Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 5   [ 87 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trial of Galileo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:06 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
I think I understand your point. And, if I understand it, I generally agree with it.

In general, in modernity, I don't think interpretation of data is the entire issue. Rather, it is the repudiation of and/or ignoring data that is the issue. Coupled with the invention of data based upon the needs of the interpreter/inventor. In short, it is the perversion of the scientific method by political and ideological "scientists". IMHO, that is.

Whether my opinion or yours can be applied to the cosmological model, as I understand it, it debatable. I suppose that I hold to it as an adequate working hypothesis ... given several recent problems it has with newly revealed information.

Let's let is rest there.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:14 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Highlander wrote:
I think I understand your point. And, if I understand it, I generally agree with it.

In general, in modernity, I don't think interpretation of data is the entire issue. Rather, it is the repudiation of and/or ignoring data that is the issue. Coupled with the invention of data based upon the needs of the interpreter/inventor. In short, it is the perversion of the scientific method by political and ideological "scientists". IMHO, that is.

Whether my opinion or yours can be applied to the cosmological model, as I understand it, it debatable. I suppose that I hold to it as an adequate working hypothesis ... given several recent problems it has with newly revealed information.

Let's let is rest there.

Ok. You can stop if you want. I, however, must convert the rest of the world.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:21 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Convert away, my good man! Convert away!

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Highlander wrote:
Convert away, my good man! Convert away!

Thank you! I am always in need of prayers. The hardest people to convert are my fellow Catholics who are convinced the cosmological principle is an established scientific fact. Very sad, if only because once that principle is removed a universe conforming to divine revelation appears. So, you can see why I think that principle is from the devil herself[<--pax being politically correct].

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:33 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
Not to mention his satirical writings that made his one time friend, and current pope, look the complete ass. He made the pope his enemy, and I think that had a lot to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:40 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Servant of Guadalupe wrote:
Not to mention his satirical writings that made his one time friend, and current pope, look the complete ass. He made the pope his enemy, and I think that had a lot to do with it.

Can the Church proclaim his doctrine that the earth goes around the sun to be contrary to the Catholic Faith on the wounded ego of a reigning pope? I do not believe that is possible. The words of the Council of Trent were still ringing in their ears, especially the teaching that no one could interpret Scripture contrary to the unanimous consent of the Fathers, and the Fathers were unanimous that the earth was fixed and immobile. On the other hand, the pope did allow without hesistation that Galileo could teach Copernicism as an hypothesis on the grounds that it was a better tool for the mathematicians to use. The only restriction placed upon him was that he could not teach it as a fact, which he did, and which got him placed under house arrest in a palatial mansion, and from which he could journey whither he willed, for the rest of his life. I think they even voted him a stipend for the rest of his life. No wonder those churchmen are so decried for their cruelty! Oh! That someone would be so cruel to me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
pax wrote:

Can the Church proclaim his doctrine that the earth goes around the sun to be contrary to the Catholic Faith on the wounded ego of a reigning pope? I do not believe that is possible. The words of the Council of Trent were still ringing in their ears, especially the teaching that no one could interpret Scripture contrary to the unanimous consent of the Fathers, and the Fathers were unanimous that the earth was fixed and immobile. On the other hand, the pope did allow without hesistation that Galileo could teach Copernicism as an hypothesis on the grounds that it was a better tool for the mathematicians to use. The only restriction placed upon him was that he could not teach it as a fact, which he did, and which got him placed under house arrest in a palatial mansion, and from which he could journey whither he willed, for the rest of his life. I think they even voted him a stipend for the rest of his life. No wonder those churchmen are so decried for their cruelty! Oh! That someone would be so cruel to me!

This is not faith or morals...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:53 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
pax wrote:

This is not faith or morals...

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:19 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
There are times when I think that Pax is an unintentional parody of traditionalist Catholics....some of the claims that he is willing to claim are 'official teaching' of the Church.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:25 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Doom wrote:
There are times when I think that Pax is an unintentional parody of traditionalist Catholics....some of the claims that he is willing to claim are 'official teaching' of the Church.....

There are times when I see just how deeply Modernism has penetrated into the Church, and the lengths to which people will go to uphold error.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:53 am 

Galileo was ordered to turn himself in to the Holy Office to begin trial for holding the belief that the Earth revolves around the sun, which was deemed heretical by the Catholic Church. Standard practice demanded that the accused be imprisoned and secluded during the trial.
https://www.polinaleroy.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:12 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Welcome to the forum, but I would be quite remiss if I didn't point out that you are simply wrong about what got Gallileo into trouble with the Church. Nothing that Gallileo said regarding the science ran against the teachings of the Church. His insistence that the Church issue an official interpretation of the scriptures that supported his view is what got him in to trouble.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:33 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
Zeno wrote:
Welcome to the forum, but I would be quite remiss if I didn't point out that you are simply wrong about what got Gallileo into trouble with the Church. Nothing that Gallileo said regarding the science ran against the teachings of the Church. His insistence that the Church issue an official interpretation of the scriptures that supported his view is what got him in to trouble.

That plus lampooning the current Pope Urban VIII as "Simplico." If he'd tried that with Henry VIII, he'd have been beheaded.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:38 pm 

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Beat me to it!

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:00 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

I guess I could have just said see previous 4 pages for details. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:35 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

How do newbies come up with these ancient threads? And why do they choose ancient discussions to respond to?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:07 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: 4th KofC
Signum Crucis wrote:
How do newbies come up with these ancient threads? And why do they choose ancient discussions to respond to?

Classic topics never wear out.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:37 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I blame gherkin. Maybe this wouldn’t happen if he were banned. It’s gotta be worth a try, right?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I blame gherkin. Maybe this wouldn’t happen if he were banned. It’s gotta be worth a try, right?

:scratch:

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 5   [ 87 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next