Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Should Catholicism make you feel bad?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:38 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Catholic
Light of the East wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
A standard secular caricature of religion.

Guess you have never been a Fundamentalist, eh Father? 45 minutes of preaching telling you how rotten you are and how rotten the world is and how rotten every other denomination but yours is -- then an "Altar Call" to "get right with Jaaaaaaazuzu!"

Guilt on steroids.

Some guilt at the altar call, but none in the least afterwards.

I’m going to say something that will sound very snarky. However, it’s pretty much the truth....

I never worried once about going to hell when I was a Protestant. All I had to do was love Jesus and believe he is the savior. I was sorry for my sins, but not in a way that brought about any life changes. And why should I? All sins were equal and besides, I was going to Heaven anyway.

Now, compare that to the current state after I have become Catholic. I hate my sin. Hate it. I feel terrible quite often and hate that I have offended Jesus. I fear offending God and don’t look forward to my judgement, but I do trust in His mercy and have the hope of Heaven.

This is a greatly simplified view of things for me and I know, is imperfect compared to Church teaching. But it is what it is for me today.

So, do I have guitar as a Catholic? Heck yes.

Did I have guilt as a Protestant? Very little. And nothing that was long-lasting.

Am I happy now as a Catholic, with all the guilt, as compared to when I was a Protestant?

Infinitely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Vern Humphrey wrote:
Training is my business and I have two advanced degrees.

There are three realms of human learning:

Cognitive, which is thinking, math, language -- "book learning."

Psycho-Motor -- throwing a ball, riding a bicycle, etc.

Affective -- values and attitudes.

No one would claim you can use a cognitive strategy to tech a psychomotor skill -- you can't become a champion pitcher just by reading a book. And you can't teach a cognitive skill with a psychomotor strategy -- you can't learn calculus by shooting hoops.

So no one should be surprised that you can't use a cognitive strategy to achieve an affective objective. You have to use an affective strategy -- status, pride, shame and so on. If you want better behavior from people, you should arrange things so they feel pride when they do right and shame when they do wrong. The Church has known this for millennia.

I had to learn it from Bloom.

It was a keystone in areas of endeavor I performed during my military career. And happy to see the old friends again.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:35 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:
you can't become a champion pitcher just by reading a book.
Great. Now you tell me.

Books can't do everything.

And the sea rises higher."

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2