Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Linnets and Valerians" by Elizabeth Goudge.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:54 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
My 2nd book by Elizabeth Goudge. Reading it, it has all of the marks that would make me believe that (all things being equal) this book would have become a staple in Christian families much like Lewis and Tolkien (and others). But, given some unfortunate sentences... that's probably not going to happen. Unfortunate in the sense of terms used towards those of African descent. The shame being that in the context it's not meant that way at all. Oh well.

The book is still a great read with that Lewis sense of children enjoying freedom of wander and wonder. 4 children at that... two boys, two girls. The sneak off from an overbearing grandmother (so we're led to believe that she's overbearing by the narrator early on) and find their way serendipitously to an uncle's house. An uncle that almost seems as eccentric as a Professor in another book. Yet, he's a bit more on the practical side when compared to that Professor. Still, he allows for the children to have a very free existence.

The book borders on the fantastical and at times falls headlong into it. But in an enjoyable way.

Post subject: Re: "Linnets and Valerians" by Elizabeth Goudge.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:26 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
I had been reading this one bit by bit to my children. They seemed to enjoy it.

Some of the characters were very enjoyable... but it ends so rushed.

*spoilers*

A lady named Emma Cobley puts a spell on Lady Alicia's son and husband. She did it when her son was 4 years of age. Emma was a witch of some stripe and was upset that Lady Alicia won the man that she was also after. Well, the spell makes the son get lost (Lady believes him to be dead) for about 20 years. And her husband also gets lost. The spell eventually gets broken and the son is reunited with the mother. The mother (Lady Alicia) very (VERY) quickly forgives Emma ("from the very bottom of her heart"). Forgiveness is important.... but wow. Light speed. Also, she forgives her prior to her husband (also lost by virtue of bewitchment) being restored to her.

This is the most Happily Ever After Ending I've ever read. People walking arm in arm. Song bursting forth from Public Houses... walking people up.... who greet being woken up with smiles and glad tidings because peace has been restored to the village.