Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 63 of 64   [ 1266 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Catch-all thread for "other" sports
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
That isn't an unusual score in women's basketball when you have an Elite team playing one that isn't all that great. When my alma mater was in the Sun Belt with Texas Pan American we had a 101 point win and a few others that were close. We were a regular Final Four team and they rarely won more than 5 games.

My boys bowling team is 4-1. They should be 5-0. We won't talk about it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:10 pm 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
It is, however, the first time a team has been shut out in the first quarter since they went to quarters in Division 1 women's basketball. :fyi:

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:23 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
weunice wrote:
That isn't an unusual score in women's basketball when you have an Elite team playing one that isn't all that great. When my alma mater was in the Sun Belt with Texas Pan American we had a 101 point win and a few others that were close. We were a regular Final Four team and they rarely won more than 5 games.

My boys bowling team is 4-1. They should be 5-0. We won't talk about it ;)

uh oh....inquiring minds have to know now :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 pm 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

Wright State hangs on to win in Milwaukee after one of their star players, Loudon Love, was tossed for a Flagrant 2 violation with 8 minutes and change remaining .... it came down to the wire but the Raiders improve to 19-4 on the season, 9-1 in the Horizon League.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:32 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
No video = didn't happen.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:51 pm 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

If you have access to ESPN3, you can watch the play on which the flagrant was called here (I even put in the time index):

http://www.espn.com/watch?id=03fff50c-2 ... =01h12m08s

Edit: For some reason the time index in the URL doesn't seem to work, so go to 1 hour 12 minutes of the archived video.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:12 pm 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

Here is a 4-minute highlight video from the Wright State / Milwaukee game. They don't include the play which got the Flagrant 2 called on Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNMs-fShBp0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

OK, we played a team that we were better than "on paper". One of my top 3 bowlers (a 170 avg kid) and bowled an 84. Yes, that is correct. He is a freshman. The last match he shot 550. We lost that first game with the 84 by a margin of 6-2. Won the next one by the same margin to tie it up at 8 all and then we just bowled a mediocre game. They bowled their best game of the season and took the match from us. Honestly, I think they gamed up for us and our kids had a letdown after our big win from late the week before. It was the first time we had beaten that team in our programs history.

I have a kid with two 700's this season so his average is up above 210 and my next highest is right around 190. The rest of my top five are capable of bowling 200's sporadically. My sixth spot needs work but we have time to get there. My team is actually quite good at spares -- better than most of the better teams. We just have to work on ball motion and adjustments regarding keeping the ball in the pocket. Kids this age struggle thinking through shots beforehand and really gathering all of the information required to make a better decision next shot.

We then bowled in a Baker tournament this weekend which actually helps me. It was a 7 game baker match where you drop the bottom 2 games. We averaged 224 for the 5 and even with the bottom 2 in we would have averaged 210. FOr Bakers, that is pretty awesome. We won the tournament against the top teams in the state so we are riding a big high right now. Our girls placed 3rd.

Not only that, our top bowler did this ... (not a rick roll, but do go watch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtG22grFfg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:50 pm 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

Wright State men lost at Green Bay this afternoon, 92-89. We apparently forgot how to play defense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:48 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

weunice wrote:
OK, we played a team that we were better than "on paper". One of my top 3 bowlers (a 170 avg kid) and bowled an 84. Yes, that is correct. He is a freshman. The last match he shot 550. We lost that first game with the 84 by a margin of 6-2. Won the next one by the same margin to tie it up at 8 all and then we just bowled a mediocre game. They bowled their best game of the season and took the match from us. Honestly, I think they gamed up for us and our kids had a letdown after our big win from late the week before. It was the first time we had beaten that team in our programs history.

I have a kid with two 700's this season so his average is up above 210 and my next highest is right around 190. The rest of my top five are capable of bowling 200's sporadically. My sixth spot needs work but we have time to get there. My team is actually quite good at spares -- better than most of the better teams. We just have to work on ball motion and adjustments regarding keeping the ball in the pocket. Kids this age struggle thinking through shots beforehand and really gathering all of the information required to make a better decision next shot.

We then bowled in a Baker tournament this weekend which actually helps me. It was a 7 game baker match where you drop the bottom 2 games. We averaged 224 for the 5 and even with the bottom 2 in we would have averaged 210. FOr Bakers, that is pretty awesome. We won the tournament against the top teams in the state so we are riding a big high right now. Our girls placed 3rd.

Not only that, our top bowler did this ... (not a rick roll, but do go watch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtG22grFfg

outstanding... sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on this, coach! good job!

never picked it up myself ... i've had it shoot to the other side many times, just never pop out of the back or off the side

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:16 am 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

Congratulations to the Melbourne Aces, 2020 Australian Baseball League Champions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:18 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

any sign stealing scandals going on down under :?: 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 am 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

Not that I know of.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:08 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

i would like ... oh wait.... noting that the houston roughnecks began their xfl journey with a come from behind win this weekend..... congrats boys...good job!

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:06 pm 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

History for Wright State. For the first time EVAH, they received votes in the AP Division I men's basketball poll, although they didn't crack the top 25.

https://wsuraiders.com/news/2020/2/10/r ... -poll.aspx

They are 21-5 overall, 11-2 in the Horizon League.

:wootsign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:39 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

congrats to #1 south carolina for handing mighty uconn their 3rd 15 point loss in a season...the first time that has ever happened under gino it's looking like they may have a hard time getting a #1 seed in a region this year

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:55 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's still too early to #fork them, though.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Power rankings came out for HS bowling in Louisiana. We are #3 although, admittedly, that is likely a little high (realistically). We are benefiting from playing the toughest schedule in the state power rankings wise. Our first 7 opponents are playoff bound teams but mostly in the 14-28 range. We bowled today to move to 7-1. We are entering a weak part of our schedule so our ranking should drop some although we do face the #1 power ranked team at the end of this month. I would love to keep the 3 seed.

My son bowled his best series ever today, a 746 (256,233,257). Once he got the right ball in his hand it was off to the races. It is currently the high series in our region. Not sure how it stacks up in the state.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:41 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:19 am 
Requiem in Pacem
Requiem in Pacem

Wright State finished their home men's basketball schedule yesterday by trouncing IUPUI (whom I like to call I-U-pooie :twisted: ) 106-66. Meanwhile, a bit to the south, Northern Kentucky lost badly at home to UIC. This widens Wright State's lead in the Horizon League to two games, with three games left.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 63 of 64   [ 1266 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next