Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A survey on singing in Mass
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:00 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
http://www.npm.org/Articles/singlitresults.htm

What helps American Catholics to sing the liturgy? In a recent online survey by the National Association of Pastoral Musicians (NPM), both musicians and non-musicians had an opportunity to offer a response to this question.

Congregational singing has been a normal part of Sunday Mass only since 1964, when the first liturgical changes were introduced following the Second Vatican Council. In its Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, the Council had directed that all the faithful should take an active part in the liturgy, and identified singing as one of the most important means of that active participation.

Since the time of the Council, bishops, pastors, musicians, publishers, and other leaders have devoted considerable effort to enabling and supporting the singing of worshiping assemblies. Parish musicians and other leaders have sought to foster singing by developing good leadership and by making sound musical choices, while publishers have provided both traditional and contemporary music for the liturgy.

The NPM survey asked people to select from among thirteen factors those that most helped them to sing the liturgy. Respondents could choose as many elements as they found helpful to their sung participation:

leadership factors-the role of the organist and other instruments, the cantor or director, the choir, and the priest celebrant;
musical choices-easy to sing, something I can sing by heart, familiar melody, traditional song, contemporary song;
the words of liturgical songs-meaningful text, linked to the liturgy of the day or season;
environment for singing-enthusiasm of the congregation, a church building that makes singing a pleasure.
The survey results demonstrated an interesting divergence in the perspectives of musicians and non-musicians. Non-musicians identified familiarity and ease as most important in supporting their sung participation in the liturgy. The top three responses from this group related to the choice of music for people to sing: familiar melody (52.2%), easy to sing (51.4%), and traditional song (47.9%).

Those involved in music ministries-directors, organists, cantors, choir and ensemble members-were more likely to focus on issues of leadership and text. The top responses from this group included leadership of organ or instruments (66.4%), meaningful text (65.6%), leadership of cantor or director (60.9%), and music linked to the liturgy of the day or season (59.6%).

Complete results from the two groups appear in the tables below.

WHAT HELPS YOU TO SING THE LITURGY?

% of Those Involved in Music Ministry (1,541)

Leadership of Organ or Instruments

Meaningful Text

Leadership of Cantor or Director

Linked to Liturgy of the Day or Season

Enthusiasm of the Congregation

Leadership of Choir

Familiar Melody

Easy to Sing

Church Building That Makes Singing a Pleasure

Leadership of Priest Celebrant

Traditional Song

Contemporary Song

Something I Can Sing by Heart

Other

WHAT HELPS YOU TO SING THE LITURGY?
% of Those Not Involved in Music Ministry (808)

Familiar Melody

Easy to Sing

Traditional Song

Enthusiasm of the Congregation

Meaningful Text

Leadership of Cantor or Director

Linked to Liturgy of the Day or Season

Leadership of Organ or Instruments

Other

Leadership of Choir

Something I Can Sing by Heart

Contemporary Song

Leadership of Priest Celebrant

Church Building That Makes Singing a Pleasure

What does everyone here think ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I'd just like it if they wouldn't play that nasty horrid pablum stuff. Something REALLY uplifting--away from ME and to God. After all, I'm not there to sing about myself, :).

And if it includes clapping, or guitars, it doesn't belong in Mass, frankly... (not even classical guitar, which I would love in another setting)

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I wish they'd bring back the old songs. It seems like the church thinks they have to use modern upbeat songs to attract the young people. I think they are dead wrong. Beauty is timeless. Even as a child and teenager (and a hard rocker at that), when I was at Mass I preferred the old hymns over the bongo playing, tambourine shaking, beep bop sounding crapola. I'm OK with the guitar though--with the right song a guitar makes a lovely sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Well 2 weeks ago at mass, before it started they sang a gospel song, a GOSPEL song. Ok, yes we are in the south, BUT I would be used to that in a Southern Baptist church (from which I came.) I like to think of the Catholic Church as being very reverent. Its not a revival party, iykwim. I am into the traditional aestetics (sp) of the Catholic Church, but a cheery gospel song is not what I would like to hear at mass, imho. Its bad enough the way people dress around here, among other things.

Bleh!

Candace

Member of the 2007 Tiber Swim Team!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I have no problem with a guitar, per se, in a reverent song. Some parishes simply cannot afford a pipe organ and may not have someone available who can play the piano. Heck, they may not even be able to afford a piano.

I think the problem with a lot of our songs now is that they aren't PRAYERFUL. As such, they have no place at mass, IMHO.

I would like more prayerful songs, no complicated modern melodies (the parishioners often can't sing them), and that's that.

Of course, I am biased. I love chant.

Dani

During His trials Our Lord would not respond to the chief priests (Mt 14:61), or Herod (Lk 23:9) or Pilate (Jn 19:9). Words had failed. All that could penetrate those hardened hearts was the witness of divine love, the offering of His life to the Father. So also for us — when words fail the greatest way to “win” an argument is by acts of love. - Fr. Paul Scalia

There is no law about nougatine. - Chef Stephane Glacier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:23 am 
Transcendent
Transcendent

I will sing anything that isn't heretical, worshipping the congregation, or improper for Mass. Needless to say, at some parishes, I don't sing at all.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:58 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
Bonaventure wrote:
I will sing anything that isn't heretical, worshipping the congregation, or improper for Mass. Needless to say, at some parishes, I don't sing at all.

Bingo. :)

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:47 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
By the way, who else has read Day's book Why Catholics Can't Sing?

Post subject: Re: A survey on singing in Mass
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:38 am 

aussie_mal wrote:
Congregational singing has been a normal part of Sunday Mass only since 1964, when the first liturgical changes were introduced following the Second Vatican Council.

We sang hymns prior to that.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:40 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: OCDS
Candace wrote:
Well 2 weeks ago at mass, before it started they sang a gospel song, a GOSPEL song. Ok, yes we are in the south, BUT I would be used to that in a Southern Baptist church (from which I came.) I like to think of the Catholic Church as being very reverent. Its not a revival party, iykwim. I am into the traditional aestetics (sp) of the Catholic Church, but a cheery gospel song is not what I would like to hear at mass, imho. Its bad enough the way people dress around here, among other things.

Bleh!

Candace

Was it "Go Tell it on a Mountain?" They had it for three weeks in a row, every week. Including childrens Mass! It has never been one of my favorite songs (we sang it in schoolfor some music thing for parents and I've never gotten it out of my mind)

Kel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:02 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I don't think it was go tell it on the mountain, all I know the lady was real screechy and loud. ::shudder::

Member of the 2007 Tiber Swim Team!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:25 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

If "How Great Thou Art" is gospel--it's one of my favorites. I like "Amazing Grace" too, which I think is also gospel. So I'm not anti-gospel, but would prefer it be used sparingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Person wrote:
If "How Great Thou Art" is gospel--it's one of my favorites. I like "Amazing Grace" too, which I think is also gospel. So I'm not anti-gospel, but would prefer it be used sparingly.

"How Great Thou Art"????????

Ugh!!!

Ptui, ptui, ptui!!!

I cannot tell you how I LOATHE that ghastly song!

The words are trite and cliched, and turn the focus of the worship away from God, and instead to the worshipper. The whole point is not God's greatness, but the fact that "I recognized it, because I saw something, and since what I saw had an effect on me,, now I say..."

It is really just another one of those songs that turn everything into singing about the everlasting me, me, me -- Bleagh.

Much worse, though, is that tune. Thomas Aquinas could come back to earth and write Latin verse to fit it, but it would still be dreadful. That awful "Wa-wa-wa-WAAAAAH" of the opening sounds like something being sung by a bunch of drunken Irish construction workers as they stagger out of the bar at 3 AM.

Almost anything -- including root canal -- is preferable to that cheapjack musical stinker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:44 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Custus: Everybody's a critic--ha!

Quote:
Almost anything -- including root canal -- is preferable to that cheapjack musical stinker.

::): ::): ::):

I have that reaction to certain songs, too. But not this one. I never thought about it from your view point--and well, now that you explained how you react to it, I see where you are coming from. But I don't have the same reaction at all. This song leaves me with a feeling of peace and wonder.

I, personally, don't think that it puts the glory on the singer of the song because he/she recognized God. When I hear the song I imagine a new believer who has just come to recognize God and is humbled and awestruck by His Majesty. He/she contemplates that Greatness in the sky, in the animals, in the earth, in thoughts of Jesus' suffering on the cross. His/her love cannot be contained, and his/her very soul begins to sing with unfettered joy. That's what goes through me when I hear the song. Trite or not, I love the words and the tune.

Mind you, I'm not trying to make a "How Great Thou Art" convert out of you. You are most welcome to loathe the song all you want to and that's OK :) .

Ahh, I pulled it up on my computer and I'm listening to it now. Ahh, it brings a tear of joy to me eye . . .

Quote:
HOW GREAT THOU ART

O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:56 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I still say "Blecchhh!!"

You want a good hymn, with theological, literary, and musical merit?

Try this one on for size:

"Lo, He Comes with Clouds Descnding"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:18 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I gag on Haugen's works. Yuckkkkk.....

* Sometimes we turn to God when our foundations are shaking, only to find out it is God who is shaking them. *

Gloria Virtutis Umbra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 pm 

When it comes to traditional hymns, two of my favorites are "Be Thou My Vision", and "Sacrament Most Holy"

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:14 pm 
4-H Superstar
4-H Superstar

Custos wrote:
Much worse, though, is that tune. Thomas Aquinas could come back to earth and write Latin verse to fit it, but it would still be dreadful. That awful "Wa-wa-wa-WAAAAAH" of the opening sounds like something being sung by a bunch of drunken Irish construction workers as they stagger out of the bar at 3 AM.

I'd take root canal over this and HHS hymns ::):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

As bad as the song may be by nature, just imagine it sung with a heavy Noo Yawk accent (as I have heard it sung here) -- it moves to a whole new level of entertainment:

Oh Looawd my Gawwwwwwd, wenn I in oooawsum wundah
Cunsidduh ooooawll the wuiks yooah heeands have made...

OOOOOWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

OOOOOWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dogs may be set howling for twenty miles...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:15 pm 
4-H Superstar
4-H Superstar

Custos wrote:
As bad as the song may be by nature, just imagine it sung with a heavy Noo Yawk accent (as I have heard it sung here) -- it moves to a whole new level of entertainment:

Oh Looawd my Gawwwwwwd, wenn I in oooawsum wundah
Cunsidduh ooooawll the wuiks yooah heeands have made...

OOOOOWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

OOOOOWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dogs may be set howling for twenty miles...

People from Philly sound similar :shock: ::):

We have a combination of NY/Philly commuters in my parish. Now I know why I hear howling outside during Mass ::):

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next