Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Project Hail Mary Andy Weir's best work yet
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:17 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Science fiction author Andy Weir is becoming one of my favorite authors.

His debut 'The Martian' ( made into a movie on 2015 starring Matt Damon) was extraordinary.

His second book 'Artemis' was even better.

Earlier this month, he released his third book 'Project Hail Mary'. The title refers to the desperate, last second pass on football, the idea behind the term is that the situationis so hopeless that the play couldn't succeed without divine intervention.

In the case of this book, the situation is dire, all life on Earth is threatened with extinction, and there is only one possible hope for survival, Project Hail Mary, a spaceship is launched to try to find the solution to the problem and save the Earth. Only one astronaut survives the trip, but thanks to the effects of the hibernation process he was put into for the trip, he has no memory, doesn't know where he he is or what is going on, he doesn't even know his name. So a desperate situation becomes even more desperate, will he remember enough to be able to complete the mission in time to save all life on Earth?

It is one of the most engrossing books I have ever read i cannot put it down, if you have any interest in science fiction, in this case, extremely hard science fiction in which real scientific facts are absolutely essential to understanding the story, then I can't recommend it highly enough. And read 'Artemis' and and The Martian too...Andy Weir is a modern Asimov. Quite possibly tgd best living science fiction author.

Post subject: Re: Project Hail Mary Andy Weir's best work yet
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:56 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Science fiction author Andy Weir is becoming one of my favorite authors.

His debut 'The Martian' ( made into a movie on 2015 starring Matt Damon) was extraordinary.

His second book 'Artemis' was even better.

Earlier this month, he released his third book 'Project Hail Mary'. The title refers to the desperate, last second pass on football, the idea behind the term is that the situationis so hopeless that the play couldn't succeed without divine intervention.

In the case of this book, the situation is dire, all life on Earth is threatened with extinction, and there is only one possible hope for survival, Project Hail Mary, a spaceship is launched to try to find the solution to the problem and save the Earth. Only one astronaut survives the trip, but thanks to the effects of the hibernation process he was put into for the trip, he has no memory, doesn't know where he he is or what is going on, he doesn't even know his name. So a desperate situation becomes even more desperate, will he remember enough to be able to complete the mission in time to save all life on Earth?

It is one of the most engrossing books I have ever read i cannot put it down, if you have any interest in science fiction, in this case, extremely hard science fiction in which real scientific facts are absolutely essential to understanding the story, then I can't recommend it highly enough. And read 'Artemis' and and The Martian too...Andy Weir is a modern Asimov. Quite possibly tgd best living science fiction author.

You encouraged me to check out THE MARTIAN, and you were right. You touted ARTEMIS, but the look I took did not compel me.

I will look into this third title.

I am completing my reading of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga, save for the most recent book, widely thought to be her farewell to the character, which I will not be reading.

3 major works in the field is early days to declare anyone a deity. To me, the candidates for that title would be those authors I have enoyed the most, over time. Mr. Weir has miles to go.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:49 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Oh sure, I was probably being hyperbolic, but here's the thing, that is a reflection of my excitement and enthusiasm about what I read.

I don't know about you, but for me, it is extremely unusual for me to get so invested in a book I'm reading that I can read it for 6,7,8 hours at a time and then wonder where all the time went. I am usually reading at least 5 or 6 or more books at a time, I read most days for a couple hours before I go to bed. I read one a chapter in one book, then read a chapter in another, usually getting through 3 or 4 chapter s in 3 or 4 books a night. It is not unusual for me to take weeks or even months to get through a book. I am always interested in what I read, otherwise I wouldn't keep reading, but I rarely feel a sense of urgency in completing it. So when I get through a 600 page book in 3 days, while working full time, fur me, that is remarkable. And with this book, I started at my usual time, right around 8 PM, and the next thing I knew it was nearly 3AM, and I get up at 5 AM. While I read it, I didn't just find myself getting incredibly absorbed in it, but when I went to sleep, I spent all night dreaming about it, and the next day at work, I spent all day thinking about it. Maybe this normal for you when reading fiction, but it is very unusual for me, and Andy Weir is one of the few writers I have read who has been able to do that consistently. Some writers can do it once. Dean Koontz did it once, the first book of his I read 'Watchers', but as much as I like the other books of his I've read, none of them hooked me like Watchers. Andy Weir has now done it three times, in fact, what I find most amazing is that each one intrigues me more than the previous one. I almost dread the next one because if this continues, I may have to take being sick so I can skip work and finish it in a day.

Was I hyperbolic in comparing him to Asimov? Maybe, but after getting 8 hours of sleep in 72 hours, 8 hours of sleep in which I spent the entire time dreaming about it, my excitement was at it's peak.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:27 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I agree about the latest Vorkosigan, which I also skipped. I wasn't entranced by the premise of Artemis, but perhaps I will try this next one.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:15 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Oh sure, I was probably being hyperbolic, but here's the thing, that is a reflection of my excitement and enthusiasm about what I read.

I don't know about you, but for me, it is extremely unusual for me to get so invested in a book I'm reading that I can read it for 6,7,8 hours at a time and then wonder where all the time went. I am usually reading at least 5 or 6 or more books at a time, I read most days for a couple hours before I go to bed. I read one a chapter in one book, then read a chapter in another, usually getting through 3 or 4 chapter s in 3 or 4 books a night. It is not unusual for me to take weeks or even months to get through a book. I am always interested in what I read, otherwise I wouldn't keep reading, but I rarely feel a sense of urgency in completing it. So when I get through a 600 page book in 3 days, while working full time, fur me, that is remarkable. And with this book, I started at my usual time, right around 8 PM, and the next thing I knew it was nearly 3AM, and I get up at 5 AM. While I read it, I didn't just find myself getting incredibly absorbed in it, but when I went to sleep, I spent all night dreaming about it, and the next day at work, I spent all day thinking about it. Maybe this normal for you when reading fiction, but it is very unusual for me, and Andy Weir is one of the few writers I have read who has been able to do that consistently. Some writers can do it once. Dean Koontz did it once, the first book of his I read 'Watchers', but as much as I like the other books of his I've read, none of them hooked me like Watchers. Andy Weir has now done it three times, in fact, what I find most amazing is that each one intrigues me more than the previous one. I almost dread the next one because if this continues, I may have to take being sick so I can skip work and finish it in a day.

Was I hyperbolic in comparing him to Asimov? Maybe, but after getting 8 hours of sleep in 72 hours, 8 hours of sleep in which I spent the entire time dreaming about it, my excitement was at it's peak.

Then Mr. Weir is on his way to being what I would consider in the running for world's best living SF author, for you. An accolade I consider totally subjective and unarguable. I mark a tribe of them, hard pressed to put one at the apex, at any point. They all meet the personal criteria. They speak to my conditions. For me, Mr. Weir is a promising neophyte. Such is subjectivity.

We approach reading differently, and not surprisingly so. I'm retired, I rest in a nest of multi ten thousands of books, and I am (mostly) the allocator of my time. I read (usually) one volume until it is defeated, then move on. The sequel is usually the next in the stack. I average varying number of pages a day, depending on subject matter, motivation, and whether I'm vertical and moving a lot. The last time I did a measured mile reading check, I averaged 5400 pages a month (+/-) over a 6 month period. If memory serves. I can't reconstruct my records. I don't always do that well.

I've been on Mr. Koontz' newsletter mailing list for over 20 years. I've always enjoyed him, back to the days when he was 10-12 people and now my wife is cautiously hooked likewise. (I introduce her to SF authors, too. Part of the reason we are together, going on 53 years. We read alike). As of 10 years ago, Koontz considered WATCHERS the one title he liked best, of all his books. I doubt he has changed his mind, 10 years later. I liked it too.

You could send Mr. Weir an email and tell him how you find his works. Check his web site. I usually do that face to face at cons (when we lived in a con-able world). Authors do seem to enjoy it.

Ok. I'll try Weir's latest.

Last edited by GKC on Fri May 28, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:31 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I agree about the latest Vorkosigan, which I also skipped. I wasn't entranced by the premise of Artemis, but perhaps I will try this next one.

If by latest, you mean the Jole/Red Queen thingy, it is not merely skipped. We don't discuss it chez nous.

Though I know that the author writes in similar/related genres, I have only read the Vorkosigan titles. I like her style. Goodbye to all that.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:04 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Ok. I bought PROJECT HAIL MARY yesterday. This morning I finished the last 50 pages of the antepenultimate title in the Vorkosigan series, so I'm through with that. And started the Weir. Am not quite at the halfway point. Will finish it tomorrow. Very readable and engaging, pulls you in and moves you forward. Has a tone of voice very similar to Bujold, in the Vorgosigans. Excellent hard SF. Reminds me of Hal Clement or Robert Forward. Or H. Beam Piper , in "Omniligual". And other stuff.

Will watch this guy. He might make a career in the field. Thanks for reminding me it was out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:57 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

GKC wrote:
If by latest, you mean the Jole/Red Queen thingy, it is not merely skipped. We don't discuss it chez nous.

I did, but it shall not be mentioned again.

Did you mean the one where Miles succeeds his father? It wasn't offensive, but it wasn't very good either.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:21 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
GKC wrote:

I did, but it shall not be mentioned again.

Did you mean the one where Miles succeeds his father? It wasn't offensive, but it wasn't very good either.

I was speaking of the Ivan opus: CAPTAIN VORPATRIL'S ALLIANCE.

I pretty much like them all. Save as noted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:49 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I liked the Ivan opus.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:01 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I liked the Ivan opus.

Am now reading Weber/Fox GOVERNOR, the revisit of the FURY universe. Is really good. Naturally.