Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2021 Church Synod
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:48 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Catholic
What’s it for?

Our priest read a letter from our Bishop about its opening, and I’ve read an article about it which said the same things (e.g., “a synodal way). But for the life of me, what’s the purpose of the synod?

Not being snarky, I have no idea.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 2021 Church Synod
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:54 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
To change the Church

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:23 pm 
Adept
Adept

Change what and why?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:13 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Make it less rigid? More synods, more accompaniment?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
On Oct. 10, 2021, Pope Francis formally opened a two-year process called “a synod on synodality,” officially known as “Synod 2021-2023: For a Synodal Church.” In brief, the process involves an expansion of an established institution, called the “Synod of Bishops.” This means that bishops around the world will consult with everyone from parishioners to monks, nuns and Catholic universities before coming together for a discussion in 2023.

The topic? How the church can learn to rely more fully on this kind of consultation-and-discussion process – how it can become more “synodal” in its governance.

Throughout the centuries, the Roman Catholic Church has held many gatherings called “synods” – but seldom one this sweeping in its potential consequences.

As a Catholic priest who studies theology, with particular interest in the role of lay persons and of local communities in the worldwide Catholic church, I will be watching this synod carefully. In part, it is designed to make church governance more open and inclusive of all its members.

Many people – even many practicing Catholics – may find the name “Synod on Synodality” and its purpose puzzling. What is a synod in the first place?

The word derives from an ancient Greek term that means “coming together” or “traveling together.” Ancient Christians developed a custom of local leaders coming together to pray and make decisions about matters affecting all the Christian communities in a region. They gathered in the faith that their prayers and discussions would reveal God’s will and the way to achieve it.

These gatherings came to be called “synods” and began a tradition of regional synods for bishops, as well as larger ones called “ecumenical councils.” In principle, these were for all bishops around the world to discuss issues that were consequential for the whole church.

The current “Synod on Synodality” is the culmination of all this effort to bring a greater degree of openness, collaboration and mutual listening to the church. Unlike previous synods, this one officially begins in dioceses all over the world, with opportunities for mutual consultation at every level and among many different church organizations.

When the General Assembly meets in 2023, its task will be to prayerfully consider how to move forward as “a more synodal Church in the long-term” – a church that “journeys together.”

https://theconversation.com/what-is-the ... ins-168937

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:33 pm 
Adept
Adept

Ok. Thank you.

Sounds like a synod on how to make the Catholic Church more Baptist.

No. I’m not being snarky.

Growing up our Baptist church had votes and discussions on making women deacons, if drinking alcohol in public was ok, and other such stuff. Those discussions ended up in votes before various committees. The pastor was obligated to go along with the votes of the committees since they did hire him after all.

This all sounds very similar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:45 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peetem wrote:
Ok. Thank you.

No, the Episcopal church, a church where anything goes, you can have openly gay bishops, bishops who are vocal atheists, a formal blessing for gay marriages, open communion, divorce, remarriage and cohabitation are considered no big deal, abortion is acceptable, pretty much everything except traditional Catholicism, which is the one thing this pope will not tolerate

Last edited by Doom on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:52 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:
Ok. Thank you.

No, the Episcopal church, a church where anything goes, you can have openly gay bishops, bishops who are vocal atheists, a formal blessing for gay marriages, open communion, divorce, remarriage and cohabitation bare considered no big deal, abortion is acceptable, pretty much everything except traditional Catholicism, which is the one thing this pope will not tolerate

I knew I wouldn't need to post.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:56 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:
Ok. Thank you.

No, the Episcopal church, a church where anything goes, you can have openly gay bishops, bishops who are vocal atheists, a formal blessing for gay marriages, open communion, divorce, remarriage and cohabitation bare considered no big deal, abortion is acceptable, pretty much everything except traditional Catholicism, which is the one thing this pope will not tolerate

I knew I wouldn't need to post.

Isn't it ironic that the people who call for 'tolerance' are the least tolerant among us?

One exception I can think of is Eisenhower Secretary of State John Foster Dulles, his son, Avery, converted to Catholicism band became a Jesuit, but in the words of an interview given after he was made a Cardinal by John Paul II, he praised both his parents saying that 'they were liberal Episcopalians who always talked about tolerance, and when I told them I wanted to be a Jesuit, they practiced what they preached and we're very tolerant of my decision.'. Although he does say that his father may have found Avery's conversion politically useful because having a son who was a Jesuit tended to make diplomacy with the Holy See and other Catholic countries easier.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:38 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5JgW5_IcQs&t=104s

This YouTube was very upsetting to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:35 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

They are being told by priests and bishops they dont have to give up the idolatrous practices of their culture. Afterall we cant claim one culture is better than another. No matter how maladaptive their cultural practices are, even within their own culture. The primary maladaptive cultural practice in the world is witchcraft. In Texas, Santeria and Santa Muerta are rampant but priests never reprimand these practices.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:18 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Dorothy B. wrote:

How depressing to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:58 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
p.falk wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:

How depressing to watch.

Yes, depressing. We need to pray for them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:14 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
I can tell you how it works here. The pastor will be available (as he always is) to listen to people who have concerns or questions. He will then take those things, compile them into a document, and provide to our Bishop.

The question he is asking right now is about those we know, our family members, our friends, to ask them why they have not kept practicing their faith. Instead of us assuming why people left, to simply ask them.