Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: which Bible translation?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:47 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Sorry folks, the search function on this forum would not work for me, and I wasn't going to sort through all the pages here manually....

So, I wish to know which Bible translation would be closest to the original text, that is, which literal translation, not dynamic. I saw an article while looking for this answer at the catholic.com site, but it did not state which translations actually fit into that category that I could locate, hence my asking here.

I appreciate any input on this. The thing about it is, during the time I was a Protestant, I read their canon probably 20 times or more. I will have been a Catholic 6 years this Easter Vigil, and the only translation I've used for study vs reading is the Ignatius Study Bible, which I like, but is still NT only. I am a former engineer among other things, and am therefore predisposed to picking down to the last detail of things, so I wish to do that with a good Catholic Bible. Help?

Thx!

Smiddy

Post subject: Re: which Bible translation?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:28 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
I wonder if there is not a literal translation of English from the Latin Vulgate... I remember coming across something like that at Powell’s Bookstore in Portland, an old Vulgate and a new Vulgate, two different books. That was nearly 20 years, yeah, 20 years ago... they were very old books. I remember that they were expensive, beyond my means or I would have them now. I was a poor kid at the time!

I would suggest you search out your leads on http://www.bookfinder.com. I locate many rare and old books there is n both English and Spanish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:09 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
A "literal translation" is more or less not a possible thing. The act of moving from one language to another always carries changes in meaning.

Here's a chart showing some translations: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/182774.aspx

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:03 am 
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I’m listening to Ascension Press’ Bible in a Year podcast. Although they promote their corresponding RSV (2nd Catholic Edition) Bible, Fr. Mike Schmitz often quotes (I forget who, one of his seminary instructors, perhaps?) who says “The best Bible translation is the one you will read.”

Thoughts on that quote?

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:41 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It has much merit as long as the reader doesn't let a bad translation steer him away from the Faith.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
A "literal translation" is more or less not a possible thing. The act of moving from one language to another always carries changes in meaning.

Here's a chart showing some translations: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/182774.aspx

As stated, I got some info from another site, and on that site, which I believe reliable (catholic.com), it discussed translations as being either "literal" or "dynamic." Based upon that, I use the word "literal" for what I seek, that is, the closest thing to an actual literal translation from the oldest Vulgate or whatever manuscripts extant. If the Greek or whatever word order is preserved and seems confusing in English, I'm fine with that....

This is also one reason I've always sort of wanted to learn Latin. If I could read Latin, then perhaps I could locate some sort of old copy of a Vulgate within my means.

I understand your statement Obi, 100%, and will look at the link you kindly provided. Thank you for that :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:32 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
I’m listening to Ascension Press’ Bible in a Year podcast. Although they promote their corresponding RSV (2nd Catholic Edition) Bible, Fr. Mike Schmitz often quotes (I forget who, one of his seminary instructors, perhaps?) who says “The best Bible translation is the one you will read.”

Thoughts on that quote?

I very much like Ascension Press, have done 3 of their studies at our parish, and we bought copies of their latest study Bible. However, once I received it, it seemed to me to be intended more for folks who are, well not to be rude, but "novices" in the reading of Scripture, steering this way and that. And that is great for many, I have no issue with it, it simply was not what I really wanted in the end.

I'm currently reading in a Douay Rheims, and it is ok IMO, but it seems there is controversy surrounding it, so I'm looking for something older I think, or just different. Whichever, I wish to locate whatever translation there may be that is as literal as one may have. And given, as Obi says, that is more or less not possible because when you translate languages some meanings change.

Guess in the end, I simply want as old a Catholic Bible in English that I might find. Not sure which one that would be, or if it would be too expensive, but it is what I seek.

Thanks ya all

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:43 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

It would seem that my Douay-Rheims is possibly the closest to what I wanted, thank God I just acquired one last week....
This judgement is based upon the chart linked by Obi-Wan.

Now, because of the commentary in it, I will keep using my Ignatius Study Bible for Study. But now I feel comfortable that I should read through the DR one time at least. I do honestly find the way it reads interesting, though not nearly as plain as most. But, I could care less about plain.
It also seems that I may have settled on the Ignatius Study Bible commentary as my favored NT commentary. Am hoping that translation with OT+NT is available soon, unless it already is and I missed the release?

Peace be unto you all,

Smiddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:41 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Have you looked into the Haydock Douay-Rheims? I like the commentary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:43 pm 

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
“The best Bible translation is the one you will read.”

Thoughts on that quote?

First time I came across that quote, it was attributed to Rev. Billy Graham. I've seen it attributed to others as well. May be one of those quotes that's been around so long, nobody really remembers who first said it.

On the sentiment itself, while it's a good quote, I prefer to use several translations. While it's only the NT, I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Compara ... 019528299X

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:22 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Zeno wrote:
Have you looked into the Haydock Douay-Rheims? I like the commentary.

Not just yet, but since you mention it, I will.

Also, in re: to the CCNT, that looks like a very good option. I've actually read most of the translations it contains but not all...and do have experience with "parallel" Bibles from when I was a Protestant considering/discerning being a UM minister....

I have thought about this for a long time, and today I have determined it to be in my best interests, at least for peace of mind, to learn Latin and find a Latin translation, or perhaps the reverse of that - find Latin translation, learn Latin...I love language study, etymology etc, and have plenty of time since neither my wife or I work any longer (I'm disabled, she is quite close to it), yet I'm 51 and still have PLENTY of energy. Approx. 7 weeks ago, we started a whole home remodel, doing all the work ourselves, and we stay busy with that, her finding replacement furniture, etc., yet I am able to spend 1-3 hours/day on Scripture or religious readings. Methinks I can work Latin into our schedule very easily bc we have none is the point, and I'm confident of my aptitude, not to be prideful or brag, simply stating fact.

At any rate, ya all have given me some good links and I've looked at this topic as thoroughly as one can in a day....no decision on a specific English translation just yet, but would lean towards CCNT, for NT, and presume the OT translations similar to that may be in Hebrew, a language I once began to learn then too busy and stopped. FTR, a local synagogue teaches paid lessons in that. Handy. I had done a study on Jeremiah with their whattya call the preacher in a Jewish church....oh, Rabbi as leader, and it was quite good. It was a lady and she was patient with my Protestant questions too. Very nice folks and facility.

Again, thanks so very much for your input folks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:53 pm 

Smiddy wrote:
I have thought about this for a long time, and today I have determined it to be in my best interests, at least for peace of mind, to learn Latin and find a Latin translation, or perhaps the reverse of that - find Latin translation, learn Latin...

While it's not a word for word translation, the Navarre Bible has both the RSV and Latin underneath it: https://scepterpublishers.org/collectio ... rre-bibles

They began by publishing each individual book, then published the NT. Then they went back and started publishing the individual books of the OT.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:36 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Ok, I bought and am in II Sam of:
The New Jerusalem Bible, Study Edition

The front pages state its translated from Greej, Hebrew +Aramaic.
I figure that for the time being,this one will more than sate my desire to check out a more "towards the original texts" translation.

Am working at learning Latin, slowly....and now have a valid reason. That is, when there's an encyclical or watever published, it's still in Latin. So, when I learn the language, I'll be able to read those in original form.

There's clearly a theme here -I like original stuff :)

Thx again for all the input!

Ya all take care,