Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: This is ridiculous!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: Ohio, originally from Portland Oregon/SW Washington
Written by a priest, no less?! A letter addressed to the Holy Father... oh brother!

http://www.nationalcatholicreporter.org ... /index.htm

Visit my Website: http://nouvelletheologie.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: This is rediculous!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:20 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
resourcement wrote:
Written by a priest, no less?! A letter addressed to the Holy Father... oh brother!

:barf:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I'm afraid that's precisely why Dominus Iesus was released.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Yeah...

Maybe we should write father a letter?

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:48 pm 

:ermm

What seminary did he go to?????? Sheesh.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:55 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

resourcement wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Yeah...

Ummm... I think Dominus Iesus was pretty clear and understandable... Do you REALLY think you would be able to write something that he would understand? I don't think so... The whole thing sounds contrived... He is a modernist who is trying to appear orthodox... It is a wolf in sheeps clothing... No one writes like that... especially a priest to the pope.... UNLESS!!!! ... unless you know it will be published in the NCR and read by other braindead Catholics... Then, you will fill it with enough big words to sound legit, but have it mostly filled with ridiculously over emotionalized stories of poor budhists who don't want to be Catholic, but want to come to our Churches, but don't like our teachings, so they want us to change our teachings so they can continue to come to our Churches... ???... there is a popular shorthand in chat that is appropriate here that is three letters... it begins with 'w' ends in 'f' and has a 't' in the middle...

I do thank you for posting it, though... I am writing a letter to the editor about this one that will most certainly not get printed...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:56 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

St Veronica wrote:
:ermm

What seminary did he go to?????? Sheesh.

SV

The funny thing was that he acts like he doesn't know what he is talking about, but uses all the right language and proper documentation...

Thus, he is either VERY ignorant, but is able to communicate well.

Or, he is VERY ___________, and is being sarcastic.

??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:59 pm 

There was a weird tone to the letter if you ask me. It's possible I'm reading something into it not there....but asking the pope what he's supposed to tell non-Catholics when they want to receive Communion but can't????? Come on.

He KNOWS the answer....he just disagrees with it.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:02 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

St Veronica wrote:
There was a weird tone to the letter if you ask me. It's possible I'm reading something into it not there....but asking the pope what he's supposed to tell non-Catholics when they want to receive Communion but can't????? Come on.

He KNOWS the answer....he just disagrees with it.

SV

That is why I think he was being disingenuous... I think he disagrees with it as well, but I am more bothered by the former than the latter...

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

forumjunkie wrote:
resourcement wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Yeah...

Ummm... I think Dominus Iesus was pretty clear and understandable... Do you REALLY think you would be able to write something that he would understand? I don't think so... The whole thing sounds contrived... He is a modernist who is trying to appear orthodox... It is a wolf in sheeps clothing... No one writes like that... especially a priest to the pope.... UNLESS!!!! ... unless you know it will be published in the NCR and read by other braindead Catholics... Then, you will fill it with enough big words to sound legit, but have it mostly filled with ridiculously over emotionalized stories of poor budhists who don't want to be Catholic, but want to come to our Churches, but don't like our teachings, so they want us to change our teachings so they can continue to come to our Churches... ???... there is a popular shorthand in chat that is appropriate here that is three letters... it begins with 'w' ends in 'f' and has a 't' in the middle...

I do thank you for posting it, though... I am writing a letter to the editor about this one that will most certainly not get printed...

FJ

If you are careful about your words, sound like you know what you are talking about, but make it seem, by your questions and concerns, that you don't know what you are talking about, then it has a good chance of getting printed, apparently, in the NCR.

Seriously, though... If you are serious and honest they might print it. If you are loud, angry, etc. then they may use it for dart practice.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:07 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

resourcement wrote:
forumjunkie wrote:
resourcement wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Yeah...

FJ

If you are careful about your words, sound like you know what you are talking about, but make it seem, by your questions and concerns, that you don't know what you are talking about, then it has a good chance of getting printed, apparently, in the NCR.

Seriously, though... If you are serious and honest they might print it. If you are loud, angry, etc. then they may use it for dart practice.

Justin

:laughhard

Perfect!... Just perfect!!

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:09 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

resourcement wrote:
forumjunkie wrote:
resourcement wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Yeah...

FJ

Justin

Perhaps I'll include a story about how it offended all of my wiccan friends because they were oppressed by not being included in the original letter, so they want equal time...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:38 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

forumjunkie wrote:
resourcement wrote:
forumjunkie wrote:
resourcement wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Yeah...

FJ

Justin

Perhaps I'll include a story about how it offended all of my wiccan friends because they were oppressed by not being included in the original letter, so they want equal time...

FJ

nice...

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:49 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

can comeone sum it up for me in lamest terms?

other faiths doing communion?

"One single act of love will make us know Jesus better...It will bring us closer to him for all eternity." -----St. Therese of Liseux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:57 pm 
Hammer of Heretics
Hammer of Heretics

resourcement wrote:

I submit that we would hardly ever see such letters if Assisi never had taken place and the theology behind such prayer meetings stayed locked up in the minds of those who foisted it upon the Church.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:26 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Matthew wrote:
resourcement wrote:

I submit that we would hardly ever see such letters if Assisi never had taken place and the theology behind such prayer meetings stayed locked up in the minds of those who foisted it upon the Church.

Well, maybe. But I think there were many people saying similar things before "Assisi" ever happend.

Justin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:39 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
resourcement wrote:

I am sorry, I hate to be a grammer Nazi, but this is one of my pet peeves, the word is spelled 'ridiculous', as in 'deserving of ridicule'.... and not 'rediculous' and 'diculous again'.

About the letter, it seems pretty clear to me that his deferenece to the Pope is intended sarcastically.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:43 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Doom wrote:
and not 'rediculous' and 'diculous again'.

Perhaps that's the sense the author intended? It could have been diculous the first time, but this time just takes the cake.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:16 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
resourcement wrote:

I am sorry, I hate to be a grammer Nazi, but this is one of my pet peeves, the word is spelled 'ridiculous', as in 'deserving of ridicule'.... and not 'rediculous' and 'diculous again'.

About the letter, it seems pretty clear to me that his deferenece to the Pope is intended sarcastically.

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:40 am 
Citizen
Citizen

<<can comeone sum it up for me in lamest terms?

other faiths doing communion? >>

MSG,

If I understand the above correctly, there were hindus and those of other faiths who were coming to Mass (no doubt they were aware that something holy was going on) and they wanted to receive the Eucharist.

This cannot be allowed until, if they desire to convert, they go through a period of instruction. Obedience and meekness are virtues that help us grow in God's grace.
The priest in charge there should be open to their wanting to be at Mass, but also teach them why they cannot receive.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next