Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19973
Met him once, to my surprise, at the WWII Memorial in DC.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:36 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76799
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Not a surprise, as he announced a diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer in February, but I was still rooting for him to be the second major-party presidential nominee to reach triple digits (following Alf Landon who turned 100 in 1987), or third if you count Strom Thurmond (who wasn't nominated by a major party). The first vote I ever cast in a presidential election was for Bob Dole, I know, I know, I'm so young, not quite 50 (although I will pass that mark by the time Trump is inaugurated for his second term in 2025).

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:49 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19973
Doom wrote:
Not a surprise, as he announced a diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer in February, but I was still rooting for him to be the second major-party presidential nominee to reach triple digits (following Alf Landon who turned 100 in 1987), or third if you count Strom Thurmond (who wasn't nominated by a major party). The first vote I ever cast in a presidential election was for Bob Dole, I know, I know, I'm so young, not quite 50 (although I will pass that mark by the time Trump is inaugurated for his second term in 2025).



In a sense, his life after 14 Apr 45 was a surprise. Got his ONE SOLDIER'S STORY. Signed, to no one's surprise. And a photo of him with 3 vets and two spouses, that day, all members of my family.

Yes. You are young. Keep that up. I forgot to.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:00 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76799
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
This is the oldest I've ever been!

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:00 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:23 am
Posts: 19528
Location: NYC area
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
(although I will pass that mark by the time Trump is inaugurated for his second term in 2025).


As my Jewish neighbors like to say, 'from your mouth to God's ears'.

_________________
A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:19 pm 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:20 pm
Posts: 34127
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

My first presidential election: Bush I in 92.

_________________
Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:23 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19973
gherkin wrote:
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

My first presidential election: Bush I in 92.


Under the current rules, my first would have been for Goldwater.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:24 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19973
Doom wrote:
This is the oldest I've ever been!



And likely will be as true tomorrow.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:44 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:33 am
Posts: 4278
Religion: Catholic
:pray:

Pickle and I are about the same age.

Bush in ‘92

_________________
"So mercifully blessed to be free from the ravages of intelligence." - Taken from Time Bandits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:46 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:53 pm
Posts: 5962
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight
Doom wrote:
This is the oldest I've ever been!


And the youngest you'll ever be!

_________________
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

What you see depends on what you thought before you looked. Eugene Taurman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:31 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:04 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
Learner wrote:
Doom wrote:
This is the oldest I've ever been!


And the youngest you'll ever be!

Not me. From now on, I'm living backwards.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:06 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 6446
Religion: Christian
Image

_________________
But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:59 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:13 am
Posts: 480
Location: Houston TX
Religion: Catholic
gherkin wrote:
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

My first presidential election: Bush I in 92.

My first presidential election was 76. I'm still doing penance.

_________________
There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them. - George Orwell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:09 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76799
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Riverboat wrote:
gherkin wrote:
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

My first presidential election: Bush I in 92.

My first presidential election was 76. I'm still doing penance.


Did you vote for Carter? I'm fairness, in 1976, he didn't seem that bad

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:55 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:13 am
Posts: 480
Location: Houston TX
Religion: Catholic
Discovered! I was young then, and impressionable. I took to defending him against my father with weak "Give him a chance." I was 18. What did I know? But even my inchoate idealism gave way to skepticism when he appeared on TV wearing a yellow sweater in front of a fireplace. I distinctly remember thinking out loud, "You're on your own, bud."

Soon afterward I realized I was actually prolife, even conservative. I had voted for the last Democrat in my life.

_________________
There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them. - George Orwell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:04 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76799
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Riverboat wrote:
Discovered! I was young then, and impressionable. I took to defending him against my father with weak "Give him a chance." I was 18. What did I know? But even my inchoate idealism gave way to skepticism when he appeared on TV wearing a yellow sweater in front of a fireplace. I distinctly remember thinking out loud, "You're on your own, bud."

Soon afterward I realized I was actually pro-life, even conservative. I had voted for the last Democrat in my life.


I'm actually willing to defend Carter in this one respect, in 1976, Ford was unpopular due to his pardon of Nixon and he committed one of the worst gaffes of all time in the presidential debate, and as president, he was as bad as Carter with the incompetence. There was simply no good choice, except I guess for Reagan during the Republican primaries. But, in 1976, even Reagan wasn't yet Reagan. Part of the reason Carter was so bad as president was his lack of focus, he tried too much too soon, and a lot of his ideas were actually good, such as deregulating the airlines and selling off federal assets to cut the budget and save taxpayer money. He actually did sell quite a bit, most people forget that the president used to have his own private yacht, but Carter sold it, and it literally took an act of Congress to prevent him from selling Camp David and Air Force One. Even Calvin Coolidge probably wouldn't have scrapped Air Force One and flew commercial, but that is what Carter wanted to do. A president who promotes austerity can't be all bad. And, in 1976, Carter emphasized a moderate position on abortion, and talked about being 'Born Again'. Compared to Ford, he looked quite attractive I think. At least in November 1976

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:22 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:13 am
Posts: 480
Location: Houston TX
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
[Ford] committed one of the worst gaffes of all time in the presidential debate..."

Epic. Carter was grinning like a possum with a mouthful of persimmons. Ford opened that door to the White House to that cracker barrel-spouting Southern boy like a red-suited doorman at the Waldorf.

_________________
There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them. - George Orwell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:08 pm 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:20 pm
Posts: 34127
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
No idea. What happened?

_________________
Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:10 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19973
gherkin wrote:
No idea. What happened?


Likely

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... fe/493958/

Didn't affect my vote. No Dems, no time, no way.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Bob Dole
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:47 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:33 am
Posts: 4278
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
Riverboat wrote:
Discovered! I was young then, and impressionable. I took to defending him against my father with weak "Give him a chance." I was 18. What did I know? But even my inchoate idealism gave way to skepticism when he appeared on TV wearing a yellow sweater in front of a fireplace. I distinctly remember thinking out loud, "You're on your own, bud."

Soon afterward I realized I was actually pro-life, even conservative. I had voted for the last Democrat in my life.


I'm actually willing to defend Carter in this one respect, in 1976, Ford was unpopular due to his pardon of Nixon and he committed one of the worst gaffes of all time in the presidential debate, and as president, he was as bad as Carter with the incompetence. There was simply no good choice, except I guess for Reagan during the Republican primaries. But, in 1976, even Reagan wasn't yet Reagan. Part of the reason Carter was so bad as president was his lack of focus, he tried too much too soon, and a lot of his ideas were actually good, such as deregulating the airlines and selling off federal assets to cut the budget and save taxpayer money. He actually did sell quite a bit, most people forget that the president used to have his own private yacht, but Carter sold it, and it literally took an act of Congress to prevent him from selling Camp David and Air Force One. Even Calvin Coolidge probably wouldn't have scrapped Air Force One and flew commercial, but that is what Carter wanted to do. A president who promotes austerity can't be all bad. And, in 1976, Carter emphasized a moderate position on abortion, and talked about being 'Born Again'. Compared to Ford, he looked quite attractive I think. At least in November 1976


Carter gave us the Department of Education.

I get we had double-digit inflation. I get that we had double-digit interest rates on debt. I get we had an oil embargo. I get we had the Iranian hostage crisis. All of these awful things and more on his watch. And for all of them, I can forgive him.

But I can never forgive him giving us the Department of Education.

_________________
"So mercifully blessed to be free from the ravages of intelligence." - Taken from Time Bandits


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


Jump to:  
cron