Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What do you say to someone who wishes you a Happy Pride?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:24 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
You aren't listening. Sorry.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:20 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Jack3 wrote:
Zeno wrote:
And which do you think our culture is celebrating?

To attack them for pride is more of a "rhetorical/gotcha/own" thing. The real issue is sex and sexuality.

Whether the kind of pride that the culture celebrates is good or bad depends on whether homosexuality is a normal and morally acceptable thing. People who disagree on the latter talk past each other on the former.

It might be easier to hear you if this were put more clearly. It sounds like you're saying it's good/normal to be proud of your 'sexuality' just as long as your 'sexuality' is normal and morally acceptable. And it would be bad to be proud of your 'sexuality' just as long as your 'sexuality' isn't good or normal. But in what world is a normal person proud (in any sense) of his 'sexuality'? I've been straight my whole life, and I can tell you with all sincerity that it has never once entered my mind to be proud of the fact. It's sort of like being proud of the fact that I have two legs, isn't it? Maybe you mean something else, but you must admit that your post is rather difficult to parse.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Jack3:

Our loving Lord allows everyone to have various kinds of challenges.

We can grow spiritually by dealing with them with His Sacraments and Teachings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:46 am 
Citizen
Citizen

What Gherkin said is as concise a response as I've ever read on this idiotic topic anywhere. I don't mean idiotic as in "Why did you start this thread?" but idiotic as in it's plain as the nose on your face. Why be proud of something natural, unless you're really asserting pride, like Satan, that you are rejecting God?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:17 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Jack3 wrote:
Zeno wrote:

To attack them for pride is more of a "rhetorical/gotcha/own" thing. The real issue is sex and sexuality.

Whether the kind of pride that the culture celebrates is good or bad depends on whether homosexuality is a normal and morally acceptable thing. People who disagree on the latter talk past each other on the former.

You are smarter than this. I’ve read many of your posts.

You know that morality is objective and determined by God, and it is not contingent on what the majority or any given culture thinks. That way of thinking falls under the democratic fallacy.

Gherkin parsed well and answered the rest of your thought process.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:41 am 
Master
Master

Jack3 wrote:
Zeno wrote:

Most events that have the good sort of pride, usually don't have to use the word pride.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:21 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Just say sorry Im not a Democrat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

The way to defeat the game is just simply not to participate in it.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:33 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

gherkin wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Zeno wrote:

It might be easier to hear you if this were put more clearly. It sounds like you're saying it's good/normal to be proud of your 'sexuality' just as long as your 'sexuality' is normal and morally acceptable. And it would be bad to be proud of your 'sexuality' just as long as your 'sexuality' isn't good or normal.

But in what world is a normal person proud (in any sense) of his 'sexuality'? I've been straight my whole life, and I can tell you with all sincerity that it has never once entered my mind to be proud of the fact. It's sort of like being proud of the fact that I have two legs, isn't it? Maybe you mean something else, but you must admit that your post is rather difficult to parse.

To be proud of one's sexuality serves to counteract social shaming against it. It's something of a natural response I guess. Eg some people who become more flamboyant in their Christianity as it becomes less fashionable.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:04 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
gherkin wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Zeno wrote:

It might be easier to hear you if this were put more clearly. It sounds like you're saying it's good/normal to be proud of your 'sexuality' just as long as your 'sexuality' is normal and morally acceptable. And it would be bad to be proud of your 'sexuality' just as long as your 'sexuality' isn't good or normal.

But in what world is a normal person proud (in any sense) of his 'sexuality'? I've been straight my whole life, and I can tell you with all sincerity that it has never once entered my mind to be proud of the fact. It's sort of like being proud of the fact that I have two legs, isn't it? Maybe you mean something else, but you must admit that your post is rather difficult to parse.

To be proud of one's sexuality serves to counteract social shaming against it. It's something of a natural response I guess. Eg some people who become more flamboyant in their Christianity as it becomes less fashionable.
?
So you're saying there is nothing wrong with celebrating 'Pride Month l'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

No

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:34 pm 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Jack3 wrote:

A. Flamboyant =/= proud.
B. Christianity is indeed unfashionable, but gayness isn't. Yes, there are places where you're likely to be discriminated against for being flamboyantly gay. (I mean, in the world I know. I'm not talking about Muslim countries where you can be executed for it and suchlike.) But in general, there is no social shaming against homosexuality. There is, of course, massive social shaming against those who are not fully in the gay=great! camp.
C. I agree that acting like a hyper sexualized child is in one sense natural. It's natural in the sense that virtue isn't natural because it's not easy, but vice is. Have you ever seen what people do and how they act at gay pride events?
D. You haven't actually answered the point I made, which is that if gayness is a natural part of what some people are, then it makes no sense to be 'proud' of it, and more than it makes sense to be proud of having ribs or toes.
E. What you're saying is appears to be that they're not proud of being gay as such, but rather rubbing our noses in it. That's not an improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:30 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
No

So then you are in the 'homosexuality is a beautiful thing and everyone should be forced to praise and celebrate it' camp?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:12 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

gherkin wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

A. Flamboyant =/= proud.
B. Christianity is indeed unfashionable, but gayness isn't. Yes, there are places where you're likely to be discriminated against for being flamboyantly gay. (I mean, in the world I know. I'm not talking about Muslim countries where you can be executed for it and suchlike.) But in general, there is no social shaming against homosexuality. There is, of course, massive social shaming against those who are not fully in the gay=great! camp.
C. I agree that acting like a hyper sexualized child is in one sense natural. It's natural in the sense that virtue isn't natural because it's not easy, but vice is. Have you ever seen what people do and how they act at gay pride events?
D. You haven't actually answered the point I made, which is that if gayness is a natural part of what some people are, then it makes no sense to be 'proud' of it, and more than it makes sense to be proud of having ribs or toes.
E. What you're saying is appears to be that they're not proud of being gay as such, but rather rubbing our noses in it. That's not an improvement.

I'll have to think further

Doom wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
No

So then you are in the 'homosexuality is a beautiful thing and everyone should be forced to praise and celebrate it' camp?
No

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2