Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well, at the mass I went to the priest never said thse who aren't Catholic can't do communion. And, none of the ushers asked my faith. If I didn't know from this board, I may of taken communion. But, its not bein rude if I don't know better, in my opinion. I think any visitor to a church who's not a member of it if its Catholic should be asked. Or all visitors should be given a welcome pamphlet/booklet which explains the rules of communion.

so maybe they didn't know any better.

"One single act of love will make us know Jesus better...It will bring us closer to him for all eternity." -----St. Therese of Liseux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:59 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
In my parish only those known to the Priest may receive Communion. So if your a visiting Catholic from another parish, it is best to introduce yourself before hand.

Centuries ago, visitors and catechumens left after the Liturgy of the Word and only full members were ever present for the Eucharist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:45 pm 

metal1633 wrote:
In my parish only those known to the Priest may receive Communion. So if your a visiting Catholic from another parish, it is best to introduce yourself before hand.

Centuries ago, visitors and catechumens left after the Liturgy of the Word and only full members were ever present for the Eucharist.

This practice has actually been reinstituted in the RCIA at least in my parish. The group leaves after the LotW and goes to another part of the church for an instructional period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:16 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Rome Sweet Home
St Veronica wrote:
:ermm

What seminary did he go to?????? Sheesh.

SV

Our Lady of Mail Order Ordination Seminary? This is sad but a reflection of the greater Church at large, methinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:30 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

GoodSamaritan wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
:ermm

What seminary did he go to?????? Sheesh.

SV

Our Lady of Mail Order Ordination Seminary? This is sad but a reflection of the greater Church at large, methinks.

::):

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject: Re: This is ridiculous!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:57 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
ressourcement wrote:
Written by a priest, no less?! A letter addressed to the Holy Father... oh brother!

http://www.nationalcatholicreporter.org ... /index.htm

"The most difficult part comes when, unlike Christians who refuse to have anything to do with others' religious beliefs, Hindus and Sikhs are ready to accept Christ as one of the incarnations of God, and willing to worship him and abide by his teaching without giving up faith in their traditional beliefs."

"You alone are Holy;
You alone are Lord;
You alone, O Jesus Christ, are the Most High."

Methinks Dominic Emmanuel needs to go to Mass more often.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:03 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Here in Britain we have a very large Indian/Asian community, and in our church we also have British Indians, whom Fr John knows to be Hindu, visiting our church on a Sunday morning and attending Mass (although they sit right at the back and I've never seen any of them go up to receive H.Communion). They once explained to Fr John that as they have some 5000 'deities', Jesus is to them one of the many 'gods' they honour. From talking to the Catholic British Indians in our church, I heard this was quite a common thing in India: Hindus who worship in several shrines dedicated to different 'gods' and then come to 'worship' one of their lesser 'gods':Jesus. So, in that context the priests letter is not as outrageous as it might seem to an American Catholic reading this. Sure the priest knows the answer the Pope will give...but he is also dealing with a very real situation. And don't forget: Indian Catholics tend to do the same thing, but the other way round. First to Mass on a Sunday and then, if they have special needs or prayers they go to one of the Hindy shrines to offer rice and flowers to their favourite non-Catholic 'God'...their point being that 'It can't hurt to spread out a little', as was once said to me by a British Indian who still sees this going on every time he visits his family in Goa.

Anna x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:20 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Anna, it is a violation of the first commandment to honor or worship any other God besides the True God. Any pagan worship is to be totally condemned.

JESUS IS NOT A LESSER God. He is the only true God.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:47 am 
Citizen
Citizen

As the priest observes all the Hindus coming to the Catholic Mass, hopefully he will be inspired to teach them that there is one God, and that Jesus Christ is Lord.

What an opportunity for a harvest of souls! With God all things are possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:28 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

What are the chances that Pope Linus would have recieved the following letter

Quote:
Your Holiness Pope Linus,

My sincere congratulations to you on your election! It came as something of a surprise although I believe the right decision was made. As a spokesperson for the church in Corinth, I have had several opportunities to speak for you and the church in the past months. Some studends of a popular philosophical academy asked me to tell me that I defended Your Holiness well on a program that held that the church would become ultra-conservative under your leadership.

I know that you are not so naïve as not to imagine what apprehensions many people initially had with your election. I believe that here in Corinth the fears of those who were particularly anxious are being gradually laid to rest.

In this Year of the Eucharist I would like to share a major problem with you that practically all of us in India often face, and not without some embarrassment.
Despite Christians being a minority in Corinth, foreigners visiting our country are surprised to see that our churches are always full. It is pointed out to them that so are the Roman temples, Greek Oracles and stadia and that Corinthians, by and large, are a religious-minded people in search of the Divine. Here in Corinth, hundreds of people visit the cathedral regularly. Most of them are Roman or Greeks who spend time reverently in prayer and silence and many of them even light a candle before leaving the church.

Such scenes are moving and often ignite within me an evangelistic zeal to reach out to them. Many of these Romans and Greeks, who comprise nearly 82 percent of the Corinthain population, return to attend the Mass, often showing greater devotion than many of our own Catholic faithful. And yet before the distribution of the Holy Communion, the celebrant is heard to announce that peoples of other religions should not come forward to receive the Eucharist.

I have seen the faces of those being excluded suddenly fall with sadness. Some of them become angry at this exclusivist stand of the church. Two years ago I met a man who vowed never to go to a Catholic church again because of this prohibition. What could I say to his question, "Do you think if I approached Jesus Christ in person, he would tell me to first go and fulfill the requirements of baptism and confession and then come back to meet him?"

I am no theologian and may fail to put my arguments coherently, but our particular difficulty as Christians in Corinth, while relating to 80 percent Pagans; 2 percent Jews; 2 percent Egyptians; 0.5 percent Pythagoreans and smaller numbers of pantheists and others, is the stand taken in Dominus Jesus with regard to other religions.

Dominus Jesus states: "If it is true that the followers of other religions can receive divine grace, it is also certain that objectively speaking they are in a gravely deficient situation in comparison with those who, in the church, have the fullness of the means of salvation." (no. 22) Such a position can surely be detrimental for dialogue with other religions to reach a common meeting ground, and gives Christians a superior place vis-à-vis their counterparts in society.

It is true that we should avoid any suggestion of syncretism or relativism that some Asian theologians seem to have strayed into, but the problem of living alongside people of other religions and sharing humanity is constantly problematic. It should be recognized that there are very many enlightened, God-fearing and morally upright individuals among people of other religions as well as Christianity.

The most difficult part comes when, unlike Christians who refuse to have anything to do with others' religious beliefs, Romans and Greeks are ready to accept Christ as one of the incarnations of God, and willing to worship him and abide by his teaching without giving up faith in their traditional beliefs.

How can we continue to build bridges with them and share a common humanity so as to build a peaceful and harmonious society without compromising our own identity?
Wishing you all the best in the difficult task of leading the church in these times and promising to say a special prayer for you, I remain,
Yours sincerely in the Divine Word,

Dominicus Emmanuelus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:24 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Over the years, a few families have actually converted...but as I said: they see nothing wrong with going to a Hindu Shrine 'just to be on the safe side' if they have a prayer request. When I was at the Cite Secours in Lourdes a few years ago, we saw the same thing: Indian pilgrims who, on closer inspection, were Hindus, coming to Lourdes to 'worship' Mary :roll: ...I know, I know...I'm not saying this because I agree with it, just as a 'background information' on why this priest might have written the letter.

Anna x

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2