Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Book: "On the Way to Jesus Christ", Ratzinger (10/2005)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: Ohio, originally from Portland Oregon/SW Washington
New Book: On The Way to Jesus Christ, Joseph Ratzinger.
Release Date: October, 2005 (Ignatius Press)
Comments on pre-preleased bound galley copy for review.

For good or bad, Christ wears many mask's in the face of modern society. The plurality of unorthodox or, at least, Christo-minimalistic Christologies have been mounting with great speed since Albert Schweizer's Quest for the Historical Jesus hit the bookstores in the early 1900's. Never in the history of christendom has Christ looked more alien to his own Gospels than He does today.

Joseph Ratzinger, our new Pope Benedict XVI, sees Jesus in a different way. In his newest book, On the Way to Jesus Christ, Ratzinger, "unveils the true Jesus of the Gospels, the one who was indeed crucified for his 'unpopular' teachings of so many years ago." The "popular Jesus makes no demands and never challenges people", but this "phantom" is not the "historical Jesus".

On The Way to Jesus Christ--to be published this October, 2005--is about the true Jesus; the Jesus of the Gospels; the Jesus that the martyrs would die for; the Jesus that was demanding and bold in the face of opposition.

One of four books by Ratzinger to be published by Ignatius Press this year, On the Way to Jesus Chirst has a mission: the articles "...are all meant to be attempts to approach Jesus." They are "a search for his authentic, undiminished figure" the Pope says. "The crisis of faith in modern times began with a modified way of reading Sacred Scripture--seemingly the sole scientific way. The question of how we should read the Bible is inseperably bound up with the question about Christ. I hope that this book, with all its imperfections, can still be a help on the way to Jesus."

It includes more than reflections about the "historical Jesus". On the Way to Jesus Christ also has timely reflections about the current state of the CCC, asking "Is the Catechism of the Catholic Church up to date?" (Reflections Ten Years After Its Publication), with another article on "Universality and Catholicity".

Will the Pope's new book be lost in the sea of Jesus portraits? Maybe, but let us hope that at least in the Church the confusion can begin to dispel on just "who" Jesus of Nazareth was.

Justin

Visit my Website: http://nouvelletheologie.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:40 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Religion: Catholic
Is this going to be a work of Christology or is it going to be more of a work of spirituality?

I'm reading Karl Adam's book on Christology right now and it is very good. It deals alot with the assumptions of "critical" exegesis and those like Schweizer.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

bonaventure wrote:
Is this going to be a work of Christology or is it going to be more of a work of spirituality?

I'm reading Karl Adam's book on Christology right now and it is very good. It deals alot with the assumptions of "critical" exegesis and those like Schweizer.

It is a "Christology", if nothing else. Asspirations of a "true" Christology. Surely, the book is little and, in like manner to much of his work published in the last many years, it is a compilation of mutiple related works, but it is very good. I am sure it is going to sell.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:54 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Man I've got to get a second Job!
I can't afford to buy any more books right now. (My wife would kill me - I think I bought over 1000$ in books last year from the Catholic company, Barnes and Noble, and Ignatius Press.)
I'd like to Get some of the Pope's Books- what would you all recommend to someone who could probably justify 2 more books this year to his wife.

Disagreement and error among men on moral and religious matters have always been a cause of profound sorrow to all good men, but above all to the true and loyal sons of the Church, especially today, when we see the principles of Christian culture being attacked on all sides. -Pope Pius XII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:04 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
He is publishing 4 new books this year? :? 4? This guy is more prolific than Stephen King (the most prolific of modern authors). Anyway, I hope that he continues writing and publishing books as Pope, that would be a better to way to spend his time, than writing encyclicals that no one will read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:28 am 

Hey I loved reading Pope John Paul 2 encyclicals they were like a Bible Study on a particular topic I can get tired reading long books but encyclicals were just short enough to catch my attention I loved reading them and hoped this Pope would carry on this tradition but he seems to have a style all his own and is a prolific writer in his own way but Pope John Paul 2 wrote theology for the comman man and their is a lot to be said for that.

" They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which that Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes" (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2–7:1 [A.D. 110]). Ignatius of Antioch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:45 am 
King of Cool

tobit wrote:
Pope John Paul 2 wrote theology for the comman man and their is a lot to be said for that.

Theology for the common man? His writing style was so obscure it was never at all clear what he was saying. Even the most educated theologians were puzzled by his writings. His prose, while not as bad as say, Immanuel Kant (who is unreadable) was nevertheless very difficult to read. Look at it this way: the best Papal encyclicals will be read by, maybe, 200,000 people worldwide, and ignored ever after. But, a book published by THE POPE and selling in every bookstore, will sell 4-5 MILLION copies no problem. Which venue will ensure a larger readership? No question!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

mike m wrote:
Man I've got to get a second Job!
I can't afford to buy any more books right now. (My wife would kill me - I think I bought over 1000$ in books last year from the Catholic company, Barnes and Noble, and Ignatius Press.)
I'd like to Get some of the Pope's Books- what would you all recommend to someone who could probably justify 2 more books this year to his wife.

First, get your books from Amazon.com, if you are getting them new. If you spend over 25$ you will get free shipping and handling, plus most of the books are sold at a very large discount.

The books...

Simple ones:

1. Interviews... Ratzinger Report, Salt of the Earth, God and the World
2. The Nature and Mission of Theology
3. Pilgrim Fellowship of Faith

More Advanced ones:

1. Introduction to Christianity
2. Principles of Catholic Theology
3. Dogmatic Theology: Eschatology
4. The God of Jesus Christ

That is a good start.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:50 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

thank you reSsourcement for the List.

Disagreement and error among men on moral and religious matters have always been a cause of profound sorrow to all good men, but above all to the true and loyal sons of the Church, especially today, when we see the principles of Christian culture being attacked on all sides. -Pope Pius XII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:51 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
tobit wrote:
Pope John Paul 2 wrote theology for the comman man and their is a lot to be said for that.

Theology for the common man? His writing style was so obscure it was never at all clear what he was saying. Even the most educated theologians were puzzled by his writings. His prose, while not as bad as say, Immanuel Kant (who is unreadable) was nevertheless very difficult to read. Look at it this way: the best Papal encyclicals will be read by, maybe, 200,000 people worldwide, and ignored ever after. But, a book published by THE POPE and selling in every bookstore, will sell 4-5 MILLION copies no problem. Which venue will ensure a larger readership? No question!

I saw a replay of last Friday's EWTN "World Over" with Raymond Arroyo who was interviewing Fr. Joseph Fessio of Ave Maria Univ and IGNATIUS PRESS (which publishes Cardinal Ratzinger/Pope Benedict's books in English). Fr Fessio said that IGNATIUS has sold nearly half a million total books by him, including nearly 200,000 since he became Pope!

{Discouraging comparison: The 6th Harry Potter book supposedly sold nearly 7 million copies on the first day! My facetious comment in another thread about Cardinal Ratzinger being against Harry Potter because of jealousy about sales is reinforced.}

Edward Pothier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:20 pm 
King of Cool

Edward Pothier wrote:
{Discouraging comparison: The 6th Harry Potter book supposedly sold nearly 7 million copies on the first day! My facetious comment in another thread about Cardinal Ratzinger being against Harry Potter because of jealousy about sales is reinforced.}

Edward Pothier

I don't see what is discouraging about that, one can't reasonably expect a book of very complex Catholic theology to appeal to as large an audience as a pop-culture phenom like Harry Potter. 200,000 copies of some very difficult books in 2 months time is pretty good!