Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 5   [ 92 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Dune Trailer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:04 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
I didn't say they were miscast

I guess I misunderstood this?

Quote:
there is certainly nothing about him that seems like the character in the book. Ditto Duncan Idaho.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:09 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
Just saw the Dune movie.

Loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:58 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peregrinator wrote:
Doom wrote:
I didn't say they were miscast

I guess I misunderstood this?

Quote:
there is certainly nothing about him that seems like the character in the book. Ditto Duncan Idaho.

I mean that he just stands around doing nothing and plays no significant role in the story. A viewer who had never read the book would be justified in assuming that Gurney and Duncan were minor characters, rather than central characters who play an important role in the story. Indeed, Duncan Idaho is the only character who appears in all 6 books.

I agree with the review in the New Yorker which says that

Quote:
The film includes very short scenes of terse dialogue that slot the story together piece by piece while hardly allowing for dramatic development, let alone the characters’ full perspective on the action.

Thev most disappointing thing was the character of Paul, who in the book is conflicted and afraid of the idea that he might be the Messiah ( which let's face it, is exactly what all those titles mean) and he only accepts the role reluctantly when it becomes clear that he can't avoid it

In this movie, he seems to take the attitude 'so I'm the Messiah, awesome, so let's get out there and start doing some Messiah-ing', this is not just less interesting than the internal conflict in the book, it is psychologically false

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:19 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Peregrinator wrote:
Doom is completely wrong about Dune, both Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa are perfectly cast, even Timothee Chamalet surprised me with the power of his performance.

I agree with you (lesser of two evils, I know).

Dune is, in my mind, impossible to translate to a movie, it would need to be a years long series for maybe HBO or NetFlix. This film is a very good start!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:47 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:
I mean that he just stands around doing nothing and plays no significant role in the story.

What does he do in the first half of the book that he doesn't do in the movie? Ditto for Duncan?

Quote:
In this movie, he seems to take the attitude 'so I'm the Messiah, awesome, so let's get out there and start doing some Messiah-ing', this is not just less interesting than the internal conflict in the book, it is psychologically false

I'm starting to think you saw a different movie than I did....

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:44 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Part Two officially greenlit - scheduled for October 2023

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:46 pm 
King of Cool

kage_ar wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Doom is completely wrong about Dune, both Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa are perfectly cast, even Timothee Chamalet surprised me with the power of his performance.

I agree with you (lesser of two evils, I know).

Dune is, in my mind, impossible to translate to a movie, it would need to be a years long series for maybe HBO or NetFlix. This film is a very good start!!

after 3 failed attmpts to adapt the book, I have to conclude the book is indeed impossible to adapt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:57 pm 
King of Cool

Peregrinator wrote:
Doom wrote:
I mean that he just stands around doing nothing and plays no significant role in the story.

What does he do in the first half of the book that he doesn't do in the movie? Ditto for Duncan?

Quote:

I'm starting to think you saw a different movie than I did....

His last words were (paraphrased) 'remember I am the Mahdi, I can marry the princess Irulan and become emperor', not only is this something Paul would never say, it doesn't even make sense in the context in which he says it, it is an obvious and clumsy attempt to foreshadow for the second half of the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:43 pm 
King of Cool

By the way, I know I'm in the minority hating this movie, literally everyone else is talking about how "amazing ' it was, but I think there is more to it than just the fact that I tend not to like the movie version of books I've read

Whenever I read the book first I end up hating the movie I can't think of a single counter example. The Martian? Hated the movie. Harry Potter? Hated the movies. The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings? Ditto.

But when I see the movie first it is different. The Shootist? Good book, possibly better movie. True Grit? Great book, both movie versions great as well. Willy Wonka? Weird book, Gene Wilder movie, good, Johnny Depp version, awful. And then there are the Philip K Dick stories, Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, all decent movies the original short stories better abd quite different.

But there is more to my dislike of this version of Dune than just the fact that it doesn't tell the story the way I pictured it in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:41 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:
His last words were (paraphrased) 'remember I am the Mahdi, I can marry the princess Irulan and become emperor', not only is this something Paul would never say, it doesn't even make sense in the context in which he says it, it is an obvious and clumsy attempt to foreshadow for the second half of the movie.

He does mention something like that but it's before the end, I believe the last thing he says is "my road leads into the desert"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:43 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
I read the books about 30 yrs ago. I really enjoyed them. The movie was less than riveting. The whole thing just felt amateur. Predictable, but without the spice. Like watching a High School play minus the charm. The music was dreary. I liked the worm.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
I read the books about 30 yrs ago. I really enjoyed them. The movie was less than riveting. The whole thing just felt amateur. Predictable, but without the spice. Like watching a High School play minus the charm. The music was dreary. I liked the worm.

Sand worms best part of DUNE.

And the sea rises higher."

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 5   [ 92 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5