Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 77 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Dune Trailer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:01 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I've never been a big fan of Dune, about 10 years ago, I tried to read the series and gave up halfway through book 3 (Children of Dune) but this looks good. I am currently trying to read the Dune series again, and this time I've gotten much farther, I just started book 5 (Heretics of Dune) and plan to finish the series soon. I think the plan is to make a franchise and film all 6 books. The problem is that this movie tells only half the story, I don't know where it ends, but there is nothing in the trailer that suggests that it is only half a movie, I can only imagine the outrage when this film ends in a cliffhanger when they didn't know in advance that it wouldn't tell the whole story. It really should be called 'Dune Part I'...they may be assuming that the novel is so well known and widely read (it is the best-selling science fiction novel ever) that everyone will just automatically 'know' this in advance. This is extremely foolish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLGrJh8ybg

Post subject: Re: Dune Trailer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:40 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
The producers have been open about it only covering about half of the novel.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:43 pm 
King of Cool

Peregrinator wrote:

But only a tiny fraction of the potential audience follows movie or entertainment news enough to know that. I thought Marvel made it absolutely clear, as early as 2014, 4 years early, that Infinity War would be a 2 part story, but in the theater on opening day, several people expressed outrage over the fact that it ended in a cliffhanger.

People like you and me who are interested in stuff like this and follow movie news, know this. But what about the people who don't even really know about Dune who decide to see it because they think the trailer looks really cool? The actual marketing needs to make it clear that it is a 2 part story. I don't care if they even film the sequels, but assuming this movie is good, I would like to see the second half. But the second part will never get made if this movie is a bomb due to misleading marketing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:16 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:

But only a tiny fraction of the potential audience follows movie or entertainment news enough to know that. I thought Marvel made it absolutely clear, as early as 2014, 4 years early, that Infinity War would be a 2 part story, but in the theater on opening day, several people expressed outrage over the fact that it ended in a cliffhanger.

Well yes, because they had also said closer to the film's release that it would not be a two-part story, that Infinity War and its sequel would be different stories.

Anyway this Dune trailer looks absolutely terrible.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:14 am 
King of Cool

Peregrinator wrote:
Doom wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:

Well yes, because they had also said closer to the film's release that it would not be a two-part story, that Infinity War and its sequel would be different stories.

Anyway, this Dune trailer looks absolutely terrible.

They did not say that it would not be a two-part story they said that it would not be called 'Infinity War Part 1 and 2' because the second film would not be a direct continuation of the first movie but would pick up the story at a later point, and would tell a different story, the 'Infinity War' ends with the first movie. And all of that is true.

The original plan was for the Infinity War to last for two movies, that both movies would involve Thanos trying to collect the Infinity Stones with him ultimately failing. Somewhere along the way, they decided that would be boring and that it would be more interesting to have Thanos actually collect all the Stones and for the heroes to lose They never said the the first one wouldn't end in a cliffhanger. Indeed, the fact that it was a two-part story was discussed extensively at the time. It was widely said that one year later would be a still-unnamed 'Avengers 4' that would complete the story. At the time Infinity War was released in April 2018, there was already an extensive online debate about how the movie would end (my theory turned out to be correct) and what the conclusion would be called.

Last edited by Doom on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:08 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I give the trailer a "meh."

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:44 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I give the trailer a "meh."

Are we watching the same thing? In the one I saw, everything looked exactly how it is described in the book, every scene comes from the book (I know exactly what is happening in every second of the trailer), and 90% of the dialogue comes directly from the book as well. This has extremely good production quality, has a great cast, and seems to be a very close, even slavish, adaptation of the book. What more could you ask for? I mean, David Lynch's version was 95% made up and had virtually no relation to the book.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:54 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

You are very mistaken to believe that 90% of the dialogue in the trailer comes directly from the book. I hardly recognize any of it! Lynch's adaptation was very weird but also - a lot of the dialogue was straight out of the book.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:10 pm 
King of Cool

Peregrinator wrote:
You are very mistaken to believe that 90% of the dialogue in the trailer comes directly from the book. I hardly recognize any of it! Lynch's adaptation was very weird but also - a lot of the dialogue was straight out of the book.

I just read the first book in the last month, and I have a good memory of things I read, I recognized everything in the trailer. I'm an extremely harsh critic of movie adaptations of books I've read, I spend the entire movie mentally 'correcting' it. Based on what I saw in this trailer (and the previous one released a year ago) this looks like it will be one of the most faithful adaptations of a novel ever made, probably the only one closer would be 'The Princess Bride' (in which literally every line of dialogue came directly from the book). The fact that they are splitting it into two movies is itself very encouraging, as the biggest problem with most adaptations is excessively condensing the story to the point that all my favorite parts are removed. To do the story justice, they need to give it time to develop. I don't think that will be a problem here, the only significant change is likely to be shortening the dialogue scenes, as the Dune novels are mostly people standing around talking, and no one wants to spend 4 hours watching people having longwinded conversations with about an hour of action.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:18 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Don't care about any of the nuanced criticism or discussion. Cause I love the world building of Arrakis. And the characters. And the plot. And the pseudo-science.

Never can get me enough of Dune. The first book, that is.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:39 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Re-watched the Lynch film a few months ago. The nostalgia factor is high for me because I loved Dune and I loved Sting, I wanted to LOVE this film when it first came out.

Jude is excited for the new film series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:15 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Their decision to replace “jihad” with “crusade” is a red flag for me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:04 pm 
King of Cool

HalJordan wrote:

Guess they don't want to get their heads cut off, can't say i blame them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:50 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

HalJordan wrote:

mmm, no, not for me. The word doesn't have the same connotation as it did in 1965.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:53 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

I finally realized why a woman's being cast as Liet-Kynes bothers me, but I can't explain it without spoiling both Dune and Blade Runner 2049.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:08 pm 
King of Cool

Ii just finished Heretics of Dune today, and I have to ask, what the hell was Frank Herbert thinking?

The first 4 books are consistently PG, this one is NC 17. I found myself shocked by the explicit sexual discussions, he is almost as graphic as George RR Martin, and there is even occasional profanity. What the hell?

And suddenly the story gets a lot darker and more cynical, and it starts out pretty dark and cynical to begin with. What the hell was going on? Why the radical shift? Is the final book in the same vein?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:26 am 
There Can Be Only One

Peregrinator wrote:
I finally realized why a woman's being cast as Liet-Kynes bothers me, but I can't explain it without spoiling both Dune and Blade Runner 2049.

Recasting as a woman. Sort of compulsory nowadays, eh? She is a WOC. Woke.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:51 pm 
King of Cool

I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has read at least the first book, if not the entire series (everything except Chapterhouse Dune, which I will start tomorrow) so I don't think 'spoilers' are even possible. Go ahead and make your complaint.

But I'm pretty sure the reason they did it is that Dune is a very male-centric story, and the few female characters (i.e. the Bene Jessurits) are portrayed negatively and they think they need 'representation', even though I'm pretty sure they won't change any of the characters in something like 'Little Women' into men for the same reason. There is, of course, absolutely nothing wrong with a male-centric, or female-centric, story, as long as the story is good, no one will care.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:03 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Liet-Kynes suffers a violent death, if you have women in men's roles then you're going to see a woman's violent death portrayed on screen, as happened near the end of Blade Runner 2049

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 pm 
King of Cool

Peregrinator wrote:
Liet-Kynes suffers a violent death, if you have women in men's roles then you're going to see a woman's violent death portrayed on screen, as happened near the end of Blade Runner 2049

That is true, and the usual suspects will condemn it as 'secist' to introduce a female character just to kill her off

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 77 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next