All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Catholic mother, 51, plans to die by euthanasia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Here are the final two paragraphs from this article:

Quote:
The family doesn't have special plans for his mother's final night Saturday. She hopes to spend it as she always does, by going to bed early. She plans to end her life at 7 a.m. on Sunday, when she would normally be heading to church. Her son will be the only person in the room with her, he said.

Her body is to be cremated immediately. Federico [her son] plans to spread her ashes in the Caribbean Sea, off Colombia's northern coast. But first, he will join with their family, her remains beside him, and take the Eucharist.

Post subject: Re: Catholic mother, 51, plans to die by euthanasia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:08 pm 
Adept
Adept

St. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote:

Quote:
The family doesn't have special plans for his mother's final night Saturday. She hopes to spend it as she always does, by going to bed early. She plans to end her life at 7 a.m. on Sunday, when she would normally be heading to church. Her son will be the only person in the room with her, he said.

Her body is to be cremated immediately. Federico [her son] plans to spread her ashes in the Caribbean Sea, off Colombia's northern coast. But first, he will join with their family, her remains beside him, and take the Eucharist.

Satanic.

My God have mercy on her mis-guided soul.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Yes, may the Lord have mercy on her confused soul! How very sad.

May all those who suffer and love Our Lord Jesus Christ be aware that they can offer up their suffering to the Lord and He can use it to open up hardened hearts to get to know Him.

Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom......Pray for us!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Imho, she's afraid of suffering. Lou Gehrig's disease is a frightening thing. I would imagine her fear is overriding anything else in her life. She doesn't want to suffer; therefore, God doesn't want her to suffer, and approves of her plan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:25 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Peetem wrote:

Quote:

Satanic.

The suffering that this woman is in, the way her son is suffering, I cannot even fathom. To be called "satanic" for being in such anguish is uncharitable.

The Catechism says this about suicide:

Suicide

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:36 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Goodness. That is meant to give comfort and hope to families and other loved ones left behind, not to justify it to the living. If we as a society held the truth on suicide people would not feel as tempted (or even pressured) to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Zeno wrote:
Goodness. That is meant to give comfort and hope to families and other loved ones left behind, not to justify it to the living. If we as a society held the truth on suicide people would not feel as tempted (or even pressured) to do it.

to my wee, addled brain, going on a public, world wide network and referring to a person who is suffering, a person who is in the garden sweating great drops of blood because they understand the suffering that is to come, making a public post calling their plan "satanic" does not give any comfort or hope. These stories are real people.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

What is satanic is the clever temptation so strong that even good people try to justify the action, not the people involved. But if perhaps the person did see this conversation I would pray it might jar them to their senses before it is too late. :pray:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:59 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
One who does not speak out against a great wrong is complicit in that wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:13 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
It's clear, anyway, that the temptation here is Satanic. The belief that self murder is the way to handle fear and suffering is anti-Christ, and straight from the Father of Lies. Someone's culpability in giving in to the whispering of the enemy might be reduced due to personal circumstances, but we shouldn't ever assume as much. And the point is that it's that person's subjective culpability that is lessened--not that the objective evil of the act is somehow reduced!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:06 am 
Adept
Adept

kage_ar wrote:
Peetem wrote:

Quote:

Satanic.

The suffering that this woman is in, the way her son is suffering, I cannot even fathom. To be called "satanic" for being in such anguish is uncharitable.

Suicide

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

I wasn't saying her fear of suffering was satanic, nor was I attacking her.

What I was attacking and saying is satanic is the idea that euthanasia is an acceptable choice.

Last edited by Peetem on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:08 am 
Adept
Adept

kage_ar wrote:
Peetem wrote:

Quote:

Satanic.

Suicide

Anyone who knows my character, as some here surely do (at least as much as one can on a message board), would know I would never directly attack her.

I too deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to charity. :D