Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fr. Joseph Tixeront's 3-volume "History of Dogmas"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:52 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Karl Keating's Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on "Romanism" by "Bible Christians" was first published, I believe, in 1988, and I purchased and read a copy soon after. I found it very informative. The "FOOD FOR THE MIND" chapter near the end with Keating's suggestions for further reading affected me greatly, too. One of those suggestions was Fr. William A. Jurgens' 3-volume The Faith of the Early Fathers. I quickly bought the set, and slowly paged through all three volumes over the course of many months. But Keating had another suggestion which I noted but never acted upon until very recently: Fr. Joseph Tixeront's 3-volume History of Dogmas first published, I believe, in French in 1905, 1909 and 1912, and in English, I think, 1910-1916. I downloaded the Kindle version (equivalent to 425-, 509- and 570-page works) for $0.99 per volume (a whopping $2.97 for the set) last August, and a few weeks ago began reading Volume I using the Kindle reader in my iPhone. I finished Volume I a few days ago and now am a few percent into Volume II. Certainly in those early centuries Christian theology was very inchoate and it was easy for a Christian author to write something that would be found suspicious, heterodox or heretical only decades or a century or three later. Lots of fascinating characters and beliefs. This is sharpening so much of what I first read about in Jurgens' great work.

Post subject: Re: Fr. Joseph Tixeront's 3-volume "History of Dogmas"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:54 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
Sounds fun. Found a copy of the set, but it is expensive. I may get it.

Post subject: Re: Fr. Joseph Tixeront's 3-volume "History of Dogmas"
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:48 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
I've found many books in digital versions for free or at lower cost than paperback or hardcover editions. I have a Kindle reader app on my iPhone and my iPad Mini. I also almost always check on BooksPrice.com to spot the lowest priced copy of a book. BooksPrice.com even allows you to create an email alert for a particular book so that when the price drops below a certain price, you receive notification via email of the lowered price. But still, many books remain stubbornly expensive in any format.