Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shepherd of the Wilderness - Bernard J Lambert
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:30 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
I was visiting my cousin who lives in MN. I looked at his bookshelf and my eye was caught by the lastname of the author of this book (Lambert)... being that it's my last name.

I plucked the book from the shelf and started paging through it. Then I was further interested when I saw the book had both an Imprimatur (Thomas L Noa DD - Bishop of Marquette) and a Nihil Obstat.

It's a story about Fredric Baraga (who I had no familiarity with). My cousin was very insistent that I read this book and said that the work of Baraga helped shape his faith.

The book also has an autograph by Bernard Lambert, but I've nary a clue as to him.

Post subject: Re: Shepherd of the Wilderness - Bernard J Lambert
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:56 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Never heard of him, either, but sounds like you're on the hook to read it, so you can report back. :fyi: :salut: :salut: :salut:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:43 am 
Master
Master

A very good book thus far...

Fr Fredric Baraga enthusiastically became a priest in Solvenia, first at St. Martin's Church then at St. Nicolas's in Metlika.
At both churches the Jansenists were practically in power. Baraga was one of the first priests in awhile actively encouraging the parishioners to partake in the sacraments again.
Most importantly that of confession.

I was ignorant of the fact but apparently the Jansenists would regularly deny absolution as well as Last Rites if they didn't think that the person was sufficiently sincere.

Baraga falls out of favor at both parishes (getting bounced from the one to the other). When at St. Martin's a call came from America for the bishops in Europe to help with the need for priests. Baraga gleefully jumped at the opportunity.

He then fell under the purview of Bishop Edward Fenwick (first bishop of Cincinnati). And I'm a bit blown away at the deep concern he has for the Indians. Writing for help because the spiritual needs of the Indians are going unmet by the Church. Specifically in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'm not to the point yet where I can see what Baraga's sentiments specifically towards the Indians were... but he does write about his excited to help in tending to those needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:46 am 
Master
Master

Also, the book mentions how understanding Bishop Fenwick was towards his priests when they wanted to leave.
The mission work in MN & WI sounds to be pretty tough (run ins with fur traders for one...). These priests would request to go home to Europe to recover or to be allowed to relocate to the East coast back where there were more basic comforts of life. Bishop Fenwick held no ill will, but just persisted in his efforts to get other bishops to send priests to replace.