Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: “Ghost Book” by Shane Leslie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:21 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Reading this book, about 40 pages in, is like getting shot at by machine guns. Like trying to follow a story from an excited child after they just ate a bag of candy.

There seems to be little order. A chapter is filled with brief anecdote after anecdote. You don’t necessarily know when one ends and a new, unrelated one, begins.

One moment you’re reading about a guy who could levitate then Leslie waxes on about science and religion and then, bam, a new brief story not related to the levitating guy.

I like Charles Coulombe. He had mentioned how Leslie, at one point, was viewed as notable a convert as Chesterton (or close) and how one’s popularity continued while the other’s waned.

I think I see why. The book has some interesting points…. But it’s scattershot in the presentation.

Post subject: Re: “Ghost Book” by Shane Leslie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:21 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
The first three chapters? Very muddled with so much information in a very rambling (to borrow from a review I had read) manner.

I was close to giving it up. But after the Third chapter, when the cases start, then the book really hits its stride. The cases are actually pretty frightening. You get the sense that it’s not something you really want to be reading late at night; which adds to the effectiveness of the book.