Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "America on Trial" by Robert Reilly
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
A very coincidental play of events. I have recently finished reading "Dominion" by Tom Holland and was going to suggest to my priest that he read the book.
Cutting me off in the process he suggested that I read "America on Trial"...

I'm not that far into it but wow... the themes are so congruent with those of Holland. Especially the idea of the secular. The secular being a product of a distinctly Catholic innovation.... according to Holland. Reilly seems to lay it more at the doorstep of Christianity in general. At least, Holland is very insistent that it's specifically Catholic (constantly nodding in the direction of Pope Gregory VII).

Reilly does a good job of showing how prephilosophical societies (and "cosmological empires"??) had no distinction between the sacred and the civic. The two were so heavily entwined that there would be no coherent notion of fisking one out from the other.

Anyway.... early in the book. But just shocked a bit that he suggested a book that pulls so heavily on themes that, prior to hearing them from Holland, were very new to me.

Post subject: Re: "America on Trial" by Robert Reilly
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:32 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I haven't read the Reilly book yet, so can't really comment one way or the other, but note that the integralists are pretty strongly negative on it. FWIW.

Also, a really interesting book on that subject of sacred and civic is Andrew Jones's Before Church and State. More scholarly than popular, but I think definitely readable.

Post subject: Re: "America on Trial" by Robert Reilly
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:54 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thanks for the book suggestion, Gherkin.

When my priest was mentioning Reilly's book to me he (my priest) brought up Thomas Pink and the integralists... saying that he does agree for the most part with Pink.
Which makes me curious: is Pink more of a moderate integralist?