Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pope Francis to confer new lay ministries for first time
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:00 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
The Vatican has announced that Pope Francis will confer the ministries of catechist, lector, and acolyte upon lay men and women for the first time in St. Peter’s Basilica on Sunday.

Candidates from three continents will receive the new ministries during the papal Mass for the Sunday of the Word of God on Jan. 23.

Two people from the Amazonian region in Peru will be formally made catechists by the pope, along with other candidates from Brazil, Ghana, Poland, and Spain.

The ministry of lector will be conferred on lay Catholics from South Korea, Pakistan, Ghana, and Italy.

Each of these ministries will be conferred through a rite prepared by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments that will be presented for the first time, according to a Vatican communique issued on Jan. 18.

“Before the homily, the candidates will be summoned, called by name and presented to the Church,” it said.

Those called to the ministry of lector will be presented with a Bible, while catechists will be entrusted with a cross.

In this case, it will be a copy of the pastoral cross used by popes St. Paul VI and St. John Paul II.

Pope Francis established the ministry of catechist as an instituted, vocational service within the Catholic Church last May.

The newly instituted ministry is for lay people who have a particular call to serve the Catholic Church as a teacher of the faith. The ministry lasts for the entirety of life, regardless of whether the person is actively carrying out that activity during every part of his or her life.

According to the apostolic letter Antiquum ministerium, a lay person called to be instituted in the ministry of catechist should have “deep faith and human maturity,” be an active participant in the life of the Christian community, and “capable of welcoming others, being generous and living a life of fraternal communion.”

Among the candidates to be inducted into the ministry by Pope Francis this week is the president of the Roman Oratory Center, which was founded by Arnaldo Canepa, who dedicated more than 40 years of his life to the catechetical instruction of children.

The pope changed Church law in January 2021 so that women can be formally instituted to the lay ministries of lector and acolyte.

In the apostolic letter Spiritus Domini, the pope modified the Code of Canon Law, which previously limited the ministries to lay men.

A lector is a person who reads Scripture — other than the Gospel, which is only proclaimed by deacons and priests — to the congregation at Mass.

After abolishing the minor orders, Pope Paul VI wrote that an acolyte was a ministry in the Church with the “duty to take care of the service of the altar, to help the deacon and the priest in liturgical actions, especially in the celebration of the Holy Mass.”

Potential responsibilities for an acolyte include distributing Holy Communion as an extraordinary minister if such ministers are not present, publicly exposing the Eucharist for adoration in extraordinary circumstances, and “the instruction of the other faithful, who, on a temporary basis, help the deacon and the priest in liturgical services by carrying the missal, cross, candles, etc.”

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... s-basilica

Post subject: Re: Pope Francis to confer new lay ministries for first time
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:20 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Catholic
Ya know, never mind.

I can’t think of a single charitable thing to say. So I won’t say anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:18 am 

Lector has already been a permanent position for at least a year or two, and I met a permanent acolyte almost 25 years ago, while on pilgrimage. Don't remember what diocese.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:16 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Peetem wrote:
Ya know, never mind.

I can’t think of a single charitable thing to say. So I won’t say anything.

I agree. I'll pray instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:37 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
anawim wrote:
Lector has already been a permanent position for at least a year or two, and I met a permanent acolyte almost 25 years ago, while on pilgrimage. Don't remember what diocese.

It's been "permanent" much longer than that (ever since Paul VI "abolished" the minor orders and introduced the ministries of lector and acolyte), but they just haven't been used very much heretofore.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:56 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Makes me wonder how "cutting edge" my parish is because women have been readers and extraordinary ministers for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:33 pm 

p.falk wrote:
Makes me wonder how "cutting edge" my parish is because women have been readers and extraordinary ministers for a long time.

But those positions weren't always permanent. If I as a reader were to move, I would have to undergo approval at my new parish. A permanent lector doesn't need to do that.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:40 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
anawim wrote:
p.falk wrote:

But those positions weren't always permanent. If I as a reader were to move, I would have to undergo approval at my new parish. A permanent lector doesn't need to do that.

That's because they were rarely used as such and were not open to women. But men in the seminary were installed as acolytes and lectors - that is, they were used as substitutes for minor orders even though these latter had been "abolished".

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 am 
There Can Be Only One

Interesting and good to know.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!