Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 44 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Something New
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:54 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
My "quarantine at home" days had the added challenge of surgery recuperation, so, I could not do the closet cleanouts or Marie Knodo-ing of my house. Even my hobbies, crochet, knitting, needlework, spirograph, were not doable.

Thank heavens, my sweet sister sent me the gift of a record player, as well as a dozen or so albums. I've since been able to score a whole plastic bin full of albums from our KofC, and a few more surprises that have come from people in the parish.

My son bought me a perfect shelf/cube unit that holds LPs and my turntable at the perfect height for me. I am thoroughly enjoying listening to a wide range of artists and styles of music, that warm tone you only get from vinyl. When I get back to some sort of normal, I look forward to stalking flea markets and rummage sales for albums.

Also, I am trying to become more proficient at knitting. Right now, my goal is to use up all of my machine washable yarn by knitting scarves for the homeless.

Have you picked up any new hobbies or dusted off any old hobbies in 2020?

Post subject: Re: Something New
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:07 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Playing harmonica, although I don't believe it's got anything to do with the quarantine and whatnot.

Story: I bought a couple of good harmonicas when I was in high school, though I never really learned how to play them. A big part of the problem, I think, is that the instruction book I bought strongly advocated (and only taught) the tongue-blocking technique. I tried this technique and found it very difficult and consequently gave up. A few years ago, I found one of my old harmonicas in a box--a Hohner Blues Harp in C. Trouble is, whenever I played it, I got a headache. So I never messed with it too much, but it was always there on my shelf. (I don't know what the problem with the harp is, BTW, but it really does give me a headache whenever I play it.)

Anyway, we went down to the library book sale this summer and bought a box of books for $5. One of the books I threw in the box was a harmonica instruction book. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/903 ... _Americana The author advocated for the pucker technique over against the tongue blocking technique, and I got enough headaches trying to learn with my old harp so that I eventually bought a new harp, a Golden Melody in C. That was I think in August. I wound up buying a copy of Charlie McCoy's instruction book(not at the prices listed here!) and I kind of actually learned how to play!

I'm working on Irish music now.

Trouble is, I just picked up my guitar last night for the first time since I got the Golden Melody, and I couldn't hardly play a lick, and my fingers hurt after about five minutes. Not that I was any good before. But a four-month layoff didn't help anything. Honestly, I was frustrated with the guitar anyway because it's a piece of junk and I can't get it tuned. Get the string in tune open, and when you play a fretted note it's out of tune. And vice versa. It makes me ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:18 pm 
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I opened up a cross stitch tree skirt kit that’s been judgementally sitting in my closet for nearly 30 years. It won’t be done in time for this Christmas, but maybe next year....

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:47 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
gherkin wrote:

You should take up the pipes. If it ain't pipes, it ain't music. :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:55 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Vern Humphrey wrote:
gherkin wrote:

If it's no Scots, its crap.

HST, when you can play the Galway Shawl, I'll retract.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:00 pm 
There Can Be Only One

After a decades long hiatus, I began playing chess again -- online. It gives me the opportunity to be humiliated repeatedly without having to leave the house.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:22 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Highlander wrote:
Vern Humphrey wrote:
gherkin wrote:

If it's no Scots, its crap.

HST, when you can play the Galway Shawl, I'll retract.

A fella sez to me, "I thought only the Scots played the pipes."

"The Irish invented the pipes."

"I thought the Scots invented the pipes."

"The Irish invented the Scots."

Piobaireachd, which has no timing, is Scots. The 3-drone pipe is Scots -- adopted when the Scots started making reeds from cane rather than willow. The Irish have mostly adopted the 3rd drone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:06 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Some truth to that. As I understand history, the word "Scot" was used to identify Irish pirates/raiders who sailed the Irish Sea to the West of Scotland. As they stayed and settled, the Irish transplants became the Scots.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:46 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
I like to press flower petals and leaves and glue them to blank cards from a hobby shop. In that way I create generic greeting cards that are unique. Relatives and friends, at times, know how much I like to press flower petals and so they do it for me and give them to me.

This hobby has taken the place of all the years I made many mosaics and had a lot of them framed. My hands now have trouble cutting the tiles, and so I stopped altogether.

So, my creativity is now with the cards and friends and relatives comment on how much they like them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:23 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Highlander wrote:
Some truth to that. As I understand history, the word "Scot" was used to identify Irish pirates/raiders who sailed the Irish Sea to the West of Scotland. As they stayed and settled, the Irish transplants became the Scots.

That's correct. Around 360 AD, Fergus MacEarc, a Flarty (prince) of the Dal Riada Scots. crossed over into the Western Isles and established his kingdom. To this day, those islands are known as Argyle -- meaning the "Eastern Irish." From there they went to the mainland. Around 800 AD, at a ceremony at Edenborough, Kenneth MacAlpin admitted the Picts to the Gaelic clans.

After the '45 (Bonnie Prince Charlie's uprising in 1745) the English passed the Disarming Act. The Scots were not allowed to have weapons (including pipes), to wear the kilt, or to speak "the Irish language."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:41 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Vern Humphrey wrote:
gherkin wrote:

Got around 50 albums of such like, +/-. Unfortunately, only the CDs are accessible. My entire LP library (1200-1500 plus), heavy on classical/Scots/Irish (popular stuff), is and will be in storage. Likely for the remainder of my life.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:44 am 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:
Vern Humphrey wrote:
gherkin wrote:

Got around 50 albums of such like, +/-. Unfortunately, only the CDs are accessible. My entire LP library (1200-1500 plus), heavy on classical/Scots/Irish (popular stuff), is and will be in storage. Likely for the remainder of my life.

I still have an ancient "record player." And a couple of years back, Walmart was selling nostalgic record players.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:48 am 
There Can Be Only One

Vern Humphrey wrote:
...a couple of years back, Walmart was selling nostalgic record players.

I prefer record players that are not burdened with that emotion. I rather like upbeat ones.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:08 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Highlander wrote:
Vern Humphrey wrote:
...a couple of years back, Walmart was selling nostalgic record players.

I prefer record players that are not burdened with that emotion. I rather like upbeat ones.

They're very emotional machines -- some of the music they play is downright sad. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:34 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Vern Humphrey wrote:
GKC wrote:
Vern Humphrey wrote:
gherkin wrote:

I still have an ancient "record player." And a couple of years back, Walmart was selling nostalgic record players.

I use a 70s component set (back when), and have two spare turntables and cartridges, just in case. All in storage. I miss them all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
kage_ar wrote:
My "quarantine at home" days had the added challenge of surgery recuperation, so, I could not do the closet cleanouts or Marie Knodo-ing of my house. Even my hobbies, crochet, knitting, needlework, spirograph, were not doable.

Thank heavens, my sweet sister sent me the gift of a record player, as well as a dozen or so albums. I've since been able to score a whole plastic bin full of albums from our KofC, and a few more surprises that have come from people in the parish.

My son bought me a perfect shelf/cube unit that holds LPs and my turntable at the perfect height for me. I am thoroughly enjoying listening to a wide range of artists and styles of music, that warm tone you only get from vinyl. When I get back to some sort of normal, I look forward to stalking flea markets and rummage sales for albums.

Also, I am trying to become more proficient at knitting. Right now, my goal is to use up all of my machine washable yarn by knitting scarves for the homeless.

Have you picked up any new hobbies or dusted off any old hobbies in 2020?

No. Fortunately my business involves so-called "essential" work (cleaning and disinfecting janitorial companies) so I have stayed pretty busy. The only downturn for me has been the auction sites which I frequent. Some of the best ones where I scored big are still closed. Quite frustrating. And I haven't done any driving for LYFT because I refuse to wear a mask, which they require. Other than that, nothing has really changed for me.

Glad to hear that people took care of you and you developed new interests!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:26 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
GKC wrote:
Vern Humphrey wrote:
gherkin wrote:

And then someone donates all of that stuff to the Knights of Columbus for their charity rummage sale and I buy the lot for $10 :) :wave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:25 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
GKC wrote:
Vern Humphrey wrote:
gherkin wrote:

And then someone donates all of that stuff to the Knights of Columbus for their charity rummage sale and I buy the lot for $10 :) :wave

May very well work out like that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:37 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:

May very well work out like that.[/quote]

Let me know when you make your decision, and I'll donate $11 to the Knights and pay the postage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:45 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Vern Humphrey wrote:
GKC wrote:

May very well work out like that.

Let me know when you make your decision, and I'll donate $11 to the Knights and pay the postage.[/quote]

LPs only, or the components and rack, with spares too?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 44 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next