Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I Want To Be A Catholic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:52 am 

Religion: Christian
There are two requisites that must be understood for reading this post:

1. There are no lies or sarcasm in this post. I am trying my best not to represent myself in any way with the things I am going to say. To quote the late Flip Wilson's character Geraldine, "What you see is what you get."

2. I am being more honest here than I generally am online. It is possible that I am being more honest here than I ever have online.

My name is Tony and I am almost 54 years old. I am from the northern part, or the top, of the southern half of Georgia USA. Southern Baptist is king here.

I want to start by saying I have a disability. I am visually impaired. I am not completely, but I am legally, blind and that causes me a lot of problems in life. There are several times I get treated pretty bad because of it.

I was not brought up in the church or going to church, and I didn't really grow up leading a Christian life style, but both my family and I have never disputed that Jesus died for our sins. I have never been an atheist and I couldn't if I wanted to be.

My growing up was kind of odd. I grew up always knowing that Jesus died for our sins, that there was a heaven and a hell, but with a huge disdain for many of the protestant churches that were located here. There was no doubt about the curruption of many of the ministers, but at the same time they were too high to be called out for it because they were ministers. I knew that Jesus died for our sins, and as I got into my 20's I would pray at times, but at the same time I was scared of the local protestant churches.

The one church that I was a little more trusting of, and had more respect for than I would ever admit, was the Catholic church. When I was about 8 I would go to our little video arcade and play video games. That said to me, as a boy of about 8 and 9, "He's just a regular person." None of the protestant ministers would have come in and played games. When I got older there were also other things that I came to respect about the Catholic church. A bit issue with me and the Catholic church, as opposed to some other Christian denominations, is drink. I can no longer drink myself because of medical issues, but I have always believed in the right to have a drink. Many of the protestant denominations support a prohibitionist stance and I can't, in good faith and in all honesty, align myself with a grpi[ that supports a prohibitionist platform.

The other things that I like about the Catholic church is the daily mass. To me, this is an open door and an open hand policy that I appreciate. It's like saying, "We're here if you need us or can and want to join us." That is a welcoming hand that I appreciate.

A while back I had reached the point that I wanted to get closer to God. I also decided that if there is a chance to save my very wicked sould that I don't want to go to hell. A dear friend, who is a Lutheran, and I were talking on the phone and I told her how I feel about the Catholic church. She quickly let me know that she didn't think much of Catholicism. She suggested I watch EWTN on TV and I know she was hoping it would turn me against Catholicism. She is still a dear frined, but her hopes backfired. EWTN has brought me a great deal of comfort during rough times and has made me want to be a true Catholic that much more.

There are two, and possibly three, problems with me becoming Catholic:

1. I am divorced. I have spoke to a local Catholic Priest over the phone and I told him about my marriage. My mom had just passed away and it was a money thing. We were legally married for almost 7 years but we only spent about four nights together during that time. He said he didn't think there would be too much problem with an annulment. I am also almost broke and I don't know if I can afford an annulment.

2. I wonder how much of a problem I would have with the RCIA classes would be because of my vision issue.

3. I am not baptised.

As the title of this post said, I want to be a Catholic. I do. It is just I don't know if I can meet the requirements. The only thing that concerns me about the annulment is the cost. Getting through the RCIA classes does concern me. I have also been going to college online up until the summer semester and I am not sure if I could manage both. All feedback is welcome.

Thank you to all who have read this post in its entirety.

Post subject: Re: I Want To Be A Catholic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF!

It was good that you were able to express all the things on your mind that troubled you about wanting to be Catholic but you thought couldn't be overcome.

I suggest that you pray about it, and then make an appointment with a priest. Due to your vision problems a friend can take you there and wait while you talk with the priest. If you desire to go through RCIA hopefully someone can take you there and bring you home again, or work something else out for your needs.

With prayer and the determination that flows from prayer there shouldn't be anything that can stop you from becoming Catholic.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Peace

Dorothy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:39 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Welcome. I live in south central Georgia, grew up Baptist, but also went to the Methodist church with my dad sometimes.

People here will treat you kindly, and it helps that you gave us the assurance that you are being honest and open. I converted in my 40's. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:32 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, Tony! Welcome to the board.

Thank you for sharing about your situation. It is wonderful that you want to be Catholic.

Talk to the priest again about the things that concern you. Did he tell you the cost for an annulment? In some dioceses there is no charge. If there is one, perhaps the costs can be reduced or even waived. Are you currently married to someone else or planning to marry? If not, I don't think that you will even need an annulment. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, and your priest should know.

I imagine accommodations can be made regarding RCIA and your vision issues.

Not being Baptized is not a problem at all. You will enter the Church through the sacrament of Baptism and will also be confirmed and receive the Holy Eucharist. These are the three sacraments of initiation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:17 pm 

Welcome to the board! :wave

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:10 am 

Signum Crucis wrote:
Welcome. I live in south central Georgia, grew up Baptist, but also went to the Methodist church with my dad sometimes.

People here will treat you kindly, and it helps that you gave us the assurance that you are being honest and open. I converted in my 40's. :)

Hello sir. I am sorry for being so long in replying but sometimes you get so busy that you don't have time to breathe. *geez* I appreciate you taking time to talk to me.

I enjoyed your reply. You said you live in south central Georgia. I am betting you and I are very close. Macon is central Georgia and is considered the heart of Georgia. When you leave Macon and get on I16 East I am about 50 miles down I16 East. I am about a third of the way between Macon and Savannah. I didn't say the town that I am from but I bet you know what it is. *:)*

I would enjoy talking to you more privately, and that is if you would be willing of course. It sounds like, based on the way that you described your location, you and I are very close.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:16 am 

Dorothy B. wrote:
Welcome to DCF!

It was good that you were able to express all the things on your mind that troubled you about wanting to be Catholic but you thought couldn't be overcome.

I suggest that you pray about it, and then make an appointment with a priest. Due to your vision problems a friend can take you there and wait while you talk with the priest. If you desire to go through RCIA hopefully someone can take you there and bring you home again, or work something else out for your needs.

With prayer and the determination that flows from prayer there shouldn't be anything that can stop you from becoming Catholic.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Peace

Dorothy

Dorothy thank you so much for so much. I do appreciate your prayers. The reason that it took me so long to return is that I am dealing with several different things now.

I hope I can gain some knowledge and help from this form. I also need the prayers.

God Bless you,

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:59 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I Love Dogs wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Hello sir. I am sorry for being so long in replying but sometimes you get so busy that you don't have time to breathe. *geez* I appreciate you taking time to talk to me.

I enjoyed your reply. You said you live in south central Georgia. I am betting you and I are very close. Macon is central Georgia and is considered the heart of Georgia. When you leave Macon and get on I16 East I am about 50 miles down I16 East. I am about a third of the way between Macon and Savannah. I didn't say the town that I am from but I bet you know what it is. *:)*

I would enjoy talking to you more privately, and that is if you would be willing of course. It sounds like, based on the way that you described your location, you and I are very close.

Check your private messages.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:02 am 
Master
Master

Welcome to the forum. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:36 pm 
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I Love Dogs wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Hiya!

I'm also a Catholic convert and native Georgian. I grew up in Athens, and my mom is from north Georgia, but my dad was from south Georgia. We traveled all over the state during my childhood, so I know the area and can make a decent guess as to where you're likely from. If I'm right, I have kin not far from there.

PS - I love dogs too...especially if they're Dawgs' dogs! :mrgreen:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap: