Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help With Prayer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:06 am 

Religion: Catholic
Hi all.

I am convinced God exists, no disagreements with any Church teachings etc. I am 100% convinced of Catholicism. No issues there.

My current prayer life since Jan 2020 consists in reading a chapter of scripture everyday and the rosary everyday, both with my family.

The issue is, I almost never want to do it. Whenever 'prayer time' comes up, I always get deflated.
Its not even that I get distracted (which obviously I do sometimes), its that when I'm praying, I am thinking I want to do something else.

I feel awful about it but I even find it a chore to say my own personal prayers at night before bed.
There have been a lot of times where I don't. I look at my phone, listen to music, stare at the ceiling, daydrem etc.
It feels like I do anything to avoid it. My relationship with Christ is 100% struggling because of this.

So, just wanted to ask for advice or any tips anyone might have regarding these feelings.
No motivation or desire to pray. I continue to do it consistently (at least together with my family) but my prayer life is in a bad way :( .

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Help With Prayer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:35 am 
Adept
Adept

If it’s any consolation, you sound like 99% of all Catholics who are trying to practice their faith.

You are learning persistence, perseverance, discipline, humility and a host of other virtues because you are a Catholic of conviction and not emotion.

Pray to the Holy Spirit for wisdom, strength and right-judgement. Set a timer for yourself each day for prayer time. When the alarm goes off, so do the electronics. Go to a quiet place and just talk with the Lord.

Other than that, the remedy for a bad prayer life (at least as you see it) is just more prayer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:52 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Do it anyway. Dry spells in prayers are perfectly normal. By persisting, you are telling God that you will spend the time with Him regardless of the state of your feelings.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:39 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

gmor8802 wrote:
Hi all.

I am convinced God exists, no disagreements with any Church teachings etc. I am 100% convinced of Catholicism. No issues there.

My current prayer life since Jan 2020 consists in reading a chapter of scripture everyday and the rosary everyday, both with my family.

The issue is, I almost never want to do it. Whenever 'prayer time' comes up, I always get deflated.
Its not even that I get distracted (which obviously I do sometimes), its that when I'm praying, I am thinking I want to do something else.

I feel awful about it but I even find it a chore to say my own personal prayers at night before bed.
There have been a lot of times where I don't. I look at my phone, listen to music, stare at the ceiling, daydrem etc.
It feels like I do anything to avoid it. My relationship with Christ is 100% struggling because of this.

So, just wanted to ask for advice or any tips anyone might have regarding these feelings.
No motivation or desire to pray. I continue to do it consistently (at least together with my family) but my prayer life is in a bad way :( .

Thank you.

Perfectly normal.

Last edited by Strider on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:47 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
We can grow spiritually when we pray during the dry times without feeling. We need to focus on the Lord and not wait for "good feelings" to come. He loves us and we need to trust Him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:08 am 

I get that these feelings are normal, its just that I've been consistent in my prayer life.
I've been 'doing everything right' and assuming that consistency would make prayer less of a chore for me but it hasn't.
That is what has me disappointed in myself.

Also has to do with me comparing myself to a time where I did actually enjoy prayer and where I had a deep relationship with God.
The idea that I've had a strong prayer life before so I can do it again kind of thing but seeing no change has me disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Read Searching for and Maintaining Peace, by Fr. Jacques Philippe. When you're done, read it again.

Need something to read?