Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Stain of Sin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:30 pm 
Grand Wazooship Champion

Religion: Orthodox Church in America
I have encountered this phrase in discussions online and was told that the stain of sin is one of the reasons that the Immaculate Conception must be true.

Would someone here kindly explain (as fully as possible) what is meant by this term, and especially how it works in a human being?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: The Stain of Sin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
This should help.

CCC
405 Although it is proper to each individual,295 original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam's descendants. It is a deprivation of original holiness and justice, but human nature has not been totally corrupted: it is wounded in the natural powers proper to it, subject to ignorance, suffering and the dominion of death, and inclined to sin - an inclination to evil that is called concupiscence".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:12 pm 
Grand Wazooship Champion

Dominic wrote:
This should help.

CCC
405 Although it is proper to each individual,295 original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam's descendants. It is a deprivation of original holiness and justice, but human nature has not been totally corrupted: it is wounded in the natural powers proper to it, subject to ignorance, suffering and the dominion of death, and inclined to sin - an inclination to evil that is called concupiscence".

Is that the Catholic definition of the stain of sin? It doesn't look like it. It looks more like it is defining "Original Sin."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:02 pm 
Master
Master

From Catholic Answers:

God who is the first rule of all morality. (See Grace.) Sanctifying grace therefore enters into the moral order, not as an act that passes but as a permanent tendency which exists even when the subject who possesses it does not act; it is a turning towards God, conversio ad Deum. Consequently the privation of this grace, even without any other act, would be a stain, a moral deformity, a turning away from God, aversio a Deo, and this character is not found in any other effect of the fault of Adam. This privation, therefore, is the hereditary stain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:27 pm 
Master
Master

@Light of the East - Were you Byzantine Catholic before?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:51 pm 
Grand Wazooship Champion

Dominic wrote:

Yes. I got tired of trying to be "Orthodox in Communion with Rome" when such a thing is impossible. I finally had the door open for me to convert to Orthodoxy this year. There is no such thing as "Orthodox in Communion with Rome." The majority of people I met in the BCC were more like "Roman Catholic Lite." The BCC has lost its way and its identity, and I see that very clearly from being in an Orthodox parish where there is actual Orthodox worship and praxis.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:29 am 
Master
Master

Light of the East wrote:
Dominic wrote:

Yes. I got tired of trying to be "Orthodox in Communion with Rome" when such a thing is impossible. I finally had the door open for me to convert to Orthodoxy this year. There is no such thing as "Orthodox in Communion with Rome." The majority of people I met in the BCC were more like "Roman Catholic Lite." The BCC has lost its way and its identity, and I see that very clearly from being in an Orthodox parish where there is actual Orthodox worship and praxis.

I do somewhat understand that. The biggest move I did was to come into the RC, but I've changed liturgical uses this year to the Ordinariate. Not exactly the same as your situation since your situation is likely tied to doctrinal differences and much more rooted praxis. I nonetheless feel the difference in many ways that even your everyday RC may not. I'm used to attending Spanish Masses with all of their cultural elements. The theological expressions are slightly different as well. So the feeling of change was magnified because of all these factors. I dove into EO years ago but it was diffused by similar turmoil you see in the RC traditionalists communities. Toward the tail end, I was left with all the different arguments presented by both sides. My truth-o-meter toward the EO was definitely elevated, but I'm obviously still RC.

BTW, did I answer the question you had?