Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sacramental Presence & Tiny Particles...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
So my Archdiocese just mandated that everyone receive holy communion in the hand for the time being.

I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with it. The Church allows it in her law, so there can't be anything wrong with it in itself.

But I can't help but be anxious about it. Especially after watching this video.

So question... is Christ truly present in those tiny particles? I read somewhere that the real presence ceases once the sacramental sign ceases. Do those tiny particles still constitute the sacramental sign of bread, and therefore have Christ truly present under those accidents?

Otherwise, I don't know how I can receive holy communion in good conscience. Not unless I'm extra careful, closely examining my hands after communion, looking like some sort of weirdo.

Post subject: Re: Sacramental Presence & Tiny Particles...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:29 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I think a particle would still have to be recognizable as bread. For example, a crumb would still be recognizable as bread, while a particle so small that it's indistinguishable from dust would not be. But I could be wrong.

That said, if it were me I would try to appeal the """mandate""". A bishop has no authority to mandate that Holy Communion be received in the hand (and it's probably less sanitary than receiving on the tongue anyway).

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I agree on both points.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I agree, too. But there seems to be little one can do given the circumstances. I don't want to nag at the priest to give me communion on the tongue, even if I have that right to strictly by law. They all seem very insistent on it and it's not worth the trouble for me. If push comes to shove I rather just wait it out until they officially let us.

But with the particle thing... a part of me tends to think that a tiny fragment like that in the video doesn't constitute a sacramental sign. It looks like a white speck that could be anything from dandruff to a piece of dust particle sitting on my desk at the moment. But... the church's traditional rubrics seem to be very careful about not letting particles fall. Anywhere from the joining of the fingers, to the patten, to the washing of the hands, so that gives me pause.