Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Helen Rawlings’ “The Spanish Inquisition”
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:32 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
This is the third book I read concerning the Inquisition in particular this year. I also read two biographies of Isabel la Católica and the autobiography of Emperor Charles V which also concern the Spanish Inquisition. I have two biographies of Philip II of Spain and a biography of Ximenez (Jimenez) de Cisneros to read yet. But, I think I am getting a good understanding of these events.

REVIEW

Post subject: Re: Helen Rawlings’ “The Spanish Inquisition”
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:25 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
Servant of Guadalupe wrote:
This is the third book I read concerning the Inquisition in particular this year. I also read two biographies of Isabel la Católica and the autobiography of Emperor Charles V which also concern the Spanish Inquisition. I have two biographies of Philip II of Spain and a biography of Ximenez (Jimenez) de Cisneros to read yet. But, I think I am getting a good understanding of these events.

REVIEW

Compare it to the witchcraft trials in Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:55 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

REVIEW

I agree, Kamen for choice. He has 3 editions of that title; I have not read the 3rd.

For the true fanatic and masochist, THE ORIGINS OF THE SPANISH INQUISITION IN FIFTEENTH CENTURY SPAIN/ Netanyahu. The father of the Netanyahu you're familiar with.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:08 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Some days I long for the inquisition... usually after committee meetings.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:42 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
Some days I long for the inquisition... usually after committee meetings.

I no longer go to committee meetings. Or vestry meetings or similar.

But I get your point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:57 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
If there is one word which explains why the human race has never reached and never will reach, it's full potential, that word would be 'meetings'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:35 am 
Adept
Adept

GKC wrote:

REVIEW

I agree, Kamen for choice. He has 3 editions of that title; I have not read the 3rd.

For the true fanatic and masochist, THE ORIGINS OF THE SPANISH INQUISITION IN FIFTEENTH CENTURY SPAIN/ Netanyahu. The father of the Netanyahu you're familiar with.

Netanyahu is much quoted in a lot of books I have recently read. I wondered if there was a relation between the two.

Kamen’s 3rd is what I am reviewing. I think it is best to read it in tandem with Walsh as he was also a great scholar and it makes it easier to put the Spanish Inquisition into a Catholic frame. In other words, Kamen put more meat on the bones that Walsh gave me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:54 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

GKC wrote:

REVIEW

Netanyahu is much quoted in a lot of books I have recently read. I wondered if there was a relation between the two.

Kamen’s 3rd is what I am reviewing. I think it is best to read it in tandem with Walsh as he was also a great scholar and it makes it easier to put the Spanish Inquisition into a Catholic frame. In other words, Kamen put more meat on the bones that Walsh gave me.

I considered Kamen's 2nd ed. an advance on the 1st. No doubt I'd find the 3rd similar. But the Spanish Inquisition is only a minor point of interest for me. I have only 7-8 books directly on it, a couple of more that treat it more than just in passing. If I were committed to the thing, I'd be up around 25-30 titles, minimum. OTOH. if you are not familiar with it, I do suggest Peters/INQUISITION, which treats of all of them, not just the Spanish. And has some very good overall comments.

I conclude from the titles you do mention that you, like me, believe in reading around a topic, broadly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:29 pm 
Adept
Adept

GKC wrote:
GKC wrote:

REVIEW

I considered Kamen's 2nd ed. an advance on the 1st. No doubt I'd find the 3rd similar. But the Spanish Inquisition is only a minor point of interest for me. I have only 7-8 books directly on it, a couple of more that treat it more than just in passing. If I were committed to the thing, I'd be up around 25-30 titles, minimum. OTOH. if you are not familiar with it, I do suggest Peters/INQUISITION, which treats of all of them, not just the Spanish. And has some very good overall comments.

I conclude from the titles you do mention that you, like me, believe in reading around a topic, broadly.

I am going to get it. I was debating whether I needed to, but it keeps coming up. I reckon there’s a reason for that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm 
Adept
Adept

GKC I just bought a “very good” copy for $6.51 including tax and shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:08 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

GKC I just bought a “very good” copy for $6.51 including tax and shipping.

Way to go. Assuming you are speaking of the Netanyahu book, mine is the 2nd edition, 1384 pages. Dense as well as thick. Full disclosure: I never finished it completely. I coined the phrase that reading it was somewhat like a termite chewing through a concrete block specifically for this title. I gave up with the back matter mostly unread, roughly 400+ pages.

Kamen gave it a laudatory cover blurb.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:25 pm 
Adept
Adept

I suppose I should get Netanyahu as well. I was speaking of Peters’ book.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:39 pm 
Adept
Adept

Got Netanyahu for a smidge over $14. I have thought about getting Lea and Llorente. Llorente seems a fully unreliable character being the villain he was, and the fact he stole and destroyed many Inquisition documents to serve his Freemasonic agenda.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:19 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Got Netanyahu for a smidge over $14. I have thought about getting Lea and Llorente. Llorente seems a fully unreliable character being the villain he was, and the fact he stole and destroyed many Inquisition documents to serve his Freemasonic agenda.

You are a reader after my own heart. Be careful. This can lead to awkward piles of books, everywhere. I mean everywhere. I am a sad object lesson.

Lea is also a name that can cause fistfights among folk who discuss the SI. As I've said, I'm no expert in the field, no accumulator of piles of paper on the subject. But I have a found (in places) a general attitude that Lea was willing to reassess his positions, and was attempting a balanced approach. OTOH, there is the story that Arnold Lunn relates in his epistolary debate with G.G. Coulton, about Lea.

If you do go after after Lea, it seems you have primarily the choices of his trilogy A History of the Inquisition of the Middle Ages, and his tetralogy A History of the Inquisition of Spain. I have a 320 page book extracted from Vol 1 of the latter, and a copy of Vol 3 of the former. About my level of interest.

Again, I salute you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:46 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

I suppose I should get Netanyahu as well. I was speaking of Peters’ book.

As to Peters, he and Kamen are usually all I need on the subject. But you are approaching this as I do, in general.

Be careful. As I've said before: facilis descensus Averno.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:48 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
A book for those who have abandoned meetings:

Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...About Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business

Before I retired I kept a copy on my desk; sort of a garlic for meeting vampires. It worked pretty good!

"You seek me", St. Augustine comments, "for the flesh, not for the spirit. How many seek Jesus for no other purpose than that He may do them good in this present life! [...] Scarcely ever is Jesus sought for Jesus' sake" (In Ioann. Evang, 25, 10).

“therefore is my people led away captive, because they have not knowledge … therefore hath hell enlarged her mouth without any bounds” (Is 5:13-14).

But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. (Mt 24:13)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:30 pm 
Adept
Adept

GKC wrote:

You are a reader after my own heart. Be careful. This can lead to awkward piles of books, everywhere. I mean everywhere. I am a sad object lesson.

Lea is also a name that can cause fistfights among folk who discuss the SI. As I've said, I'm no expert in the field, no accumulator of piles of paper on the subject. But I have a found (in places) a general attitude that Lea was willing to reassess his positions, and was attempting a balanced approach. OTOH, there is the story that Arnold Lunn relates in his epistolary debate with G.G. Coulton, about Lea.

If you do go after after Lea, it seems you have primarily the choices of his trilogy A History of the Inquisition of the Middle Ages, and his tetralogy A History of the Inquisition of Spain. I have a 320 page book extracted from Vol 1 of the latter, and a copy of Vol 3 of the former. About my level of interest.

Again, I salute you.

Yes. My wife is begging me to buy a new bookshelf. But we are running out of spaces for bookshelves... Since I have now purchased these last two, Netanyahu and Peters, I will see. I did not intend to go so deep down the rabbit hole, I was really just trying to get a strong peripheral understanding of Spanish history and of my current favorite person in history, Isabel la Catolica, and being that so many times I get beat over the head about the Inquisition, it seemed I aught to be authoritatively informed. But, yes, how far does that need to go? As you know, a single book on a subject is like a piece of aluminum armor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:46 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

GKC wrote:

Again, I salute you.

Yes. My wife is begging me to buy a new bookshelf. But we are running out of spaces for bookshelves... Since I have now purchased these last two, Netanyahu and Peters, I will see. I did not intend to go so deep down the rabbit hole, I was really just trying to get a strong peripheral understanding of Spanish history and of my current favorite person in history, Isabel la Catolica, and being that so many times I get beat over the head about the Inquisition, it seemed I aught to be authoritatively informed. But, yes, how far does that need to go? As you know, a single book on a subject is like a piece of aluminum armor.

We are pretty much of a mind on this; good last sentence. Strong peripheral understanding/reading all around a subject. Books=good. But I long ago ran out of space for bookshelves/bookcases. All horizontal surfaces are double stacked, to max. My father designed and built this house, and was a book accumulator himself. But I've been a book fanatic for roughly 60 years. It shows. Note that I mentioned piles of books. The horizontal surfaces include much of the floor space, books stacked or boxed. Some long term board members might recall the days when I discussed building an add-on to the house, roughly 1000 sq. ft. for a man cave library; a 40 year dream. It was and is affordable. But not prudent. Hence the house is as it is, and will be. And hence the two rented storage spaces.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:20 am 
Adept
Adept

GKC wrote:
GKC wrote:

Again, I salute you.

We are pretty much of a mind on this; good last sentence. Strong peripheral understanding/reading all around a subject. Books=good. But I long ago ran out of space for bookshelves/bookcases. All horizontal surfaces are double stacked, to max. My father designed and built this house, and was a book accumulator himself. But I've been a book fanatic for roughly 60 years. It shows. Note that I mentioned piles of books. The horizontal surfaces include much of the floor space, books stacked or boxed. Some long term board members might recall the days when I discussed building an add-on to the house, roughly 1000 sq. ft. for a man cave library; a 40 year dream. It was and is affordable. But not prudent. Hence the house is as it is, and will be. And hence the two rented storage spaces.

I joke about it being an addiction... but it really isn’t a joke. It would not be an issue if I were wealthy, but I am not.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:22 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

GKC wrote:
GKC wrote:

Again, I salute you.

I joke about it being an addiction... but it really isn’t a joke. It would not be an issue if I were wealthy, but I am not.

Nope. Not a joke. A way of life.

I'm not wealthy either. Just focused.

16 free standing book cases.

And roughly 150 +/- linear feet of built-in bookshelves. Thanks, Dad.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next