Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Dodgy Rosaries"?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Any of the priest on the board have any input? I saw this circulating from a few Catholic friends on Facebook today.

http://en.gloria.tv/?media=432164

Post subject: Re: "Dodgy Rosaries"?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:58 pm 
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Puh-leeze. :roll: I see them all the time. They are inmate rosaries--the only ones considered safe enough for use in prisons. They are inexpensive, so of no monetary value. They are plastic, not metal--another safety consideration. The string is break-away--not strong enough to cut or choke. They bring much comfort and grace to our brothers and sisters who are incarcerated.

That's not to say, however, that they can't be perverted. I've seen that happen. The local parish and Legion of Mary visit the facility twice a week: Rosary service on Wednesday evenings and Mass on Saturday morning. The volunteers used to give the rosaries themselves until we discovered that they were being hoarded. One Sunday, I was called into a dorm on my Unit by an officer who had found 2 quart Ziploc bags (contraband) stuffed with these plastic rosaries (our detainees are authorized one each). Turned out that the detainee had strong-armed other detainees into requesting a rosary every time the volunteers came, and would hand them over to her. She was shipping them back to her impoverished and war-torn home country for her family to sell at an outrageous profit.

After that incident, we changed policy. The volunteers now give the rosaries to the Chaplain, and he distributes them himself.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:03 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
A Few things,

a) Pentagons are not the same as pentagrams

b) How do we know that line above the cross is not the INRI sign? Also many crucifixes lack that sign altogether.

c) A serpent on a stick is also a symbol for Christ

d) It is common to put symbols of the devil or death at the foot of the cross (while less common to do it at other ends I don't see a problem) this represents the victory of the cross over death and sin.

e)Yes New Agers abuse Catholic stuff, the abuse Buddhist stuff too. Satanists using rosaries doesn't make the rosaries wicked, just like their use of the inverted cross doesn't mean it's not a symbol of martyrdom

f) The inverted crucifix "rosary" is not a rosary at all, it lacks the proper beads

g) What proof do you have that a secret organization has anything to do with it?

h) Who are these priests/exorcists, and also who was the seer?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:24 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I do not claim any of this to be true. I was just curious as I saw several people who were concerned.

The video looked fishy to me, anyhow.

I appreciate the explainations!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:18 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
ForeverFaithful wrote:

Ummm what?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

Looking for Lego? Try Faber Family Bricks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:47 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Pentagons are not the same as pentagrams

There is nothing wrong with a pentagram

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:54 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Bagheera wrote:
ForeverFaithful wrote:

Ummm what?

John 3:
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him, may not perish; but may have life everlasting

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 am 
Requiescat in pace
Requiescat in pace

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
ghall512 wrote:
Puh-leeze. :roll: I see them all the time. They are inmate rosaries--the only ones considered safe enough for use in prisons. They are inexpensive, so of no monetary value. They are plastic, not metal--another safety consideration. The string is break-away--not strong enough to cut or choke. They bring much comfort and grace to our brothers and sisters who are incarcerated.

That's not to say, however, that they can't be perverted. I've seen that happen. The local parish and Legion of Mary visit the facility twice a week: Rosary service on Wednesday evenings and Mass on Saturday morning. The volunteers used to give the rosaries themselves until we discovered that they were being hoarded. One Sunday, I was called into a dorm on my Unit by an officer who had found 2 quart Ziploc bags (contraband) stuffed with these plastic rosaries (our detainees are authorized one each). Turned out that the detainee had strong-armed other detainees into requesting a rosary every time the volunteers came, and would hand them over to her. She was shipping them back to her impoverished and war-torn home country for her family to sell at an outrageous profit.

After that incident, we changed policy. The volunteers now give the rosaries to the Chaplain, and he distributes them himself.

Of course, one does not need rosary beads to pray the rosary. In WWII, a picture of rosary beads was on the back cover of the Catholic military pocket missal and that sufficed for many.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:51 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
A Catholic priest was asked if dodgy rosaries belong to the New Age:

http://www.drgareth.info/na_rosary.html

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Desertfalcon wrote:
Of course, one does not need rosary beads to pray the rosary. In WWII, a picture of rosary beads was on the back cover of the Catholic military pocket missal and that sufficed for many.

The back of my Bible also has a rosary embossed on the back--like this one:

And you're absolutely right about not needing beads to pray the rosary. I've used my fingers: tuck down a finger for each mystery, and press the tips of my fingers for each Hail Mary. I prefer the feel of the beads on my hand, but not having them available has yet to stop me. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap: