Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What Isn't "Pious Nonsense"?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:44 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Pope Francis (according to Fr. James Martin) once claimed that proselytizing to convert others is "pious nonsense".

The liturgies that seem to be the accepted ones appear more and more like the silly, saccharine ones from my youth. The ones that lead most from my age group (as well as alittle before and a little after) out of the Church entirely. From my school (which was Catholic "Roncalli High School") I can count one two hands those whom I know still practice the faith.

We'd have silly masses at high school. A Christian brother, who also did work as a clown, came out as a "sad clown" while dragging the cross up to the alter. Dressed up as a boozy, depressed clown (with sad clown face make up) while carrying a cross over his shoulder. I'm sure in his terribly misguided mind he believe that this would really reach the students. All it did was lead to chuckles amongst the lot of us. A friend close to me memorably said, "It would be funny if the cops came charging into the gym to arrest him." The gym being where we had our high school mass.

The Catholicism that I was given growing up was little more than sad attempts of older women trying to show us what they thought was hip. It was nothing of the sort. The priests and Christian brothers were some of the most effeminate male figures I had ever come across.

Like many others of my age I drifted away from the Church. Not with scorn but with bemused indifference.

Then I met a priest (2015) who was pivotal to my coming back in to the Church in a much more devoted manner. Around 2003 I started flirting with it... Faith gave me something to hold on to in the wake of my mother's death.
But he played a large role in my taking it much more serious. I started to receive Communion on the tongue. I stopped skipping Sundays. I regularly went to Confession. He explained the importance various elements of the mass.... none of which were expressed at our parish, but he tried to implement some change.

Now, with this acrimony directed at "traditionalism" he seems to have changed very much. I remember him once telling me the importance of not having extraordinary ministers. Now his words to me were "the changes are really a nothing burger".
He once thought it would be good for me to attend a Traditional Mass to which now he strongly advises against it. He told me that he feels traditionalists are "divisive".
Women in positions historically held by men... not really that important.

It makes me wonder what isn't just "pious nonsense". Why even receive Communion on the tongue? I'm one of the 6 in my parish that even does so. Just more "pious nonsense"?

It's a very grim time for my faith.

Post subject: Re: What Isn't "Pious Nonsense"?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

There is The Faith, which man cannot harm, no matter how he tries. No supposed pope, no priest...nobody.

And then there is your faith, which is God's work in you. Although it's not your work, you can turn your back on it. Don't do that, no matter what others may do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
gherkin wrote:

There is The Faith, which man cannot harm, no matter how he tries. No supposed pope, no priest...nobody.

And then there is your faith, which is God's work in you. Although it's not your work, you can turn your back on it. Don't do that, no matter what others may do.

Simply quoting because this needs to be said again. And often. And to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:46 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
kage_ar wrote:
gherkin wrote:

Simply quoting because this needs to be said again. And often. And to me.

I am a Catholic, and I have taken my oath to the faith, and that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thanks everyone.

The next day also helped me see the pride in my initial post.