Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Roman Catholic & Orthodox Views of Ancestral/Original Sin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:35 pm 

Religion: Christian/Baptist
I am a new member who is a 74-year-old widower. I am currently with the Baptist Tradition. I was raised a Roman Catholic and attended Seminary with The Oblates of Mary Immaculate (1961-1963 St. Anthony's Seminary, San Antonio).
I am currently involved with several theological projects and wish to discuss Roman Catholicism Augustinian Position on Original Sin to better understand why it is significantly different than the Orthodox, Oriental, Church of the East Apostolic Traditions which take the Ancestral Sin view.
I believe that there is a direct correlation to this position and the various schisms in The Church starting in 400AD and finally to the Roman Catholic - Protestant Schism of the 1500s.
It is God's desire that His Church be One and I believe this is a major dividing point that has lasted for 16 centuries that should be resolved. I will say that I am familiar with the two positions and some of the major apologetics for each side, but I have never had a heart-to-heart, cup-of-coffee discussion with any Roman Catholic knowledgeable of the subject.
I believe Bishop Barron said Christians should stop arguing and start having discussions about their differences so that all may lear.
Look forward to this.
Dan

Post subject: Re: Roman Catholic & Orthodox Views of Ancestral/Original Si
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:00 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Welcome. I suggest you start a thread in The Lyceum with your questions as you are more likely to get a discussion going there.