Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Lord of the World - R H Benson
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:26 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
More reason to think Pope Francis is some A+ troll…. Or he never read the book he recommended years back.

From the book:
“Loyal Catholic England had been in obeying the order, given 10 years before, that Latin should become to the church what Esperanto was becoming to the world.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:59 pm 
Master
Master

Regarding the benevolent and sincere Pope (Papa Angelicus):

Quote:
Then he had restored Capital Punishment, with as much serene gravity as that with which he had made himself the derision of the civilised world in other matters, saying that though human life was holy, human virtue was more holy still; and he had added to the crime of murder, the crimes of adultery, idolatry and apostasy, for which this punishment was theoretically sanctioned.

I have to find the articles of Pope Francis recommending this book again. Unless he was really taken with the character of Felsenburgh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:17 pm 
Master
Master

I really want to like this book… for a doomsday is coming, Sri-fi with a religious theme…. It’s kind of boring.
So much descriptive sections it feels like a Cormac McCarthy novel at times. Lengthy sections that describe an area…. You get back to the narrative and you find yourself thinking “oh yeah… this guy is in this book”.

30 pages left… who knows. Maybe it gets better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:20 pm 
Master
Master

And sure enough… it gets interesting again.
When Benson is writing dialogue, or a character’s mental soliloquy it’s all very good and dramatic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:46 pm 
Master
Master

Benson was pretty ruthless with his characters. Some you’d hope there would be some redemption for… But it just never turned out that way. One of the main characters, a woman by the name of Mabel, seems to waiver around the point falling towards Christianity or towards the rampant secular humanism. I understand that in the book the deck is stacked immensely against the average person, But you just hope that someone would make it out.

Mabel is a character that you can relate to. As entranced is everyone seems by this new Lord of the world Mabel seems to have a sincere struggle with what he is bringing about in the world.

At the last moment of desperation she goes to one of the euthanasia houses. And her fate I’ve posted below. The imagery and the way the author conveys it reminded me of Lawrence Wentworth‘s fate in Descent to Hell by Charles Williams.

At this point in the book Mabel has just performed the necessary function on the euthanasia machine. She is now sitting back waiting for the end of her to come.

Quote:
She had closed her eyes at the turning of the handle, but now opened them again, curious to watch the aspect of the fading world. She had determined to do this a week ago: she would at least miss nothing of this unique last experience.
It seemed at first that there was no change. There was the feathery head of the elm, the lead roof opposite, and the terrible sky above. She noticed a pigeon, white against the blackness, soar and swoop again out of sight in an instant….
… Then the following things happened….
There was a sudden sensation of ecstatic lightness in all her limbs; she attempted to lift a hand, and was aware that it was impossible; it was no longer hers. She attempted to lower her eyes from that broad strip of violet sky, and perceived that that too was impossible. Then she understood that the will had already lost touch with the body, that the crumbling world had receded to an infinite distance—that was as she had expected, but what continued to puzzle her was that her mind was still active. It was true that the world she had known had withdrawn itself from the dominion of consciousness, as her body had done, except, that was, in the sense of hearing, which was still strangely alert; yet there was still enough memory to be aware that there was such a world—that there were other persons in existence; that men went about their business, knowing nothing of what had happened; but faces, names, places had all alike gone. In fact, she was conscious of herself in such a manner as she had never been before; it seemed as if she had penetrated at last into some recess of her being into which hitherto she had only looked as through clouded glass. This was very strange, and yet it was familiar, too; she had arrived, it seemed, at a centre, round the circumference of which she had been circling all her life; and it was more than a mere point: it was a distinct space, walled and enclosed…. At the same instant she knew that hearing, too, was gone….
Then an amazing thing happened—yet it appeared to her that she had always known it would happen, although her mind had never articulated it. This is what happened.
The enclosure melted, with a sound of breaking, and a limitless space was about her—limitless, different to everything else, and alive, and astir. It was alive, as a breathing, panting body is alive—self-evident and overpowering—it was one, yet it was many; it was immaterial, yet absolutely real—real in a sense in which she never dreamed of reality….
Yet even this was familiar, as a place often visited in dreams is familiar; and then, without warning, something resembling sound or light, something which she knew in an instant to be unique, tore across it….
Then she saw, and understood….

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2