Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: Latinization at my Byzantine Catholic church. Ugh. Help!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:55 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:25 pm
Posts: 1163
The people at my Byzantine Catholic church wanted statues back in the church, like in their old, pre-merger church, and they're back; angels holding candelabra. And there are flat-screen TVs on either side of the iconostasis. Makes it look like a sports bar. I've complained, for naught.

This is not what the Catholic Church wants for this rite.

They're sweet statues, very Tridentine Roman. They belong in the church hall as a cultural display.

_________________
A conservative blog for peace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latinization at my Byzantine Catholic church. Ugh. Help!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:15 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34923
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
"pre-merger"?

Guessing that a Latin Rite and a Byzantine Catholic parish were merged into one using the Byzantine physical structure?

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latinization at my Byzantine Catholic church. Ugh. Help!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:51 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:25 pm
Posts: 1163
kage_ar wrote:
"pre-merger"?

Guessing that a Latin Rite and a Byzantine Catholic parish were merged into one using the Byzantine physical structure?


No. Sorry; I should have been clearer. My Byzantine Catholic parish is a merger of three such. Such have gotten very latinized over the generations. The main church in the merger had the statues, which some of the people wanted in the new location. The priest then rightly said no, but the present priest gave them their way. To be fair, the wonderful iconostasis also comes from the main church in the merger.

_________________
A conservative blog for peace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latinization at my Byzantine Catholic church. Ugh. Help!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:02 pm 
Offline
Paladin
Paladin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:12 am
Posts: 6697
Location: Filii Tonitrui
Religion: Catholic
Not much one person can do, I've seen many churches go down the road of adopting things foreign to the Roman rite for example. I suppose your situation could be magnitudes worse.

The young fogey wrote:
And there are flat-screen TVs on either side of the iconostasis.


Ah yes, the great flat screen TVs of the ancient Roman basilicas, definitely should not be at a Byzantine church.

Quote:
They're sweet statues, very Tridentine Roman.


No such thing as "Tridentine" when it comes to liturgy and art.

_________________
-Alexander
"The proof of love is to suffer for the one you love." -St. Pio


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latinization at my Byzantine Catholic church. Ugh. Help!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:45 am 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:25 pm
Posts: 1163
Alexandros wrote:
Not much one person can do. I've seen many churches go down the road of adopting things foreign to the Roman rite for example. I suppose your situation could be magnitudes worse.

If the iconostasis came down and the services were versus populum I'd leave. None of that will happen only for ecumenism's sake.

Alexandros wrote:
No such thing as "Tridentine" when it comes to liturgy and art.

I know that St. Pius V's missal was a slight edit of the late medieval one of the Diocese of Rome.

Most people know what I mean. These large plaster statues would fit in at a nice Roman Rite church from the late 1800s or early 1900s and at a Roman Rite traditionalist chapel.

_________________
A conservative blog for peace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latinization at my Byzantine Catholic church. Ugh. Help!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:40 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34923
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
The young fogey wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
"pre-merger"?

Guessing that a Latin Rite and a Byzantine Catholic parish were merged into one using the Byzantine physical structure?


No. Sorry; I should have been clearer. My Byzantine Catholic parish is a merger of three such. Such have gotten very latinized over the generations. The main church in the merger had the statues, which some of the people wanted in the new location. The priest then rightly said no, but the present priest gave them their way. To be fair, the wonderful iconostasis also comes from the main church in the merger.


Thanks for the explanation. I do find that interesting, that the parishioners of a Byzantine parish would not want to fully embrace their own imagery and just run on over to St So and Such Roman Rite when they have a yen for some statues.

Some day I pray that I am able to visit a Byzantine parish. They are non-existent in Arkansas

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latinization at my Byzantine Catholic church. Ugh. Help!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:46 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:04 pm
Posts: 810
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
kage_ar wrote:
The young fogey wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
"pre-merger"?

Guessing that a Latin Rite and a Byzantine Catholic parish were merged into one using the Byzantine physical structure?


No. Sorry; I should have been clearer. My Byzantine Catholic parish is a merger of three such. Such have gotten very latinized over the generations. The main church in the merger had the statues, which some of the people wanted in the new location. The priest then rightly said no, but the present priest gave them their way. To be fair, the wonderful iconostasis also comes from the main church in the merger.


Thanks for the explanation. I do find that interesting, that the parishioners of a Byzantine parish would not want to fully embrace their own imagery and just run on over to St So and Such Roman Rite when they have a yen for some statues.

Some day I pray that I am able to visit a Byzantine parish. They are non-existent in Arkansas


St John Orthodox Christian Church - Rogers, Arkansas
Facebook (10) · Church/Cathedral
1740 S 9th St, Rogers · (248) 756-5528
Closed · Opens tomorrow 6 PM

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
Facebook (15) · Church/Cathedral
1812 Watt St, Little Rock · (501) 224-3330

St Nicholas Orthodox Church
Facebook (28) · Church/Cathedral
3171 S 48th St, Springdale · (479) 379-6220
Closed · Opens tomorrow 6 PM

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church
Facebook (51) · Church/Cathedral
1100 Napa Valley Dr, Little Rock · (501) 221-5300
Closed · Opens Mon 9 AM

Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church
Church/Cathedral
292 Co Rd 390, Mountain Home · (815) 258-3668
Closed · Opens tomorrow 7 PM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latinization at my Byzantine Catholic church. Ugh. Help!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:04 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:05 pm
Posts: 461
Religion: Catholic
Vern Humphrey wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
The young fogey wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
"pre-merger"?

Guessing that a Latin Rite and a Byzantine Catholic parish were merged into one using the Byzantine physical structure?


No. Sorry; I should have been clearer. My Byzantine Catholic parish is a merger of three such. Such have gotten very latinized over the generations. The main church in the merger had the statues, which some of the people wanted in the new location. The priest then rightly said no, but the present priest gave them their way. To be fair, the wonderful iconostasis also comes from the main church in the merger.


Thanks for the explanation. I do find that interesting, that the parishioners of a Byzantine parish would not want to fully embrace their own imagery and just run on over to St So and Such Roman Rite when they have a yen for some statues.

Some day I pray that I am able to visit a Byzantine parish. They are non-existent in Arkansas


St John Orthodox Christian Church - Rogers, Arkansas
Facebook (10) · Church/Cathedral
1740 S 9th St, Rogers · (248) 756-5528
Closed · Opens tomorrow 6 PM

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
Facebook (15) · Church/Cathedral
1812 Watt St, Little Rock · (501) 224-3330

St Nicholas Orthodox Church
Facebook (28) · Church/Cathedral
3171 S 48th St, Springdale · (479) 379-6220
Closed · Opens tomorrow 6 PM

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church
Facebook (51) · Church/Cathedral
1100 Napa Valley Dr, Little Rock · (501) 221-5300
Closed · Opens Mon 9 AM

Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church
Church/Cathedral
292 Co Rd 390, Mountain Home · (815) 258-3668
Closed · Opens tomorrow 7 PM


Those are not Catholic!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


Jump to: