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

It is a fact that the CCCB only loosely adheres to the GIRM. We have been waiting years for them to acknowledge it, but so far they can't come to an agreement. I heard a tongue in cheek reference to them as the Canadian Conference of Confused Bishops before, and I think this might be why. I wish Rome would put its foot down and make them comply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:42 pm 
Transcendent
Transcendent

I hope so too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:57 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I'll try the GIRM angle, but I don't think it will work, based on previous experience. Maybe the uniformity of posture angle will be a better approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:46 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knights of Columbus
Hmm...

During the sign of peace, I just step up and shake the priest's hand, then the cantor's hand since as he or she sits right behind me and is usually standing right there ready to lead the Agnus Dei. I shake his/her hand, and return to my post. From where I am kneeling on the steps to the side of the altar, I never move more than 10 feet.