Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 17 of 17   [ 333 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: Is hell the natural fate of man?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:15 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I take it back. Here's a link from a source you'll probably like: https://afkimel.wordpress.com/2019/11/1 ... ophatic-2/

Note that he says that DBH rejects theistic personalism by name, so there are probably angles I need to explore, but it won't hurt to tighten up your thinking a bit.

Well, thank you! I shall most certainly give this a read. I am Internet friends with Fr. Aidan.

Do you read any of his blog stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:01 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Light of the East wrote:
You're sick!

???

Do you think non-existence is a good? How can that be, if God is Existence ("I AM WHO AM")?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Peregrinator wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
You're sick!

???

Do you think non-existence is a good? How can that be, if God is Existence ("I AM WHO AM")?

That's not what I said or inferred.

How can anyone think that an existence in never-ending torment is better than to have never been created?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Because he is making a logically necessary claim. To exist in hell is at least to exist, and existence is good. To not exist is to have no good whatsoever. I don't know what "better" means, exactly, but it's probably more tightly something like, "To exist in hell in good in some minimal measure; to not exist means, necessarily, to have no measure of good."

You,LotE, seem to be assuming that a certain level of badness would render non-existence better than existence. But that seems literally self-contradictory. That would mean that the goodness of existence, if had in this amount, is literally bad, insofar as having it in a small amount rather than a greater amount means that having it is actually an evil. But evil is just a lack of good. You are implying that good just is evil. How can you say such a thing?!?

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:06 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
theJack wrote:
Because he is making a logically necessary claim. To exist in hell is at least to exist, and existence is good. To not exist is to have no good whatsoever.

A person who doesn't exist doesn't exist! Such a person cannot feel pain, despair, or anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:00 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I can't tell whether you're agreeing with him or arguing with him.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

The point is, arguing about non-existence is nonsense. A non-existent person cannot be better or worse off -- because he doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Which my comment recognized and took into account. So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? :?

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 pm 
Adept
Adept

Vern Humphrey wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

The point is, arguing about non-existence is nonsense. A non-existent person cannot be better or worse off -- because he doesn't exist.

:scratch:

If God is pure existence (which He is), and God it wholly good (which He is), then it follows that existence is good.

Since “good” means lacking nothing, it follows that non-existence isn’t good because you are lacking existing.

Therefore, it is better to exist than not exist.

What you are arguing is whether eternal suffering is better than non-existence.

But to suffer means you must exist.

Therefore, existence (which is good), even suffering existence, is better than non-suffering, non-existence (which is lacking good).

Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:45 pm 
Adept
Adept

I would add that the existence of a good, in hell, primarily the good of existence, rattles my brain. Since hell is the absence of good, it seems either a soul’s existence in hell demonstrates, even there, God’s mercy or, something else is going on that I don’t understand.

From my point of view total destruction makes more sense....but we know that isn’t the case, since hell isn’t empty. Therefore, it must be God’s mercy....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Is Hell the absence of good?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:48 am 
Adept
Adept

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Is Hell the absence of good?

You know, at first blush I thought I knew the answer. As I give it more thought, I'm not so sure now....

Justice is good. So from that point of view, hell is full of good; God's justice is on display and being executed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Peregrinator wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
Aion means age. Period. There is no other possible translation for this word, therefore, any derivitive of it must have to do with an age - NOT eternity! But more than that, even the revered Septuagint supports the fact that aionios in no way means "eternal."

The same word is used in reference to salvation and even to describe God Himself (Romans 16:26). Is salvation not eternal? Is God not eternal? You see where DBH's adventures in translation lead!
Exactly. It's curious that the people editing Greek lexicons haven't been told these groundbreaking news.

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

https://twitter.com/kkringlebotten

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 17 of 17   [ 333 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17