Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "An Open Letter to Hans Küng"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:05 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
First Things resurrected this letter from 2010 from George Weigel to Hans Küng who passed just a few days ago as I write.

Post subject: Re: "An Open Letter to Hans Küng"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:02 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
St. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote:
First Things resurrected this letter from 2010 from George Weigel to Hans Küng who passed just a few days ago as I write.

He did? :?

I have to admit, I am flummoxed by Hans Kung. Most of his arguments are not just wrong, they are astonishingly bad and based on 'facts' that are completely wrong, One thing that he frequently did was base arguments on the etymology of words, except that his claims about the origins of those words were apparently from whole cloth, which anyone who actually knew the language in question, usually Greek or Latin, would know were completely bogus. It is like the old urban legend that the expression 'a rule of thumb' supposedly comes from a provision in British common law that a man couldn't beat his wife with a stick wider than his thumb. This is not only wrong, it is completely made up, it has always been against the law for a man to beat his wife, it was never legal. These are the kinds of arguments Kung made.

He often made theological errors so big that you wonder how he got a doctorate in theology.

So I have long wondered, was he a liar, was he stupid, or was he just a really, really bad theologian?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
The rule of thumb is that the first joint of a thumb is about an inch. Rough carpenters used it back in the day when people built "by rack of eye."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:53 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Vern Humphrey wrote:
The rule of thumb is that the first joint of a thumb is about an inch. Rough carpenters used it back in the day when people built "by rack of eye."

I don't think anyone really knows the origin of most common expressions. There are tons of theories, but the theories are based on nothing but a SWAG(scientific wild assed guess). This is true of most common expressions. I now just refuse to believe any purported explanation for the origin of common saying. The sole exception is if the expression originated as a quote from a book, movie or song.

For example, no one really knows the origin of 'the whole nine yards'. It seems like it would come from football, except, why nine yards, instead of 10?

Another good example is 'Hail Mary' for a desperate last second pass to win the game, and is increasingly used metaphorically to mean any, desperate, last minute move to turns things around The idea behind the expression is clear, it's called a 'Hail Mary' because while you do it you are praying that it works. But where did the expression originate? No one knows. Roger Staubach once jokingly claimed to have coined it, but this can't be true because it predates Staubach's football career by decades. Anyone claiming to know where it originated is simply mistaken.