Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 44 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Is minimum wage unjust?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:32 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
gherkin wrote:
Stargazer wrote:
I was attacked again by the Pikel.

"Attacked" = "The OP was asking about Catholic social teaching, though, not libertarian theorizing." :salut:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:34 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Stargazer wrote:
Zeno wrote:
"Liberal" as used here has a specific meaning and not what you willy-nilly decide it is. The pickle gave you a starting point. Maybe try learning a bit about it before you continue to belabor your misguided point.

My definition of liberal was somewhat tongue in cheek but I didnt want to get into 400 different definitons of liberal from each of the last 5 centuries.

I was simply stating to the OP that if you want to understand in real basic terms what is wrong with min wage laws Thomas Sowell is a good source, but then I was attacked again by the Pikel. The names I listed are solid anti-communists (conservatives), Commies (liberals).

So once you understand what is wrong with min wage laws then you can look at what the Church teaches. Just dont give me a headache with the def of liberal in 16th century.

Ok now you can lock the thread.

You may want to spend some time studying the Social Doctrine of the Church.

It is handily available as The Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church

https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pont ... oc_en.html

You can also order it bound in book form from any book retailer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:57 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
DominiCanis wrote:
I know people often associate this issue with left wing politics. But put aside political ideology for a moment.

According to Catholic social teaching, an employer must provide a just wage. A just wage is defined as, "one which under normal conditions at least sufficient to support an honorable and frugal worker. A certain amount of provision for old age and for the days of unemployment must also be reckoned" (Jone)

Do you think that today, minimum wage violates this principle? Presupposing that the employer can pay their employees a living wage, but they just don't want to.

I most certainly do believe most minimum wages violate the “living wage” requirement.

Let’s do some math: let’s say at age 50, my wife & I were employed minimum wage jobs. At 40 hrs/week, in Ohio, that’s approximately $550 net between us, weekly, 2200 monthly, 52,800 annually. That’s well below the poverty line & I don’t want anywhere near that. However, we know that if things got crazy we’d get by and even excel. Not easy by a long shot, but doable.

One thing I’ll add here. The Church expects ppl to be paid a fair days pay for a fair days work. You don’t work, sorry. I’d reckon you’ll work to get somewhere handing out food.
Best of luck to all min wage folks out there.

Can you buy all your needs on the 2022 equivalent of $80 twice/mo.? We did, even after first child. I knew we could get assistance. We chose to deal with it ourselves. All is well.

In any case, if you’re in a minimum wage job, go to trade school, college, watever. Minimum wage won’t get you through life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:26 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Smiddy wrote:
I most certainly do believe most minimum wages violate the “living wage” requirement.

There isn't a "living wage" requirement - there's a just wage requirement.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 44 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3