Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magi and astrology
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Stargazing can't tell us what's happening here but it led the Magi to Jesus. How does that square?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: Magi and astrology
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:20 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Haven't you asked that before?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
I thought so, but I searched and couldn't find it.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:33 am 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
Not my area of expertise at all, but I think one of the biggest differences between the sin of astrology and regarding the heavens as being part of the way in which God communicates with us is where the power of control lies. An astrologist would have a sort of superstition that the heavens are exerting some power or fate upon us, so reading the heavens is reading the future in a causal sense. Whereas someone looking to the heavens as being a construct of God who seeks to communicate to us by designing the universe in such a way that foretold signs and wonders would be accompanied by other natural signs and wonders isn't approaching it in any causal way where the natural signs and wonders are exerting control over us.

This may be subtle difference, balanced on a knife's edge, but I do think it is an important one. It cannot be denied that God said there would be natural signs accompanying great events. So, looking for them cannot be the sin of astrology. But, I can see how looking for them improperly could lead one to that sin.

FJ