Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help: History of the Bible
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:12 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I have a friend who is an ill-informed Lutheran, and I relish the chance to educate him. I just need some help in finding supporting documentation.

He claimed the other day that the Catholic Church at one point kept the Bible locked up in order to deny the laity access to it. Apparently the Church did this because they were "inventing" doctrines such as Purgatory that had no scriptural basis, and they didn't want to blow their cover. I replied that they actually kept the Bible locked up because the Bible was not, at that time, in mass circulation (due to the lack of a printing press), and many people did not have access to the Bible. Thus, they provided a public Bible, so to speak, that was kept locked down so it would not be stolen by anyone. First of all, am I right here? And if so, what proof can I provide?

My friend was also unaware about the difference between Catholic and non-Catholic bibles, and about Luther's decision to trim the scriptures up a bit. Where can I find information about Luther's wonderful editing job and the reasons behind it?

Thanks much in advance!

Post subject: Re: Help: History of the Bible
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:20 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
marie0006 wrote:
I have a friend who is an ill-informed Lutheran, and I relish the chance to educate him. I just need some help in finding supporting documentation.

He claimed the other day that the Catholic Church at one point kept the Bible locked up in order to deny the laity access to it. Apparently the Church did this because they were "inventing" doctrines such as Purgatory that had no scriptural basis, and they didn't want to blow their cover. I replied that they actually kept the Bible locked up because the Bible was not, at that time, in mass circulation (due to the lack of a printing press), and many people did not have access to the Bible. Thus, they provided a public Bible, so to speak, that was kept locked down so it would not be stolen by anyone. First of all, am I right here? And if so, what proof can I provide?

My friend was also unaware about the difference between Catholic and non-Catholic bibles, and about Luther's decision to trim the scriptures up a bit. Where can I find information about Luther's wonderful editing job and the reasons behind it?

Thanks much in advance!

David Hoge has the best articles on these subjects on his website... http://catholicoutlook.com/objections.php#The%20Bible

You may have to scroll down a bit to the "Bible" objections... But, your questions are answered there...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:30 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

You mean Gary Hoge?

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject: Re: Help: History of the Bible
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:30 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

forumjunkie wrote:
marie0006 wrote:

Thanks much in advance!

David Hoge has the best articles on these subjects on his website... http://catholicoutlook.com/objections.php#The%20Bible

You may have to scroll down a bit to the "Bible" objections... But, your questions are answered there...

FJ

I also liked these articles...

http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ325.HTM
http://socrates58.blogspot.com/2004_09_ ... 9350783122

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:32 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

bonaventure wrote:
You mean Gary Hoge?

Heh... I guess it HAS been a while since I have been there... Used to be my little home on the net until I stumbled upon you losers... :)

Yes, Gary Hoge... No offence Gary... Your website and articles are still the most referenced and recommended by me...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:40 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Thank you, FJ! Looks like some good stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:57 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Find a copy of Where We Got The Bible.

Need something to read?