Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Leaving the Church
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:24 pm 

Religion: Catholic
My daughter and my son-in-law decided to leave the Catholic Church. They have never doubted before. A struggle with the teaching on homosexuality is at the root of their decision.
Since then, they have listened to many debates about the truth regarding the Bible, the existence of God, the truth about Jesus, and they are finding too many contradictions to place their faith in the Catholic Church. Can someone help me guide them and to help them realize they are making a huge mistake. I am grieving this decision and am very concerned for the Salvation of their children. Thank you and God bless you. Please pray for me and my family.

Post subject: Re: Leaving the Church
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:31 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Welcome! I have moved your thread to a forum more likely to get the attention of people who can help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:08 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

I don't have any answers but will throw out a couple of ideas.

Adult children are hard. I have some issues within my own family so I have a sense of the pain involved. Definitely it is good to know your faith and be able to offer the Church's explanations if they ask, but it's not likely to be successful if they aren't seeking to listen. People cannot be argued into faith. They need an open heart touched by God to be converted first.

Pray. Pray. Pray. St. Monica is a good model here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:59 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Myself and many other parents are having the same problem. Just keep praying for them and loving them.

I truly believe that God will act in dramatic ways in the near future; and that will help many to make right decisions.

Pray much! Many rosaries will help.

P.S. With regard to the Church's teachings on homosexuality......All of us have challenges in this life. We need prayer and the sacraments to get through them. That is how we grow spiritually. Many forget this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:24 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
Marhaba wrote:
My daughter and my son-in-law decided to leave the Catholic Church. They have never doubted before. A struggle with the teaching on homosexuality is at the root of their decision.
Since then, they have listened to many debates about the truth regarding the Bible, the existence of God, the truth about Jesus, and they are finding too many contradictions to place their faith in the Catholic Church. Can someone help me guide them and to help them realize they are making a huge mistake. I am grieving this decision and am very concerned for the Salvation of their children. Thank you and God bless you. Please pray for me and my family.

My first step would be to list the contradictions and the sources. Then address contradictions one by one, and show the sources are suspect.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:12 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
The best thing for you to do, don't to debate them. You need to be loving and full of peace and joy. Let them know by your actions that you love them no matter what and that every visit/call is not going to turn into a big theological discussion or with your voicing concern that they are going to hell and dragging your grandkids along.

Your joy and peace and love give witness to your faith. Allow them to be astounded by your peace, be the sort of grandma that those grandkids want to stay with you just so they can go to Mass because it is such a beautiful thing and they want to be just like granny!

Keep praying, lighting candles, have Masses said for them at missions. If they bring up a topic, say "mmmm, maybe you could find something about that on strangenotions.com (best site I know of for rational reasons to believe).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:12 pm 
Adept
Adept

kage_ar wrote:
The best thing for you to do, don't to debate them. You need to be loving and full of peace and joy. Let them know by your actions that you love them no matter what and that every visit/call is not going to turn into a big theological discussion or with your voicing concern that they are going to hell and dragging your grandkids along.

Your joy and peace and love give witness to your faith. Allow them to be astounded by your peace, be the sort of grandma that those grandkids want to stay with you just so they can go to Mass because it is such a beautiful thing and they want to be just like granny!

Keep praying, lighting candles, have Masses said for them at missions. If they bring up a topic, say "mmmm, maybe you could find something about that on strangenotions.com (best site I know of for rational reasons to believe).

Kage is spot on.

No intellectual discussion can solve an emotional response.

Pray, pray, and pray.

We’re at the same place with our older children.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:56 pm 

Religion: Christian (non-denominational)
Are they abandoning the Catholic Church or Christianity altogether?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:44 pm 
Adept
Adept

DogDude wrote:
Are they abandoning the Catholic Church or Christianity altogether?

As with most youth today, its both.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:45 pm 
There Can Be Only One

IMHO, lead by example. Continue to practice the faith, without regard to their decisions. There is a decent chance that they will return ... sometime in the future.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!