Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Praying to the saints
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:10 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
Do Catholics pray to the saints? If so where can I learn which saints to pray to and how to pray to them? Does anyone have any good web sites with information about the saints and prayers etc?

Post subject: Re: Praying to the saints
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:46 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
We pray with the Saints. They're just far better at prayer than we are (since they see Christ face-to-face), so we ask for their help. In this sense, you could say that we are praying to but only in the sense that we are asking them to pray for us, just as you would ask someone else to pray for you.

Quote:
First a definition: "To pray," as a verb, has two very distinct meanings:

1 : to make a request in a humble manner
2 : to address God or a God with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving
It is only in this first sense that Catholics "pray" to saints. "To pray" is simply to ask, and it is a common English word as these examples will show: "Comes now Petitioner and, having filed his Motion in Limine, prays this Honorable Court to grant..." or "I pray thee, sir, might I borrow your book?". In the first instance, the Petitioner is not worshipping the Court. In the second, the potential book-borrower is not worshipping the book owner. And if I ever ask you, "Where have you been, pray tell?" I am not worshipping you, trust me!

All worship in the sense of latria is God's alone. All grace comes from God alone. Only Christ can save us. Please read these three sentences again; they are core Catholic doctrine as taught for 2,000 years.

OK, so why pray to saints? We pray to saints to ask them to pray for us, in the same way you might pray for me if I ask and I would pray for you if you ask. Christians are called to pray for each other: James 5:16 "Pray one for another... The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

I emboldened parts above so as not to get confused between prayer to/with saints and Prayer to Christ.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:33 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
I don't have any web site to recommend, but I have found this book helpful: Catholic Pocket Prayer Book. Jacquelyn Lindsey, editor. Published by Our Sunday Visitor.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:39 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
A saint is a good friend who can really inspire us. I have several favorites whose personalities and gifts do just that. We are family, even though they are already seeing the Lord face to face in His Kingdom. :cloud9:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:16 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
I see. So it sounds like we ask the saints to pray for us. We ask our Lady of Perpetual Help to pray for us and the other saints have different areas they help with. I can pray to St Agnes or St Maria First to for healing from sexual assault.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:07 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Best on-line reference for info about various saints is http://saints.sqpn.com (there are some sketchy websites out there, this one is ROCK SOLID),

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:15 pm 

Religion: catholic
Kellygirl12 wrote:
Do Catholics pray to the saints? If so where can I learn which saints to pray to and how to pray to them? Does anyone have any good web sites with information about the saints and prayers etc?

Yeah we pray to the saints. Theyre in heaven and are with Jesus. They watch over us like guardian angels.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:55 am 
There Can Be Only One

Nathan M. wrote:
We pray with the Saints. They're just far better at prayer than we are (since they see Christ face-to-face), so we ask for their help. In this sense, you could say that we are praying to but only in the sense that we are asking them to pray for us, just as you would ask someone else to pray for you.

Quote:
First a definition: "To pray," as a verb, has two very distinct meanings:

1 : to make a request in a humble manner
2 : to address God or a God with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving
It is only in this first sense that Catholics "pray" to saints. "To pray" is simply to ask, and it is a common English word as these examples will show: "Comes now Petitioner and, having filed his Motion in Limine, prays this Honorable Court to grant..." or "I pray thee, sir, might I borrow your book?". In the first instance, the Petitioner is not worshipping the Court. In the second, the potential book-borrower is not worshipping the book owner. And if I ever ask you, "Where have you been, pray tell?" I am not worshipping you, trust me!

All worship in the sense of latria is God's alone. All grace comes from God alone. Only Christ can save us. Please read these three sentences again; they are core Catholic doctrine as taught for 2,000 years.

OK, so why pray to saints? We pray to saints to ask them to pray for us, in the same way you might pray for me if I ask and I would pray for you if you ask. Christians are called to pray for each other: James 5:16 "Pray one for another... The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

I emboldened parts above so as not to get confused between prayer to/with saints and Prayer to Christ.
Very well put.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!